Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 18:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MS to MBA Path?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 20

MS to MBA Path? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 17:10
I'm wondering about doing an MS program at like Baruch or something and using that to boost my application and then go for an MBA. Here are my questions:

1) Will the MS program significantly boost my resume?

2) Does it make sense to go this route? Will an MBA degree become redundant? I know that the MBA is probably more highly regarded than an MS, but is there really a point? I'm thinking that maybe an MS at Accounting in Baruch and an MBA in Finance at Stern, for example?

3) Is it worth it to do an MS and then MBA from a money point of view?

4) Is work experience less important for an MS than an MBA? I actually remember someone saying this at one point at an internship I had. I mean, my numbers for the GPA and GMAT are on the upper end of their middle 80% for an MS. So, maybe for now going the path of least resistance is a good idea. Maybe I'll get an accounting job, which will add even more to my resume and help pay for the MS.

Idea/help? Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Kellogg, Cornell, HBS, and Duke
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MS to MBA Path? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 18:01
MBA is definitely held in a higher regard than the MS. Not sure how much an MS helps your application for an MBA though. I've been curious about this myself since I've got my MS and am currently applying for MBA programs... haven't seen much discussed on this topic at all. I'd imagine it would have to help, especially if you go into public acct. after you obtain your MS. The business experience that public accounting can provide is truly quite remarkable and I'm certain the adcoms are aware of this... However, I'm of the impression that a CPA essentially nullifies the MS...

Anyone else have any input on this one?
Current Student

Re: MS to MBA Path? [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 18:57
I've talked to a couple of people (one being bb from this board via PM) and unless I misunderstood them, neither sounded like they thought that an MS would help unfortunately.
Intern
Intern

Re: MS to MBA Path? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 08:03
Well that is certainly crappy news... Any particular reason why?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 6

Re: MS to MBA Path? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 09:34
1. It will boost in the context that you hopefully know more about the field of study and you can substantiate that with the kind of work you do after the MS.
2. Pursuing anything just to boost your application is the wrong way to plan and it probably will become evident for the adcom (which might hurt your app). Do it if it makes sense to your plan of career/life.
3. These are expensive degrees, worth can be analyzed based on the reasons you're pursuing it for. You can boost your MBA app in other ways, pursuing a serious degree like MS is meaningful if you can move on to doing better things (and in areas you wish to gain expertise) professionally with that degree.
4. Don't know about accounting, but for engineering MS degrees, you don't need work ex. Majority won't have work ex. With MBA, that group is a minority.
GmatNY86 wrote:
I'm wondering about doing an MS program at like Baruch or something and using that to boost my application and then go for an MBA. Here are my questions:

1) Will the MS program significantly boost my resume?

2) Does it make sense to go this route? Will an MBA degree become redundant? I know that the MBA is probably more highly regarded than an MS, but is there really a point? I'm thinking that maybe an MS at Accounting in Baruch and an MBA in Finance at Stern, for example?

3) Is it worth it to do an MS and then MBA from a money point of view?

4) Is work experience less important for an MS than an MBA? I actually remember someone saying this at one point at an internship I had. I mean, my numbers for the GPA and GMAT are on the upper end of their middle 80% for an MS. So, maybe for now going the path of least resistance is a good idea. Maybe I'll get an accounting job, which will add even more to my resume and help pay for the MS.

Idea/help? Thanks.
Current Student

Re: MS to MBA Path? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 12:36
skydiver84 wrote:
Well that is certainly crappy news... Any particular reason why?

Well if you're looking to go for an MBA in accounting it may be different. bb said that it will be hard to show leadership skills in accounting. He said that it will be difficult to leverage the skills for adcoms.
Intern
Intern

Re: MS to MBA Path? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 08:11
Naw not going for an MBA in accounting. I'm trying to study entrepreneurship as I'm ultimately trying to work for a PE/VC firm, so it's a bit of a career switch. I've heard east coast PE/VC firms look for individuals with strong finance/accounting backgrounds so I was banking on my accounting to help me with that.

You raise a solid point regarding the leadership experience. I believe (*hope*) I've been able to effectively demonstrate leadership skills, but reflecting on the experience of my peers, I can definitely see how that could be difficult in the accounting field, especially if you were to go the tax route and not audit or consulting. Thankfully, I went audit and have been able to demonstrate leadership in my career through leading audit teams for various engagements.

Maybe I'm just hoping here, but it still seems like the fact that you've already demonstrated your ability to handle graduate level coursework and pass a prof. exam has got to be worth something. Perhaps it would just help demonstrate your quant ability if you're struggling elsewhere in that department. I guess though with all of that having been said, it doesn't make sense to go that route in an attempt to boost your app.
Re: MS to MBA Path?   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2010, 08:11