Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 03:12
As you see, there aren't much official info on MSF. I'm going to apply for only MSF, and others like MFE is too difficult for me(the maths is horrible to me, and I don't know what I can learn other than MSF). I've just graduated and there's one year gap between. Actually I just concerned about the prospect of getting a good job in i-bank. So which do you think will best help me concerning the school ranking, quality, and location for jobs.

As far as I know, there are not too many Universities that have MSF. And these I 'm interested:
Princeton
UIUC
John's hopkins
Boston College
Brandeis
Vanderbilt
Washington in st. louis
Tulane

And these two I haven't heard of , but they are in the top 50 comprehensive rankings.
University of Rochester,
Case Western Reserve University

So as far as my needs are concerned, what do you suggest besides those I mentioned? And money is really a big problem, plus I have no working experience except for some internship and social or school activities.
welcome you'll to the discussion and I highly appreciate your help. I hope those who have already made it/at school and others who are interested in MSF come here.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 29 May 2008, 23:22
can anyone give me suggestion? I'm going to apply for the 09 fall program in MSF. thanks in advance
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2008, 09:08
i can see there are tens of views. are any of you willing to help me? we can have some discussion here
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2008, 10:31
hey i am almost in the same problem as yours. I am currently in the last yr of my Bachelor's degree and wish to apply for Fall 09 MSF program. Not at all sure of the universities to apply in. Am planning to givr my GRE in Oct though. Not at all sure of the minum requirements even. Have searched some unis but didnot find a concrete ranking as such. Can anyone please guide on this?

thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2008, 21:35
hey, grad09, get my msn sugarlovekandy@hotmail.com , we can talk about that a little :evil:
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 14:08
Hi , i've a question :for the MSF, we must take GRE or GMAT ? I plan to take GMAT on December for Fall 09
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 05:01
Hope I can help a little mate.

I'm originally from the states but am currently in the MSc Finance program at the London School of Economics. I'm doing the program part-time as I currently work full-time in strategy/biz dev for a second phased start-up.

I've just completed my exams for the first year and I must say, I am extremely impressed with the program. The core classes gave a brilliant overview of Corporate Finance and Asset Markets, and the year two courses are supposed to get even more tecnhical.

As for job prospects, I'm looking to transition into firmwide strategy w/in an ibank afterwards. I think my current work experience, combined with the MSc Finance will be a perfect fit.

As for schools in the states, I've heard Princeton is the way to go for this speacilized degree. If you're willing to venture to London, I would certainly look at the LSE program as well as the LBS program. Both are very good and place well. If you choose to apply to LSE, you should apply to various Finance related Masters as the MSc Finance full-time only accepted 40 out of 1500 applicants this past year.

In my honest opinion (and I'll know more next year!), the MSc Finance from a top school will place just as well as an MBA. This is certainly the case in Europe, and I believe (and am hoping) it will be equivalent for Finance related fields in the states.

If there are any specific questions you have, please let me know.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 05:30
hey, briboy, can you add me to your msn? as mentioned above, sugarlovekandy@hotmail.com, I got a bunch of questions and i need your help to my decision.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 08:54
hey briboy, tell me what are ur opinions abt the following universities for MS Finance, i am unable to get any ranking as such..

Vanderbilt University
Uinversity of SanFransico
University of florida
University of Buffalo
Princeton university
george washington university
Boston university
Indiana university
John's Hopkins
Uni of illinois-Urbana Champaign

and yes GRE is also acceptable in most of the universities that offer MSF..besides some universities consider only the quantitative portion of GMAT or GRE...
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 01:06
how about Cass Business School,is this a good choice??
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 08:12
i don't think there's any official ranking on msf. but anyone know the exact reputation and quality of different universities? which is the best hit taking into accounts program, internship, scholarship and placements?
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 13:48
Hello,

I am also looking for suggestions regarding the universities.

I would be grateful if someone who has been thru' the process can help us out.

also I have only come across the universities like Tepper - CMU, Princeton, Villanova, UIUC etc. Does anyone have any idea about the programs from Gerogia Inst of Tech, North Carolina etc?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 14:17
Sugarjam - I don't really use MSN mate (I'm from the states) but if you private message me, I'll be happy to provide you w/ my e-mail address or number to answer any questions you may have.

As for the schools listed, I can only give an analysis on a few, but even that is not too in depth. For me, I was set on going to LSE or LBS because of the prestige and job prospects of the program.

As you know by now, the MSF is just recently coming into its own. From your list, the innovators (and therefore, probably the schools w/ the best job prospects) would be Princeton, Vanderbilt, Hopkins and BU. Indiana is also a solid business school (places amazingly well for ibanking, oddly enough) but again, the program is extremely new. If you have the credentials, I would focus on those 4/5 schools. Hope that helps.

Anything else, keep the questions rolling :)
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 14:45
John's hopkins is Carey Business School located in DC ??
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2008, 15:40
hello my name is elie i am Lebanese 20 year old student in finance at the american university of Beirut (number one uni in lebanon) i am currently in my final year and i plan to apply to a grad school for a finance masters for fall 2009 can you help me with what schools to choose. what do you personaly think about baruch (zicklin).
plz reply thank you in advance
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 23:12
I'm seeking for this information
Manager
Manager

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 23:18
thank for posting !!!
Manager
Manager

Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 23:18
thank for posting !!!
Re: MSF concerns of mine, looking for suggestions   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2012, 23:18