Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 09:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MS + 40 months work exp

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
MS + 40 months work exp [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 05:42
I am a mechanical engineer by profession and have a Master of Science in Mechanical engineering(GPA~3.6) from a reputed university in the US. Work experience is about 40 months. I am eying the top 10 schools in Asia and the UK (eg. LBS, INSEAD,Judge, Said). I am yet to take my GMAT.

I have not seen the mention of how much a masters degree (in engineering) contributes to the admission process.
Can someone help me out with some information?
Does a Masters degree contribute in a big way? Will it be considered as a couple of years of research/work experience?
Will I have a added advantage if I am competing with another applicant with a BS ( Higher GMAT Score) ?

What is a range of GMAT score required for someone with my profile to make it into the top 10?

Any opinions/constructive criticisms welcome and appreciated
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MS + 40 months work exp [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 11:07
Does a Masters degree contribute in a big way? Will it be considered as a couple of years of research/work experience? Will I have a added advantage if I am competing with another applicant with a BS ( Higher GMAT Score) ?
I don't think so. Leadership, international work experience or even an own company will help you more. Additionally, volunteer work and additional language skills may be benefical.

What is a range of GMAT score required for someone with my profile to make it into the top 10?
To be honest, at least the average score of the target school (i.e. 680-710 range). But since many schools accept applicants with 710+ scores, someone with a lower average score has to bring down the average score. I personally believe that your ambition and the story in your well-written essays and interviews, the "Why MBA and why now", are much more important than the GMAT score (my 2 cents). Additionally, your nationality, age and gender will influence Adcom in their decision. But who understands the logic of Adcoms? :lol:

Any opinions/constructive criticisms welcome and appreciated.
I would recommend any applicant to meet school representatives at MBA fairs, talk to alumni, visit the schools and make sure that your interest in the schools is clear BEFORE applying. Try to get in touch with someone of the school staff. As I mentioned above, the GMAT is only one part of your application. Be sure that you have enough time for your essays, that have to be brilliant, and mocking interviews. Good luck & cheers!

Last edited by catgmat on 30 Jun 2008, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MS + 40 months work exp [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 21:12
Thanks CAT. I appreciate your response. I have 40 months of international experience though.
Re: MS + 40 months work exp   [#permalink] 29 Jun 2008, 21:12