Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MS in Finance 2013, USA- Job prospects? Which universities?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MS in Finance 2013, USA- Job prospects? Which universities? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 17:20
Hi,

I just gave my GMAT yesterday and got a 710.

Here are a few details about my profile.
have 3 years of work ex. I've worked as a Product Manager, Regional Sales Manager and i'm currently working as an Associate at a financial services firm in the investment banking and consulting team.
However, I want to work at an investment bank/private equity firm to build my career further.
Which is why I want to do an Ms in Finance and also because it's a one year course.

I don't know anybody whose currently pursuing this degree, most are doing MBAs. So, I'm uncertain about the job prospects.
I've narrowed my universities to:

Columbia - MS in Financial Economics(2 year)
UCLA - MS in Financial Engineering(1 year)
UT Austin - MS in Finance(1 year)
Boston University - MS in Mathematical Finance(1 year)
University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign - MS in Finance(1 year)

These are the ones that are remaining right now for 2013. Would you suggest anything else? What are their job prospects like? Anybody whose actually attended any of these programs?

I'd really appreciate any answers or resources that might help me come to a decision.
Hoping for a quick reply!

Last edited by nsbachal on 20 Sep 2013, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: MS in Finance 2013, USA- Job prospects? Which universities? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:28
Take a look at MSFHQ.com. Are you an American citizen? I ask because many US banks will not sponsor a visa.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MS in Finance 2013, USA- Job prospects? Which universities? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 14:40
k

Last edited by nsbachal on 20 Sep 2013, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: MS in Finance 2013, USA- Job prospects? Which universities? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 08:17
MS in Finance is for people who are more junior or who have 0-2 years work experience. It is a one year, concentrated, finance centered graduate degree. The MBA is more generalist, providing a comprehensive graduate education in business. It is for people with 3-5 years (or more) experience as one of the big learning aspects of the degree is being with other professionals who can share their experiences and lessons that they have learned.

Columbia - MS in Financial Economics(2 year)
UCLA - MS in Financial Engineering(1 year)
UT Austin - MS in Finance(1 year)
Boston University - MS in Mathematical Finance(1 year)
University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign - MS in Finance(1 year)

IMO, if I were you, I would do the Columbia or UCLA program, with UT Austin being the 3rd choice and BU being the 4th. Quant careers tend to be more willing to sponsor and hire international students. Everyone wants to be a banker and you really don't need to sponsor someone to get qualified applicants. Plus the fact that you have an MBA already will most likely prejudice you in the eyes of the recruiters.

I also edit resumes and stuff like that. It is listed on my site. Frankly, if you cannot write coherently (and take no offense, your English is better than my Hindi) you will struggle in an investment banking role. I'd leverage your quant skills, get sponsored and in the country, work on improving your soft skills and then try and leverage into more traditional finance role if that is what you really want.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Re: MS in Finance 2013, USA- Job prospects? Which universities?   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2013, 08:17