Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSF at UIUc VS Washington University

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MSF at UIUc VS Washington University [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2008, 20:37
Dear All,

I just got an offer letter from the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign for their 1yr MSF program. I have also applied to the Washington University for the 10 month MS in Finance program. Could anyone pls tell me how the degree from UIUC compares to that from the Washington University and as to what are the advantages and disadvantages of these programs.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: MSF at UIUc VS Washington University [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 09:41
sorry for goin off topic.. but did they mail u hard copy or u got an email too?
they mailed me sayin decisions would be mailed by 17th. But did not recv anything whether admit/reject
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF at UIUc VS Washington University [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2008, 13:06
I actually received an email stating that I have been selected. The decision date is the 17th. Did you check your online application status? Mabbe you should call up the admissions office and check with them.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF at UIUc VS Washington University [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2008, 13:09
Can someone please answer my question. Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: MSF at UIUc VS Washington University [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2008, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hi priyarajan13,

I've also applied to both programs and think that both programs have great faculty and reputation for finance. However, between the two I'm more partial to WashU

WashU is higher ranked and has a stronger class profile(gpa and GMAT wise). Also, I think it is a much more personal program as the cohort size is less than 40 students compared to UIUC's 100+ students. I was also dissapointed in UIUC's placement; only 56% were employed at graduation. I suspect the huge class size and placement doesn't bode well for how much help you might be able to receive from career services.

One drawback at WashU is the curriculum is fixed, but I think its an interesting mix of classes. Also, average age at WashU is 23 and most students won't have work exp, so that could work both ways for different applicants.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF at UIUc VS Washington University [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 13:37
Thanks for your reply. Do you mind sharing ur stats like ur gpa, gmat score, wor ex etc. Have you received ur admit letter from uiuc and washington? I do think the program at the Washington University is quite good. It has very good potential and will become quite popular in the future. But I also think the program is very quant oriented and better suited for people looking for such a program. The program at uiuc covers more areas in finance. The one other thing I like about the program is that they are a CFA program partner. Their placement rates worries me esp since I am an international candidate. But they have some good companies recruiting on campus. I am unable to find any such info on the Washington website.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF at UIUc VS Washington University [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 03:14
Hello,
I too have received an admit from UIUC to their MSF program. Hadn't applied to WashUniv though. I've been browsing through a lot of such forums and people seem to have mixed feelings abt the program(@ UIUC), esp. the placement scenario. But the fact that UIUC has a good reputation in terms of curriculum, faculty is one thing that everybody agrees with. From the perspective of overall ranking, Washington Univ is placed higher in the list for sure. Anyways I've decided to join UIUC and give it a shot. Also I personally feel that the university ranking aside, getting a good placement has a lot to do with the applicant and his/her potential ,not to mention good gpa, interview preparation and the like. Btw, I'm an international applicant(from India) and let me know if you're joining UIUC, we could be in the same batch :)
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF at UIUc VS Washington University [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 04:33
hey there...I am joining uiuc! R u traveling from India?
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF at UIUc VS Washington University [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2008, 20:59
Yes I'm travelling from India. Visa processing is still pending.. Received my I-20 a couple of days back. Hoping to schedule an appointment sometime soon. Too many things to do, too little time..
Which part of India are u from?

Last edited by nair12 on 24 Nov 2010, 08:22, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: MSF at UIUc VS Washington University [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 07:40
i would say washington
Re: MSF at UIUc VS Washington University   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2010, 07:40