Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MS(Finance) at London Business School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MS(Finance) at London Business School [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 07:05
Dear All,

Hi! I am new to this forum and this happens to be my first post. I must appreciate that GMAT Club is a knowledge powerhouse for potential MBA/MS candidates and GRE/GMAT aspirants.

My query is regarding entry to the MS Finance program at London Business School. But first, a detailed introduction to my profile.

I am an Electical engineer from a top engineering college in India (not IIT) , with average academics (first class without distinction), and will have 3 years experience with a reputed Mumbai-based knowledge services company as an offshore Equities analyst (by Sept '08). My GMAT score is 730.

My job profile: Equity research for a major American Investment bank client, along with a NY-based lead analyst. Despite being the only non-MBA/CA/CFA (i.e. just an engineering graduate) in the entire 100-member equity research team, I was interviewed by the client and was initially selected as a sector expert (though my designation was analyst), basically for back-end database updation for the US capital goods sector - because the person who did that had resigned. I was interviewed among two others - both fresh MBAs with no prior experience - and was selected because the analyst needed a replacement who could do the murky job.

Together with him, I strated tracking capital goods and though initially I only focused on simple maintainance stuff/ writing thematic sector-specific articles, within 3 months I began doing 50-70% of what a stock analyst does - except meeting the clients/front end - and within 6 months, in terms of the performance ratings I was at par or outperformed existing members of my 10-membered cap goods and diversified/ conglomerates team. I am referring to MBA/CAs because my perdormance is always stacked against theirs.

Within 8 months, I could independently create and update financial models, perform DCF and multiples valuations and write complete (i.e. end-to-end) equity research reports for my analyst - who could spend most of his time marketing. This is of course, on top of a strong understanding of the capital goods sector. He then called me to NY office for a month, where I covered Q2 results with him. Since then, I have been to the client's NY office twice, for a total of 2.5 months.

Within 15 months, I began training new recruits on report writing, financial writing, and capital goods sector updates. I was then promoted within the team, and assumed higher responsibilities - such as interviewing potential job applicants to my company. Let me re-iterate that am employed with a 1,500 employee strong finance-back office in Mumbai and not an investment bank - I work for the ibank client analyst. I have good client interface as I communicate with my analyst on a daily (rather continuous basis). He is a VP, and along with him another VP-level stock analyst in NY is willing to recommend me.

On a separate note, I have won certificates in litrary activities such as debates, GDs etc and other events such as Business plan and business case contest in college. I am a member of the red cross society, donate enough to sponsor 5 cataract operations each year, and also 1 child's education for a year. Overall, I am satisfied with my career progress till date, and have been able to achieve an optimum combination that leverages my engineering skills, and acquired-on-job finance and sector skills. But going forward, I do not have the required qualifications to join the front-end in an investment bank in a major financial hub.

Coming back, looking at my profile, what are my odds for the LBS MS(Finance) program ? Please comment. It was my genuine interest in finance that made me foray in this field and to my understanding, MS-Finance program will fulfill my career objectives.

Also, please suggest with my profile, what other options can I consider ?

Regards
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2007, 12:08
Hi C,

It was very interesting reading through your background. I think you show many of the good traits the MiF is looking for:

1- A can-do attitude in the fact that you did not have a finance background and were able to quickly learn about the complex world of equity research
2- Ability to perform at least as well as your finance educated peers
3- International experience
4- Last but not least, good GMAT score

I would clearly suggest you to apply as the MiF is mainly tailored to candidates with prior finance experience (rather than acedemic background), which is something you do have. Some questions/issues you should consider are:

1- Why the MiF rather than the MBA?
2- You should elaborate more about your charity work as if it is only funding which was involved, it would not necessarily count as "charity work". Please don't mistake me; It is good to give back to others the chance you had yourself at being where you are today but your extra-curricular would be stronger by giving examples where you also "put yourself at work" for a cause.

If you write good essays (which should not be a problem given your background) and can properly articulate your genuine desire to transfer from Mumbai to London and from research to a front-office type job, you have a solid shot at the program.

You may want to inquire about MSc programs from prestigious US schools as well but most of those are more quantitative programs which will require you to do the GRE instead. The MiF is really a hybrid program which is all finance driven but at the same time is much more from a practicioner's rather than an academic's point of view. Moreover, though the MiF is really an MSc, it will put you at par with MBAs when time comes to get a job.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2007, 03:01
Thanks Paul for your encouraging reply ! Looking at my profile, what, according to you are my odds for the following programs ?

1. LSE MSc(Finance)
2. Oxford MFE
3. Princeton MS(Finance)
4. CMU Tepper MSCF

All of them accept GMAT (as well as GRE test) scores. It would be great if you could also answer the follwing quick one as well:

a. Being an Indian, is it generally easier to find a high-paying job in the UK or in the US ?

I am targetting a job with any AMC(i.e buy side)/Hedge-Fund - and I plan to pursue MBA from a top-tier US school 2-3 years after MS Fin.

Once again, thanks in advance for replying.

Best Regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 13:18
Unfortunately, I cannot speak of other programs as I do not know them well enough not can I speak of the job search in the US. From what I know, having a green card in the States is quite difficult though.

For the UK, you may want to verify if you qualify as a highly skilled migrant at http://www.workpermit.com.

The MiF is not necessarily the best path for you if you plan to do an MBA after as it is (1) more expensive and on par with 1 year MBA costs and (2) will lead you to MBA equivalent jobs. Remember that the average work experience is 6 years so you might be on the short end for this program. You should definitely consider LSE's MSc program though I suspect that following graduation, you would be more likely to get an analyst/senior analyst type of job rather than an associate level job.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 16:55
I think you will be a favorite for most of the recruitment comp.s in london.

good luck

it is not that difficult to get a workpermit in UK as there is a special scheme for all graduates. you may stay in the uk with a workpermit visa upon your graduation. that's granted by the uk gov. it is up to you whether to stay or not. but you will be allowed to be able to work in the UK. LSE or LBS will put u on a good track in london.

no idea about the US. probably little tougher.

good luck.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2007, 14:19
The MiF will not automatically qualify for HSMP scheme and hence, you have to verify how much you score on the workpermit website.
Intern
Intern

Re: [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2008, 13:11
Paul wrote:
The MiF will not automatically qualify for HSMP scheme and hence, you have to verify how much you score on the workpermit website.

Hi Paul,

First of all, thank you very much for your information about MIF@LBS for the past 3-4 years.
According to HSMP scheme, My score is below the pass mark (75).
Is there any chance to get a job in UK after graduation?
If not, how about the job prospects in Asia, Middle East, or Europe for the MIF grads.

Many Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: MS(Finance) at London Business School [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2008, 13:28
Blunt, I think a major determining factor on whether you will find a job whilst you don't have the HSMP is whether you have relevant experience pre-MiF. This is by far the most important factor and yes, it is possible. Other factors that will matter are your interview skills, overall health of the economy post-graduation and how long you can sustain living in London post-graduation (high costs). Of course, luck is also a major factor but IMO, you will find it much more difficult without HSMP.

As for jobs in other countries, you will find it difficult as well if you are not stationed in those countries while looking for a job. I believe once again that if you do have relevant experience, the fact of not being in say HK is not too problematic. The really difficult thing is finding your first job after school.

However, everything is possible.

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 16:38
Hi,

As stated before I think you can benefit from IGS (international graduates schemes) after graduation to be able to stay up to 1 year to gain work experience. After 1 year you may switch to HSMP if you are qualified. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Link: http://www.workpermit.com/uk/internatio ... scheme.htm

Blunt wrote:
Paul wrote:

Hi Paul,

First of all, thank you very much for your information about MIF@LBS for the past 3-4 years.
According to HSMP scheme, My score is below the pass mark (75).
Is there any chance to get a job in UK after graduation?
If not, how about the job prospects in Asia, Middle East, or Europe for the MIF grads.

Many Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: MS(Finance) at London Business School [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 03:05
Hi,
I just want to enquire about the kind of students get admitted at LBS or LSE, as i want to apply there but i'm having some doubts about it.
I'm looking to apply for MS fin in LBS, LSE, OXford, Queen's college Kingston CANADA. But i'm not sure if my profile is good enough for that.
I've done my b-tech (Computer science) from an indian university, with 65% (non honours), then i have 2 years of work experience (IT) with FIDELITY Info Services, working for yorkshire, clydesdale bank and bank of america.
Will be gving the GMAT, probable score of 700/800(hopefully, look favourable).
i will be giving CFA level 1 in june 2009.
Looking at my average Academic record, Plus the applications will be sent for third round, Shall i apply to the schools i have mentioned here, or i shall look for some other schools which look favourable.
Kindly, tell as to what i should do? and to which schools i shall apply? Little bit confused for the time i'm applying for the MS fin Schools, i mean i'll be applying by january end or february. is that ok?

Thanks a ton for replying to it, and helping me out of this!!!

Regards,
Pankaj
mail:
pankaj.gndu19 AT gmail
Intern
Intern

Re: MS(Finance) at London Business School [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 06:28
Hi Friends,
Have got admission from LBS,LSE and Cass.My profile is as under -

Bachelor of Commerce with 4 years of experience in a leading Global Investment Bank
GMAT = 740

Would not be going ahead with the Msc since the scenario is not good in UK for employment.I think ISB , IIM A & C (PGPX) are a better bet (look at the cost and benefit ratio)

Rolston
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 12

Re: MS(Finance) at London Business School [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 02:31
Hey....can anybody compare one year MBA & MiF ( both from LBS)...specially from placements perspective
Re: MS(Finance) at London Business School   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2010, 02:31