Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSA at Boston College

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 11:22
Cyan wrote:
I got a scholarship to BC and was exempted out of many courses, also am originally from the Northeast. I am still debating between BC, Texas, UNC, and USC but with BC being the best financial offer and strongly considering placement there and the alumni network (eagles are very loyal, not sure if the two publics really have that feeling), it might be the choice, its just hard to turn down higher rated schools but I also want an august start. Ive talked to current students at the program and their feedback seems pretty good.

Which classes will they let you get out of taking? And why?

Do you know what percentage of BC graduates are employed when they graduate?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 11:32
I got out of econ/stats/finance/bus law because i was a finance/econ major.

I never got an accurate percentage of employed, but it seemed liek if you were international you had a lot of trouble, if you were from america, you were fine. (I got the same speech from them as a i got from USC/UNC/Texas about recruiting...
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 02:28
I also got exempted from a lot of classes and I need to take only 10 courses to graduate. If scheduling allows it and if I am crazy enough, I might try to do it in 2 semesters,so I can start working in May/June. So that is a big plus.
In addition, BC has a really good finance program. I was a finance/accounting major, and I think I will be able to take some of the advanced/MSF classes as my non-acct electives. Their finance faculty is excellent and it was a major plus in my decision process.
Cyan, where can I find that info about recruiting? I am an international student trying to stay in the US after I graduate.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 15:48
Congrats!

I also got a package (Fedex overnight) today. I had an interview last week and got the package today.

They offered me 4k scholarship, but what I have heard from others is that BC usually gives a lot more than 4k.

My GMAT is 700 and GPA is like 3.98 and I am an accounting major. I kidna expected more than 4k, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Anyways, I am considering among UVA with 5K Scholarship, BC with 4k, and UT-Austin (decision not yet released).

Is scholarship usually 3-6 K range or what? I actually know someone who got 10k from BC a year ago and his spec was like 650 GMAT and 3.4 GPA.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 19:28
iamjakekim wrote:
Congrats!

I also got a package (Fedex overnight) today. I had an interview last week and got the package today.

They offered me 4k scholarship, but what I have heard from others is that BC usually gives a lot more than 4k.

My GMAT is 700 and GPA is like 3.98 and I am an accounting major. I kidna expected more than 4k, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Anyways, I am considering among UVA with 5K Scholarship, BC with 4k, and UT-Austin (decision not yet released).

Is scholarship usually 3-6 K range or what? I actually know someone who got 10k from BC a year ago and his spec was like 650 GMAT and 3.4 GPA.

Did you apply for the program that starts in the fall or summer?

Do all accepted applicants do interviews?
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 20:16
jsslvtt wrote:

Did you apply for the program that starts in the fall or summer?

Do all accepted applicants do interviews?

For BC, I believe everyone has to be interviewed. For UVA, I didnt have any interview but I know at least two people who had interviews with UVA.

I applied for the fall because I have an internship going on over the summer. Anyways, I dropped BC and probably going to UVA or UT-Austin(if they let me in hehe).
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 00:50
BC only interviews if they think they need to. I never interviewed with BC and they admitted me. Texas never interviews, USC/UNC have mandatory interviews.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 05:58
My girlfriend has been accepted at BC with $, UVA, and WUSTL... neither BC nor UVA asked for an interview. (She had a 680 GMAT, 3.64 GPA, and 2 good internships with a large finance company).

iamjakekim - when did you get your scholarship decision from UVA? She's still waiting to hear what her package is.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 06:51
hypermeganet wrote:
My girlfriend has been accepted at BC with $, UVA, and WUSTL... neither BC nor UVA asked for an interview. (She had a 680 GMAT, 3.64 GPA, and 2 good internships with a large finance company).

iamjakekim - when did you get your scholarship decision from UVA? She's still waiting to hear what her package is.

UVA called me on Tuesday and told me that they had a committee meeting on the day before and made decisions. I *think* the person who called me said that she was calling scholarship recipients individually because turn around time is only a week.

Anyways, isn't your GF with 12K BC schoalrship? Im pretty sure she will have a decent offer from UVA too. Call UVA or something to verify.

But once again, I am an international candidate and many schools release admission and scholarship decisions in a different time frame. For example, UT-Austin doesnt offer rolling admissions for internationals and they will release decisions at once (Mid-March).

Call or email UVA. They get back to you within 24hrs. :)
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 08:50
Is anybody here actually going to go to BC? It seems that all those who have been accepted are leaning towards a different school.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 09:05
I didn't know UVA has Master of Science program??? From their website,I can only see the MBA program(s).
Yeah,I will be going to BC.. I got a 10K scholarship.
Kinda can't wait until August.
Manager
Manager

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 13:30
Nowiman wrote:
I didn't know UVA has Master of Science program??? From their website,I can only see the MBA program(s).

Sure they do.
http://www.commerce.virginia.edu/academic_programs/MSACCOUNTING/Pages/index.aspx

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 13:48
Nowiman wrote:

Wow, that is a lot of money. Can you share your stats?
Manager
Manager

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 06:03
iamjakekim wrote:
UVA called me on Tuesday and told me that they had a committee meeting on the day before and made decisions. I *think* the person who called me said that she was calling scholarship recipients individually because turn around time is only a week.

Anyways, isn't your GF with 12K BC schoalrship? Im pretty sure she will have a decent offer from UVA too. Call UVA or something to verify.

But once again, I am an international candidate and many schools release admission and scholarship decisions in a different time frame. For example, UT-Austin doesnt offer rolling admissions for internationals and they will release decisions at once (Mid-March).

Call or email UVA. They get back to you within 24hrs. :)

Yep, that's my gf. And I did email UVA, they responded saying that they had already made initial scholarship offerings, and that if people declined their offer, others would be offered scholarships in their place. I've never heard of schools using that format for scholarship decisions before.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 09:38
Ive gotten similar offers where they said they would give it to somebody else. I just think the programs only have so much money to give away cause there are only 40-100 spots, and remember even at Texas or UNC, the accounting masters are secondary to the MBA in terms of resources available and class size let alone UVA and BC.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 15:49
Do any of you guys/girls plan on going to BC?
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 15:58
bbmccarn wrote:
Do any of you guys/girls plan on going to BC?

I am thinking either UVA or Texas. I dont know when UT is going to release decisions for international candidates. Fingers crossed. hehe
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 12:56
Well I finally got accepted to BC yesterday, so I am now wondering when I will find out if i got any money... Do they send that together with the stuff in the mail? How soon will they send it?
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 14:12
If you get a scholarship it will be in your fedexed scholarship package.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSA at Boston College [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 18:37
When should I be expecting the Scholarship stuff. I just received the online acceptance yesterday but it doesn't give any information about when I will get the acceptance packet or any scholarship stuff...
Re: MSA at Boston College   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2010, 18:37