Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ms in finance or MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Ms in finance or MBA? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 03:07
Hi guys,

I wanted to know what would be best suited for me to do at this moment.

I am 22 years and from Mumbai, India.

I have done my engineering in Electronics and communication and have a GPA of 9.3/10.

I am working for KPMG risk advisory for 9 months now.

I am confused whether should i look for an MBA or MS in Finance. I want to pursue a career in finance.

Please advice. Really confused.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Ms in finance or MBA? [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 23:46
Since your work experience is just 9 months, there is no chance of getting into MBA porgrams. Both MBA and MS in Finance programs can help you to pursue a career in finance, but while an MBA program would help in building leadership skills, an MS in Finance program won't. I think you have a very good undergraduate GPA. You need to attempt GMAT first and decide on your target schools for MS in Finance. If you can work at your present company for another 2.5-3 years, then you could build a very good profile for an MBA applicant. It totally depends on you and your career goals. There are some great MS in Finance programs where you could really enhance your knowledge of finance and change your career track, but you would be working as an analyst once you finish your 1 year course. If you can shift jobs without the MS course and get into a finance centric job, then you can wait for a few years and pursue MBA.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: Ms in finance or MBA? [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2014, 11:05
ashusingh710 wrote:
Hi guys,

I wanted to know what would be best suited for me to do at this moment.

I am 22 years and from Mumbai, India.

I have done my engineering in Electronics and communication and have a GPA of 9.3/10.

I am working for KPMG risk advisory for 9 months now.

I am confused whether should i look for an MBA or MS in Finance. I want to pursue a career in finance.

Please advice. Really confused.

Good grades and work experience. What are your goals? Where do you want to apply for MSF/MBA programs? Need a little more information to really recommend anything.

As it stands you don't have the work experience necessary for an MBA. You are fine with an MSF, but we need more info to make a suggestion.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ms in finance or MBA? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 13:37
Hello,

Can you guys please help me to evaluate my profile.

I'm 33 years old. Completed my Masters in computer science in 2004 and am having around 10 years of exp in IT as a software dev. Am currently working for an Investment Bank, from the past 4 years. Am married with a kid.

What do you think are my chances to get into some top schools to pursue either MBA or Masters in Finance programs?

Kindly help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: Ms in finance or MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 23:48
rkgarimella wrote:
Hello,

Can you guys please help me to evaluate my profile.

I'm 33 years old. Completed my Masters in computer science in 2004 and am having around 10 years of exp in IT as a software dev. Am currently working for an Investment Bank, from the past 4 years. Am married with a kid.

What do you think are my chances to get into some top schools to pursue either MBA or Masters in Finance programs?

Kindly help.

You are an MBA candidate as you have too much experience to really benefit from an MSF. Assuming you are currently working in the US, why don't you do a PT MBA? Maybe you have some type of tuition reimbursement from your current employer.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Re: Ms in finance or MBA?   [#permalink] 05 May 2014, 23:48