Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the input! I have decided to go with the MS in Accountancy. Though an MBA which fulfills the CPA requirement is also an excellent option, I feel it would be premature. The main goal of an MBA for me would be to refine my business plan for an entrepreneurial venture, something that is still 3-5 years out.

As far as MS in Accountancy programs are concerned. How much difference is there between universities which have Accounting AACSB accreditation? I currently live in southern California and there are basically 2 university options, USC and Cal State Fullerton. USC obviously has more prestige inherent in its name, but how much of a difference will it make? Cal State Fullerton's curriculum is practically identical, and all the same firms recruit. If my goal is to procurea job with a Big 4, should I even spend the extra 35-40k to earn a degree from USC? With Fullerton I could start in February, obtain an internship with a Big 4 for the first semester, and finish Spring '08, same as USC.

I ended up taking the GMAT this weekend, and scored 640. Considering the preparation, I am not incredibly disappointed. I had planned to take the exam in November; however after talking to the CSUF Accounting chair was informed the deadline for program commencement in February required an immediate submittal of application.

I am failry confident I can gain admittance to USC given conversations with the admissions staff, what would you suggest?

Thank-Evan
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
As far as securing a job with one of the Big 4 is concerned, any program that has relations with the Big 4 would suffice. If CSF consistently places graduates into the Big 4, I don't see why one would seek another significantly expensive option, i.e. USC in this case. Having said that, USC offers a brand recognition that CSF doesn't so if you are somebody that wants to put a little 'color' to your resume`, you might want to go for USC - but that's some expensive color that I would not advise buying - unless you secure some kind of scholarship/fellowship that a lot of these 'elite' accounting programs offer.

Generally, if you stuck around with one of the Big 4 for 5 years or so, hit the manager position and then went back for the MBA, USC or CSF will not make much of a difference. It'll be your work experience, recommendations, community involvement and GMAT that will have the biggest impact on the MBA program that you get into. Hope that helps.

EvanG wrote:
Thanks for the input! I have decided to go with the MS in Accountancy. Though an MBA which fulfills the CPA requirement is also an excellent option, I feel it would be premature. The main goal of an MBA for me would be to refine my business plan for an entrepreneurial venture, something that is still 3-5 years out.

As far as MS in Accountancy programs are concerned. How much difference is there between universities which have Accounting AACSB accreditation? I currently live in southern California and there are basically 2 university options, USC and Cal State Fullerton. USC obviously has more prestige inherent in its name, but how much of a difference will it make? Cal State Fullerton's curriculum is practically identical, and all the same firms recruit. If my goal is to procurea job with a Big 4, should I even spend the extra 35-40k to earn a degree from USC? With Fullerton I could start in February, obtain an internship with a Big 4 for the first semester, and finish Spring '08, same as USC.

I ended up taking the GMAT this weekend, and scored 640. Considering the preparation, I am not incredibly disappointed. I had planned to take the exam in November; however after talking to the CSUF Accounting chair was informed the deadline for program commencement in February required an immediate submittal of application.

I am failry confident I can gain admittance to USC given conversations with the admissions staff, what would you suggest?

Thank-Evan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Ms in Accounting [#permalink]
I am the manager in Ernst&Young AABS Department. My advice is to get Ms in accounting (it's shorter and cheaper than MBA). Then at the end of study sit for CPA exams. Then join the Big 4 firm where you get necessary experience to become CPA.
GMAT Club Bot
Ms in Accounting [#permalink]
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts