Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MS in Software Management:: Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

MS in Software Management:: Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 14:21
Hi,
I would like to discuss more about the Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley campus program of
Master in Science in Software Management.

Here are my findings:
Pros:
a. Reputation of Carnegie Mellon College of Engineering research
b. Located in heart of silicon valley,
c. Flexible schedule for remote participants.
d. Classmates are from similar background of software engineering/scientists/architects etc.
e. 2 years only for Part Time.
f. Easier to get into(acceptance rate of 80%) as only software engineers will apply and also
because its new(started in 2007) and not that popular as of now.
g. Better than regular PT MBA(even Techno MBA) in terms of time(2 years as compare to 3 years), money(55K vs 80-90k),focussed group of peers(mostly software industry)

Cons.
a. Expensive : 55K(for 1 year)
b. Still needs to be absorbed by software Industry.

As per my analysis, it would be great fit for someone who doesn't want to change its careers after traditional PT MBA and would like to grow in management ladder in software industry.

I would like to hear more feedback/analysis on this .

Thanks,
Delhi_walla.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MS in Software Management:: Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 13:08
Here is my analysis:

Silicon valley course has been designed to capitalize on CMU's brand name by giving degree to those people, who came to IT industry during the bubble phase and don't have degrees. Asians( with their native degrees) and Americans( non-IT degrees or undergrad degrees). These people are already at manager/director level but don't have degrees and feel stagnated. Hence, CMU saw the need and opportunity to capitalize. The course work is very easy and relaxed as compared to Berkeley's or Stanford's courses. You can easily cope with the course with guaranteed passing marks without much hassles and continuing your job :)

1. I don't see much learning opportunity. The course names hit the nails right, but it lacks the depth. at the end of each course, you don't feel like you have learned anything.
2. There is no campus recruitment and no such efforts
3. Because of the way this campus was designed ( to capitalize), the general tendency here is to make money. You'll notice this for all the collaboration they make with industries or the practicum courses you take here. The sole purpose is "money".

So, if you're looking for brand name and degree without much work, it's great place to be.

pro's:
1. cmu brand name. though this degree is not much recognized in the industry. CMU is famous for ECE and MISM. Moreover, the course lacks the thought. Profs design course based on their interest. So, different courses don't gel together well. You end up knowling little bit of everything, rather than getting an in depth knowledge.
2.network, if you have great ideas. this gives you a good platform. But i don't know, if spending 2 yrs and $60k is worth. You can go for exec MBA, that would add more value
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MS in Software Management:: Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 21:13
hi,
I am an Indian student.I pursued integrated Msc.Chemistry. Graduating from a top 5 indian college - BITS-Pilani with a cgpa 6.2/10.(my current cgpa is 5.64/10. But my course ends in dec 2010 and my cgpa then will be 6.2/10 assured). I have loads of extra curriculars, including certificate for coluntary service for scouts from the Indian President. I have had a start up in college(though not a registered one). Have had some good internships in start ups and others. Can get good recomendation letters from them. Do I stand a chance to get into MISM , CMU? should I retake GMAT.(I was scoring 730 in practise tests). Will I be rejected because of a lack of Bachlors in Computer science?.. please enlighten me. asap. I need to book a gmat date before sept 30 if my chances are low.
Re: MS in Software Management:: Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2011, 21:13