Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MS(Finance) or MBA(Finance) [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mohnishkhiani wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am an Indian, currently doing my MBA at IIM Shillong. My specialization in my MBA is Finance. I have given my CFA Level 1 this June and I have got a job in Equity Research division of a MNC bank starting April, 2015. I am interested in making my career in Equities market, something related to Equity Research or Equity Portfolio Management. Since most of the jobs in India are back-end jobs, I am wanting to shift to US. This is why i want to pursue another post graduate degree in US. So which one should I go for, MS in Finance (or) MBA in Finance itself ?

Thanks in advance.

It depends on where your interests lie - technical or management. If you have analytical/statistical tastes, MS is appropriate. If you have managerial ambitions, MBA is the way to go.

Typically, people do MS first and then MBA - get detailed technical knowledge and then look at the big picture in MBA. Or they follow up a domestic MBA with an international MBA from one of the top ten. It's less common to do MBA and then MS so think hard about your reasons if you choose to go this way.

Thank you very much for your answer. Actually I also urge to know the preclusion effect and sequence of these two programmes. I have been working in Finance field for 3 years with only a BBA degree in Hong Kong. Since I think one year MSF can gain more achedemic knowledge while MBA can give me a more promising career start after graduation, and also due to certain timing concern, I am thinking of applying for MSF first and then directly go take MBA degree right afterwards. I know it's rare choice, but can I know the continuous study of these two programs will really make the MBA admissions feel my career gap unjustified? Thank you so much!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
MS(Finance) or MBA(Finance) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FWLAH wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mohnishkhiani wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am an Indian, currently doing my MBA at IIM Shillong. My specialization in my MBA is Finance. I have given my CFA Level 1 this June and I have got a job in Equity Research division of a MNC bank starting April, 2015. I am interested in making my career in Equities market, something related to Equity Research or Equity Portfolio Management. Since most of the jobs in India are back-end jobs, I am wanting to shift to US. This is why i want to pursue another post graduate degree in US. So which one should I go for, MS in Finance (or) MBA in Finance itself ?

Thanks in advance.

It depends on where your interests lie - technical or management. If you have analytical/statistical tastes, MS is appropriate. If you have managerial ambitions, MBA is the way to go.

Typically, people do MS first and then MBA - get detailed technical knowledge and then look at the big picture in MBA. Or they follow up a domestic MBA with an international MBA from one of the top ten. It's less common to do MBA and then MS so think hard about your reasons if you choose to go this way.

Thank you very much for your answer. Actually I also urge to know the preclusion effect and sequence of these two programmes. I have been working in Finance field for 3 years with only a BBA degree in Hong Kong. Since I think one year MSF can gain more achedemic knowledge while MBA can give me a more promising career start after graduation, and also due to certain timing concern, I am thinking of applying for MSF first and then directly go take MBA degree right afterwards. I know it's rare choice, but can I know the continuous study of these two programs will really make the MBA admissions feel my career gap unjustified? Thank you so much!

I think your plan is fine. I have known people to follow up their MS directly with an MBA. It does make sense to the schools as well as employers though if you have some specific B-schools in mind, you can get in touch with them or a school specific consultant and ask.
Also, there are joint degree programs - MBA and MSF - that you can consider but I doubt many schools offer that.
GMAT Club Bot
MS(Finance) or MBA(Finance) [#permalink]