Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MSF/MFin Fall 2010 Applicants Get In Here [#permalink]
Hi nbd52,

thanks for the feedback. you are absolutely right. I am heavily leaning towards Ross. I do have a degree in finance and some experience that might be helpful, but competition will still be tough.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Aj, I think a masters in finance would be great for anything that involves heavy-duty finance. Any field of quantitative finance, research, etc. would probably correlate more with an MS Finance degree. However, a lot of the value from these masters degrees (both MSF and MBA comes from name-brand and network. Many MBA students would agree that the main value of their MBA is the networking opportunities and brand recognition that comes with it. The skills you need FOR the job you will learn ON the job.

In this sense, while I think the actual coursework and subjects you learn are more valuable in am MSF program, I'd say the MBA program has more "break-in value", in that it makes it easier to break into your chosen field (as long as you are attending a top 30ish MBA).

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nbd,
congrats on your admit into olin, great place..an thnks for th advice..
was comtemplating all over again, after seein some forums which widely discredit an MSF when compared to an MBA, well to an extent i do agree that an MBA does open up more opportunities. But for someone who wants to break into IB, Corp Fin.. don you think that recruiters would want someone with a more specialized finance degree as compared to an mgmt degree..? Everyone defi hasto learn on the job,I agree.. but don you feel that recruiters would want someone who is fully equipped, rather than hire an entry level trainee..?..just my thoughts..
well atleast I was under that impression when i applied for an MSF, not that Networking an brand name aren Important, I think they're as important as actually knowing your subject.
which would you choose if u had, an MSF offer from Simon, and one from UMASS- Boston..( i'l need to decide soon)
i also made it into stuart, freeman for MSF and made it into a couple of places in the U.K fro an MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey, I think the biggest thing to consider with the MSF vs. MBA debate is how much work exp you have and what types of positions you are aiming for. MSF is great for people who have less work experience (such as myself) and couldn't get into top MBA programs just yet. For instance, I just graduated from an undergrad program in engineering and I am using the MSF degree to transition into Finance. Some Finance Masters programs such as Princeton and Boston College are somewhere in between an MSF andBA program. Average work exp is higher and these degrees offer the specialization you are talking about.

I think an MBA is great for ppl with more experience looking to get into associate-level, managerial-level roles. MSF is great for breaking in at an entry-level position.

Of the schools you mentioned I am only familiar with Simon. From what I have heard, it is a great program. I would recommend it (although it depends on what field you want to get into).

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nbd,

defi agree with what u had to say..
good to hear..well im an engineer too..wanting an msf to break into the finance industry..
i would ideally wan to clear CFA L1, by the time im done with the masters..wahts ur take on that..from waht i hear..its like a benchmark thing..and recruiters defi do recognize this..
btw..which eng stream are u from..? and do u know any books on finance.. to get u warmed up before the course.. any essentials.. must reads..?
thanks..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AJ,

I think the CFA gets good recognition and respect in the finance world (for the most part, some people think its worthless but they seem to be in the minority). I think its especially great for Asset Management jobs, since the topics covered in the CFA are geared towards this type of work.

As far as books are concerned, I don't have much to recommend there. I took a few classes in undergrad (5 or 6 finance classes), however, the books were pretty useless.

Best of luck,

nbd
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nbd,

thats alright...thanks anyway..
well i want to wish you the best of luck,
v'l try an catch up in the U.S sometime..
bye..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
But for someone who wants to break into IB, Corp Fin.. don you think that recruiters would want someone with a more specialized finance degree as compared to an mgmt degree..?
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Aj666 wrote:
nbd,

do u know any books on finance.. to get u warmed up before the course.. any essentials.. must reads..?
thanks..

check John hulls for derivatives and Fabozzi on Fixed Income basics

but if you can get hold of CFA L1 material...thats best to start with
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dear alchemist,

thanks for that..will look into that...any idea where i could get hold off CFA L1 books..?
or will it be given as you register for it..
Do you have any idea about how to go about the CFA..

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V42
Send PM
usually you get material after enrolling for level-1....you can probably get hold of 2nd hand books depending upon the country you live

but you can get free copy of their section on ethics codes...but mind you that is least revealing if want to understand the course content

in addition, Schweser and Stalla are two most famous prep institutes...
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V42
Send PM
also one can get decent info on CFA Institute site or analystforumcom
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey everyone..i am a chemical engg from an IIT (previously IT-BHU) with 8.0 GPA...having work exp of 25 month as a derivative trader in a leading prop trading firm...passed level 1 of CFA from AIMR..
well i want to pursue masters in finance/ financial engg/ finance with eco or similiar courses,,i have some queries with me as follows..

1.Do i need to give GMAT only for these or i can get in through GRE too..
2. which are the good colleges or universities are there which suits my profile..
3.can i get some kind scholarship for these courses...
4.if i have to start my masters in next yr (jul\aug-11) then by what time i have to appear for GMAT/GRE latest.

all kind of answers are appriciated..thanx guyz.

Anshul
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6 
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts