Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 10:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

59% (02:36) correct 41% (01:30) wrong based on 104 sessions
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.
M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT QUESTION [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 18:57
A.

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: LSAT QUESTION [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 21:36
Please explain....
The OA is A
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 697 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT QUESTION [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 22:57
It's b/w A and D.

(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.

Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong [means Mr. J's conculsion is wrong]. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

Here, experience and valuable preparation doesnt indicate any impediment to running the govt. Rather these point indicate that Mr. S thought Mr. J is not suitable to the task.

pheonix wrote:
Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.
Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.
M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellog, Haas, Ross, Yale
WE 1: R&D - Product Design
WE 2: EPC

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: LSAT QUESTION [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2010, 16:26
I feel that eliminating wrong answers may be the best way to go, leaving us with A as the best option out of the possible answers.

- Mr. J does not say this. He does imply that Many voters would not vote for a businessman with no political experience. What about a Lawyer with no political experience? This statement says No Candidate, regardless of previous work/career experience, has been elected without political experience.

- Mr. J says the exact opposite

- This implies a bit much and could be argued that pursuit of profits could lead to a better run government or corruption. Either way out of scope.

- Mr. J does not speak for the voters, here he is giving his own reasoning and not that of general voters.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election [#permalink] New post 26 May 2012, 19:55
I would vote for A. Here is my reasoning:
Correct. J doubts the experience (a businessman with no political experience) and qualification (a businessman) of the Steven. Clearly, J is not convinced about the qualifications of Steven.
An exaggerated answer. It is difficult to make out such an assumption from the given argument. After negating it, we get "At least one candidate without..". The argument does not provide any such information.
Opposite Answer. J believes that a businessman need political experience to take part in the election for governor.
Exaggerated/Shell Game Answer. J believes that businessman can run for the post of a governor provided he has the political experience.
Voters are able to estimate correctly the value of political experience. "Few voters are willing to elect a businessman..."
Re: Mr. Janeck: I don t believe Stevenson will win the election   [#permalink] 26 May 2012, 19:55