Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618865 [8]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.84
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Given Kudos: 138
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 879 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Ms. Smith: I am upset that my son’s entire class lost two days of rece [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Ms. Smith: I am upset that my son’s entire class lost two days of recess because some of the children were throwing raisins in the cafeteria. He was not throwing raisins, and it was clear to everyone just who the culprits were.

Principal: I’m sorry you’re upset, Ms. Smith, but your son’s situation is like being caught in a traffic jam caused by an accident. People who aren’t involved in the accident nevertheless have to suffer by sitting there in the middle of it.

If the principal is speaking sincerely, then it can be inferred from what the principal says that the principal believes that

(A) many children were throwing raisins in the cafeteria
principal doesn't talk about whether some or many children were involved in the incident

(B) Ms. Smith’s son might not have thrown raisins in the cafeteria
This is parallel to the reasoning presented in the principal's argument.

(C) After an accident the resulting traffic jams are generally caused by police activity.
this is out of scope for the argument

(D) Ms. Smith’s son know who it was that threw raisins in the cafeteria
this can not be inferred from the principal's argument

(E) Losing two days of recess will deter future disruptions.
this can not be inferred from the principal's argument, children may do this again
Ans: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Ms. Smith: I am upset that my son’s entire class lost two days of rece [#permalink]
Kudos
Already provided,can't be inference

correct

(C) After an accident the resulting traffic jams are generally caused by police activity.
Irrelevant

can't be sure about this as it's not necessarily only class in class in cafeteria and Ms. Smith's knowing each student from other classes as well

there's no way to infer this as no information as such is provided
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [2]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
Ms. Smith: I am upset that my son’s entire class lost two days of recess because some of the children were throwing raisins in the cafeteria. He was not throwing raisins, and it was clear to everyone just who the culprits were.

Principal: I’m sorry you’re upset, Ms. Smith, but your son’s situation is like being caught in a traffic jam caused by an accident. People who aren’t involved in the accident nevertheless have to suffer by sitting there in the middle of it.

If the principal is speaking sincerely, then it can be inferred from what the principal says that the principal believes that

argument
s=upset son's recess
s=son didn't throw raisins
p=maybe son didn't throw
p=but he must suffer anyway

infer
ans (b) he might not have thrown, but he was part of the group, and the group has to suffer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools:
GPA: 3.75
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos

Stimulus: states that Mrs smith complains that her son was not throwing resins in cafeteria; however still he will have to loose two days of recess. The principal explains to Mrs Smith that her sons case is similar to the traffic caused by an accident. Some people who are not involved in the accident have to suffer.
IMO B the principal thinks Mrs Smiths son might not have thrown resins.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 183
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Send PM
Bunuel In Inference type questions the correct answer must always be true and the rest options may or may not be true.

The word Might in option B suggests that the incident may or may not occurred.

Then How come it became the right answer?

Please explain.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [1]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Kudos
BharatTj wrote:
Bunuel In Inference type questions the correct answer must always be true and the rest options may or may not be true.

The word Might in option B suggests that the incident may or may not occurred.

Then How come it became the right answer?

Please explain.

Dear BharatTj
pursuant to the statement of Principal:
People who aren’t involved in the accident nevertheless have to suffer by sitting there in the middle of it.

and take into consideration question stem: If the principal is speaking sincerely, then it can be inferred from what the principal says that the

We can deduce that principal believes that Ms. Smith's son might not be guilty.
There is no evidence that Mr. Smith's son could not be the cause of the incident.
Yet, the tone of Principal's argument suggests that son may not be culpable.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts