Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MS in Fin Vs MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HBS '16, CBS '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MS in Fin Vs MBA [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2014, 09:09
I completed my graduation last year from Indian Institute of technology-BHU (IIT-BHU),India, one of the top colleges of India. Though i graduated in metallurgy engg. , I developed my interest towards finance. I have also cleared CFA level 1 examination and waiting for my level 2 results.

I want to work for an Investment bank in future. I want to know that whether MS in Fin or MBA degree would be more appropriate for me, and guide me through some good colleges offering these courses.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 2

Re: MS in Fin Vs MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 03:19
Hi Bharat,

There are some fundamental differences between an MS in Finance and an MBA.

1. An MS in Finance is a specialized degree whereas an MBA is a general management program. This means that an MSF will make you an expert in the domain while the MBA will give you a strong foundation across business functions.

2. An MBA degree will offer you greater focus and avenues on leadership and self development than will an MSF. So, it will equip you for higher leadership roles whereas an MSF will equip you better technically.

3. The average work exp in an MBA class will be ~5 years whereas that in an MSF class will be much lower.

4. A majority of US MBA programs are 2-years long whereas MSF programs are shorter, around ~1 year.

5. You may find it easier to get information about the employment data of MBA programs than MSF programs. :)

6. Many top universities will offer variants of the MSF such as Master's in financial engineering, quantitative finance, financial mathematics etc. It's best to go through the curriculum and courses of each to understand the differences.

Quite a few candidates opt to first take up an MSF, work for a few years in an analyst (or equivalent) role, and later, go for an MBA. So the choice between the two really depends on what skills you want to develop, which in turn depends on what direction you want your career to take in the next few years.

MBA programs strong in Finance: Wharton, Columbia, Booth, NYU Stern, Cornell, Darden, Tuck, LBS
More about MS in Finance: ms-finance-86/

Hope this gives you some direction. Let me know if you have more questions. :)

Regards
Gowri

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Coach

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Re: MS in Fin Vs MBA   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2014, 03:19