Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSc in Finance and its effect on top MBA admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MSc in Finance and its effect on top MBA admissions [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 17:07
Does getting an MSc in Finance immediately following undergrad hurt your chances at a top MBA ~5 years down the road?

I will be graduating after 3 years and would like to learn more about finance before I enter the job market. I'm considering applying to the top MSc programs (LSE, Oxford, Cass) to increase my understanding of finance, cure an itch to get out of middle America (currently a senior at ~100 ranked non-target), and to hopefully increase job prospects.

Also, a secondary question: what are my chances at these top programs?

GPA: 3.95
ECs: Pres of the largest student organization on campus, some tutoring, etc..
Awards: Named 1 of top 5 finance majors in the business college, National Merit, etc..
Recs: Two really good recs. One from head of Finance division and the other from an Econ prof.
GMAT: Haven't taken it yet but 700+ shouldn't be an issue. They're not directly equivalent but I managed a 33 ACT and 1440 SAT with no preparation.

Thanks for any replies.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MSc in Finance and its effect on top MBA admissions   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2008, 17:07