Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSA or ME?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: R1: Chicago, Kellogg, Wharton, HBS, MIT
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MSA or ME? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 19:30
I'm in a somewhat unique conundrum. I have been admitted to Chicago Booth for 2009 and have been forced to delay my admit until 2010. I am active duty military and will have 4 years of G.I. Bill education benefits, so I plan on trying to knock out a Masters (or most of it), before I start next year at Booth. I am interested in two particular programs: a Masters of Science in Accountancy and a Masters of Engineering in System Engineering. I plan on pursuing Management Consulting or the Energy Industry while at Booth, so I am looking for guidance as to which degree you all would think would pay most benefits at school and in my new career? By the way, I have a BS in Management from a Service Academy and meet all entrance requirements for both degrees.

Looking forward to you all's advice or discussion...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: MSA or ME? [#permalink] New post 14 May 2009, 20:07
Engineering...especially in the energy industry will get you a lot further in the long run than a masters in accounting. Big oil outside of their finance areas look very favorably one folks with engineering degrees, its a near requirement for Exxon, every person at Kellogg with an offer for their GM program this year had an engineering degree. If you want to be on the finance side I think accounting will help but strategy, business development, operations, etc all will prefer engineering. Consulting I think it depends on the company and what you want to practice...I know the MMM folks at Kellogg do very well with the top consulting, and most of them have engineering degrees so it stands to reason that it will help. I think far fewer folks have advanced accounting degrees.

So IMO corporate finance, banking, and things like that will prefer accounting. Pretty much everything else the engineering degree will probably be more leveragable.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: MSA or ME? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 05:26
I can't speak at all to Energy, but from what I understand of MC - either degree could work. I don't think either degree will get you a job in MC, nor will it keep you out. I would go with whichever helps you with energy :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: MSA or ME? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 08:07
Do engineering. Systems engineering is perfect for you, as you will learn how to manage big projects from a top-level view through the entire project lifecycle (design, build, test, ops). You can focus on accounting in your MBA, no point in getting a specialty degree in it. Just doesn't add as much value to your resume IMO, or give you added knowledge that is useful in running a business.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MSA or ME? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 11:00
Yup River has nailed this one. I'm in Energy - engineers are king (well engineers who can be business people so engineer + MBA = very good).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: MSA or ME? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 12:51
lsuguy I am gonna recruit you away next year...new goal is to get gmatclub into the same employer not just the same school. Prove this place is going to go well beyond just getting into schools.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Intern
Intern
Schools: R1: Chicago, Kellogg, Wharton, HBS, MIT

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MSA or ME? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 18:00
Thanks everyone, I have had the same feelings; I just wanted to make sure I was not out to left field on this one. I figure for what my career aspirations are, a good set of accounting classes through Booth should suffice.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: MSA or ME? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2009, 03:25
I would agree with the above posts, I think engineering would be a more helpful degree. While it's important for all business people to have a working familiarity with accounting, the deep knowledge from a masters in accounting is really only going to be useful if you want to be an accountant.

riverripper wrote:
lsuguy I am gonna recruit you away next year...new goal is to get gmatclub into the same employer not just the same school. Prove this place is going to go well beyond just getting into schools.

Sounds like riverripper wants to turn gmatclub into the 21st Century Illuminati...

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: MSA or ME? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2009, 05:36
Jerz wrote:
Sounds like riverripper wants to turn gmatclub into the 21st Century Illuminati...

I was thinking more a combination of freemasons and skull & bones.

Re: MSA or ME?   [#permalink] 16 May 2009, 05:36