Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 05:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSc/ Diploma in Finance LSE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MSc/ Diploma in Finance LSE [#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 02:05
Hello,

I am an Indian female, age 31, an IT engineer with work experience of 7 years in the UK. I woul like to have a change of career into finance. I have no experience whatsoever in finance or related fields. I hear that there is a Diploma in Accounting and Finance available in LSE for people like me who want to switch to finance.

The questions I would like to ask are

1) Is this a good enough course that can help me have a good career in finance. Is it a recognized degree on its own and reputed as well to attract good financial institutions, or should I take a Masters as well to get a good job.

2) Age factor: Am I too old to switch career into finance when I do not have any finance experience, that too with a diploma.

3) Which is a better option for me? Diploma or Masters? Will it be easy for me to into MSc Finance with my background?

Is there any other alternative you would like to suggest?

I have taken my Gmat and got a score of 680.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 05:00
You can try and see http://www.lbs.ac.uk

Too old... 31? :) nope...

But yeah, if you have no backround in finance, diploma in LSE is one of the best options.... After that you can enter LBS masters or LSE masters...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 05:15
SimaQ wrote:
You can try and see http://www.lbs.ac.uk

Too old... 31? :) nope...

But yeah, if you have no backround in finance, diploma in LSE is one of the best options.... After that you can enter LBS masters or LSE masters...

Would you be able to comment on the Diploma Program in LSE. Will the Diploma alone help me have a successful career in finance. Is it necessary to do an MSc in addition. 2 years of study is definitely going to be a problem :( esp because I have got a family as well with kids.

The reason I asked whether I was too old was because I dont want to end up in a classroom where there are fresh graduates - 21/22 and then me - 31 :) I'm not sure if studying with such a group would help me. Even when some recruitment does happen, I dont want to end up in a situation that I am not considered because of age esp when I have no experience at all.

I want to know if this program will help me. For LBS MSc , the website says it is for people who want to change careers within Finance/ know more about the subject and not for people who want a career change to Finance.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 17:36
The first question that comes to mind- why are you interested in moving into finance? Which area of finance interests you (e.g. IB, commercial lending, internal corporate function)?

You have probably already seen this, but the overwhelming majority of MSC students are in the 20-25 age range (c. 75%). Students age 31 and above represent around 5% of the total. Nonetheless, being in a program with a number of other students with little experience in finance might not be such a bad thing.

What sort of academic background do you have in accounting, finance, and economics?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 01:00
Hjort wrote:
The first question that comes to mind- why are you interested in moving into finance? Which area of finance interests you (e.g. IB, commercial lending, internal corporate function)?

You have probably already seen this, but the overwhelming majority of MSC students are in the 20-25 age range (c. 75%). Students age 31 and above represent around 5% of the total. Nonetheless, being in a program with a number of other students with little experience in finance might not be such a bad thing.

What sort of academic background do you have in accounting, finance, and economics?

Thank you for the reply Hjort. I do not have any academic or work knowlege of Finance. I have an engineering IT background. I want to shift my career into Finance (not Finance in IT though). I have not decided exactly what in Finance, but I think I would like retail banking..

Why I am interested in Finance??
I have always been interested in Numbers etc and Maths and my problem solving skills has been my strong point. I have an engineering background. When I was in college I didnt know what I wanted to really do. My major was Electronics engineering. I got an IT job through campus placement and just went with what I got. Only later on, when I was fed up doing my job, did I start looking for other options and I thought a move into Finance woulod be a good one, as I have got the interest for that. Moreover, Finance market is the market is the most lucrtive and growing market.

Is there anything you can suggest for me?
  [#permalink] 30 May 2006, 01:00