Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Msc Finance-- Ranking FT (Pre-experience)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Msc Finance-- Ranking FT (Pre-experience) [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2014, 06:17
Hi everyone!

I'm Gianni, 21 years old, from Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Finance ( Milan, Italy).

I'm going to take my bachelor's degree and now i'm interesting in finding a good business school for me.

I don't have work experience, except a few months in an accounting firm.

I need your expert help! :( :lol: :lol:

I want to do the MSC Finance program.

My GPA is 4.40/5, my GMAT is 670, IELTS 7.0, BEC Higher (C1), ICFE.

I read on the Financial Times website (ranking business school) that one of the best business school (Pre-experience) in Europe is Grenoble Business School: I would like to go to the London campus, because i think that London is the best city for financial jobs. I'd like the idea of a master at Grenoble Business school because it is possible also to go to Singapore's campus, where there is another Grenoble Business School location.
The connection with Singapore could be a great opportunity!

But i don't know much more about this Business School!

What are your opinions about it? Can you recommend me a valid alternative?

Thanks for the answer!

Have a nice day!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Msc Finance-- Ranking FT (Pre-experience) [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 10:20
Don't take that Financial Times ranking too seriously, and any other "generalist" university/program ranking for that matter.

Most of the time the criteria they use are BS and some universities are not ashamed to improve on those BS criteria just to climb the ladder.

Perfect example: LSE. Because it's a university that only teaches social sciences, it doesn't even appear in the FT pre-experience ranking. The system favors generalist universities, i.e. universities that teach "everything" basically. But when you look at the numbers, the recruitment in London, in Front office positions, the brand name of the university all over the world, LSE is top 5 easy. Check out the QS World university rankings, where they rank the programs according to faculty or subject. For economics/accounting/finance, LSE is top 3 in the world, up there with Harvard, MIT.

All this just to tell you to not decide where to go based on that ranking.

Now, regarding Grenoble, I don't know it that well. I'm sure it's a good program but it's in France, and in France, the big boys are HEC, ESSEC, ESCP, maybe EDHEC and a few other elite programs.

Then again, the best way to find out about the program is to find alumni (Linkedin, FB), search online, ask your teachers, etc...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Msc Finance-- Ranking FT (Pre-experience) [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 05:56
Agreed with all the above. Grenoble is really not as good as FT would make it out to be. HEC, ESCP, ESSEC are definitely above it, and I'm sure there are quite a few other Finance programs just in France that are better, like Dauphine's. Employment reports and linkedin.edu are your friends. Use the latter to compare percentages of students from different schools that go to your target employers.

GMAT Prep 1 - November 25, 2013: 44 Q, 45 V, 720
GMAT Prep 2 - March 16, 2014: 47 Q, 42 V, 720

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: Msc Finance-- Ranking FT (Pre-experience) [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 16:16
Agree with above. I think the FT is an "ok" ranking or at least rough guide for European/UK programs, it isn't useful for US programs.

And as mentioned above, LSE is one of the top programs and doesn't get the prominence it deserves.

I would take the rankings, do some research, ask questions on here and elsewhere and check out the programs yourself. Make your decision based on a combination of things. Probably the best approach.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Re: Msc Finance-- Ranking FT (Pre-experience)   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2014, 16:16