Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink]
Hey..
I gave the GRE (Q - 155, V - 157 AWA 5.5)..
I am looking to apply to a MS Finance program in the US..
Specifically University of Illinois or Purdue.

Am I aiming too high?
What are the safe schools?
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
If you are looking at Purdue then add UIUC as a safe school. Maybe DePaul in Chicago.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MSFHQ wrote:
If you are looking at Purdue then add UIUC as a safe school. Maybe DePaul in Chicago.

UIUC as a safe school? Is it that easy to get into? Even with my dismal scores? :|
I am just pretty discouraged. I dont know where to apply.

Thanks for your suggestion. Big fan of your website :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Suggest me please MSFHQ...

I am taking my GRE next month, aiming to get 160+ in maths...

How much do i need to score in maths and total GRE ? If i need to get in the below schools.
MIT
Princeton
UCB
UI UC
vanderbuilt

my profile
10th 76%, Maths 92%
+2 88% Maths 88%
undergraduate 76%, Quants 92%, Finance & accounts 88%
Graduate MBA Finance (decent school) 3.50/4 CGPA.
Qualified ICWAI(CMA) India, Certified Management Accountant.

3 year work ex, 18 months Bank of America Merrylynch(Equity Data Analyst),National Mineral Dev Corp as Finance Executive 2+ yeras.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hi Anthony,

I have 3 years of work experience (engineering background). I am looking to pursue MSF degree as I am aiming for a career shift into finance sector. But in majority of the schools' sites, I found the courses to be aimed at candidates having 1-2 years of work experience. Is Masters in finance, in general, a degree aimed at college freshers or people with less work experience? or Is MBA in Finance a better option with the experience I am having? But I seriously doubt the latter option because of my non-finance background. Kindly advise.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V31
Send PM
Top 50 school in the US by USNEWS, social science background, 3.1/4.0 gpa
GMAT 680, Merril Lynch internship experience, taken CFA LEVEL 1- didn't pass but ranked in the top 10% of those who didn't pass

What are your thoughts on where I should apply to? My list thus far is Vanderbuilt, Ohio state, University of Texas at Austin, and Pepperdine but I feel like I am reaching for the stars here with my low GPA. What do you suggest as some back up schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
MSFHQ, thanks for all the good info. I wanted to ask if you knew anything about the new MSF program that Georgetown is offering. It's online :( and brand new, just wondered how you thought it would be received by recruiters/employers ect?

I'm waaaay too old to be getting an MSF probably, but I'm locked into a military job for the next two years and this program seemed like a step in the right direction that I could start now and finish prior to getting out. Want an MBA but I got so much bad feedback about eMBAs for career changers that I backed off that idea and will be applying next fall for full-time in the unenviable position of a 30 y.o. seeking a career change. Hoping an MSF would be a good alternative investment as I wait out the end of my military obligation.

Appreciate your thoughts!
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
kv18 wrote:
Hi Anthony,

I have 3 years of work experience (engineering background). I am looking to pursue MSF degree as I am aiming for a career shift into finance sector. But in majority of the schools' sites, I found the courses to be aimed at candidates having 1-2 years of work experience. Is Masters in finance, in general, a degree aimed at college freshers or people with less work experience? or Is MBA in Finance a better option with the experience I am having? But I seriously doubt the latter option because of my non-finance background. Kindly advise.

People with 3-5 years experience typically benefit from an MBA, especially career changers. With that said, if you can't get into a top 15 MBA program you might want to consider an MSF and save time and money. If you do go this route I would suggest you try interning or networking before hand.
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
dustwun wrote:
MSFHQ, thanks for all the good info. I wanted to ask if you knew anything about the new MSF program that Georgetown is offering. It's online :( and brand new, just wondered how you thought it would be received by recruiters/employers ect?

I'm waaaay too old to be getting an MSF probably, but I'm locked into a military job for the next two years and this program seemed like a step in the right direction that I could start now and finish prior to getting out. Want an MBA but I got so much bad feedback about eMBAs for career changers that I backed off that idea and will be applying next fall for full-time in the unenviable position of a 30 y.o. seeking a career change. Hoping an MSF would be a good alternative investment as I wait out the end of my military obligation.

Appreciate your thoughts!

I think the program is good and well done. They are making an effort to have the online offering be innovative and interactive. I think it is going to be the best online experience you can get right now. I do believe there is a stigma attached to some online education (for profit mainly), but a bunch of well known and great schools have online degrees (Indiana, Penn State, Gtown, Drexel, etc).

As long as the military is going to help you defray the costs I think you should go for it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools: Owen '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Because MSF program applicants typically have less experience than MBAs (0-2 years), how important is work experience in relation to the rest of the application?

Do you see working part time for my father's company during the summer and winter breaks since I was 16 (now 21) and a good talking point? It was mostly bookkeeping and shipping/logistics. It is a small company but I grew up surrounded by business and definitely have more of an owners POV than an employees POV. I have always seen this work experience as a potential negative, thinking that it's my dad's company so they assume I have special treatment (except for getting days off for finals, not really) but now I'm starting to think it is a unique experience and a potential positive that I should highlight.

Also, how important is the interview? Are they looking more for the content of the answers or your delivery (poise, charisma, articulation, well-dressed, etc)?

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
SunnyAnd75 wrote:
Because MSF program applicants typically have less experience than MBAs (0-2 years), how important is work experience in relation to the rest of the application?

Do you see working part time for my father's company during the summer and winter breaks since I was 16 (now 21) and a good talking point? It was mostly bookkeeping and shipping/logistics. It is a small company but I grew up surrounded by business and definitely have more of an owners POV than an employees POV. I have always seen this work experience as a potential negative, thinking that it's my dad's company so they assume I have special treatment (except for getting days off for finals, not really) but now I'm starting to think it is a unique experience and a potential positive that I should highlight.

Also, how important is the interview? Are they looking more for the content of the answers or your delivery (poise, charisma, articulation, well-dressed, etc)?

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device

Work experience is a plus, but not necessary. Anything business related that you can put on your resume and talk about will only benefit you. Sounds like what you did at your job is relevant and should be highlighted.

As for the interview, be able to answer "why XYZ university/program" and "why a MSF". Schools want to know that you aren't just mass applying (which is fine if you are) and they want to know that you have thought about how this specialized degree is going to help you get to where you need to be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi, Have been following msfhq for a around a year, and really helped me in getting insight knowledge on MSF which i really want to pursue. I have done MBA and have bachelors in engineering ( usual trend in my country). For the Past three years have been working with a reputed bank in trade finance. But i see myself focusing on Corporate finance, as i helped, rather advised one of my SME clients and helped them in initial structuring of private equity. I want to explore this avenue in detail and have a tremendous urge to study in depth about Mergers and acquisitions. Also have done a course ( two day only) from BSE India , Just to get an idea what M&A actually is.

I have given GRE, scored 303 and was aiming for brandies and Bentley, but due to some document delay i couldn't apply and would be applying for fall 2015. gave TOEFL today itself and positive on getting above 100.

My query is whether i should re appear for my GRE as i have time at my hand. or should i apply to these plus more A tier universities, cause my focus is only on studying corporate finance and M&A.

Also are there any "Good" universities which take spring intake in east coast

Please help :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Interested in the MsF, Vanderbilt in particular.

Undergrad GPA 3.3 (Poli Sci)

Law school GPA 3.4 (Top 30%)

Just took GMAT and scored 620 (60+ points below my practices), definitely re-taking.

A little less than 1 year work experience on Project Finance team at a top tier regional law firm in the middle east, will have about 2 years total when matriculate in fall 2015. Interned for a federal judge second year of law school.

Want to switch careers from law to finance, in particular interested in i-banking or equity research.

Took Microecon (A-) and Macroecon (D+, pathetic I know but just never showed up for class/studied/etc) in undergrad but didn't take a ton of math and only stats course I took was a political research stats course (A or A-).

In law school, set the curve (A+) in Corporate Finance - a purely quantitative course, not legal in any respect. Also, did a project on the TVIX (a volatility linked exchange traded note) that got the top grade in another law school course called Deals, the project examined the underlying economics of the product and the legal governance of it (part of why I'm so interested in Vandy is the guy who invented the VIX is a prof there and I believe teaches courses in the MsF program).

What GMAT would I need to have to a shot at Vandy? Or is Vandy out of the realm of possibility?

I also notice they say in their FAQs that "it is expected that incoming students have one year of calculus and statistics" - how concrete is that expectation? Is it a strict requirement or more of a suggestion?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Additionally, after further research I am also interested Villanova's MSF, especially their fellowship program. Given the information I posted above, what GMAT score would I need to have a solid chance at the fellowship?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM