Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSF Q&A

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 21:00
BostonCollegeMSF wrote:
Thanks for the input for the sake of clarity my profile:

Non Target undergrad double major finance/econ 3.5
GMAT 680
1 BB PWM internship
10 months irrelevant full time postion

Should I be aiming higher if I am trying to break into IB in NYC??

Are you applying this year? I ask because a lot of programs are getting close to final rounds.

Your profile is good enough that I can see you getting into programs with more of a formalized career center and better historic placements. I love BC, but for the longest time it was a night time program for Boston professionals. Hence why I think they had less emphasis on placements. That being said, BC alumni and the Boston area would be a natural and easy spot for you to try and break in.

You'd be competitive at Vanderbilt, Villanova, Claremont, UT Austin, etc. All this depends on your financial situation and where you are comfortable working.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 04:30
MSFHQ wrote:
BostonCollegeMSF wrote:
Thanks for the input for the sake of clarity my profile:

Non Target undergrad double major finance/econ 3.5
GMAT 680
1 BB PWM internship
10 months irrelevant full time postion

Should I be aiming higher if I am trying to break into IB in NYC??

Are you applying this year? I ask because a lot of programs are getting close to final rounds.

Your profile is good enough that I can see you getting into programs with more of a formalized career center and better historic placements. I love BC, but for the longest time it was a night time program for Boston professionals. Hence why I think they had less emphasis on placements. That being said, BC alumni and the Boston area would be a natural and easy spot for you to try and break in.

You'd be competitive at Vanderbilt, Villanova, Claremont, UT Austin, etc. All this depends on your financial situation and where you are comfortable working.

Yes I am trying to start in the Fall of 2014 my only reason for applying specifically to BC is that I have read alot about MSF programs being regional, in that recruiters only recruit from schools in the area. The end game is to get to Wall Street.

I did read that Vanderbilt had excellent placements in NYC but I am not sure Tennessee is somewhere I could see myself living, but if the program is worth it I could definitely suck it up for a year.

Claremont was on the list but seemed like it was again too far away from the east coast, even though from what I have read this is the best pure MSF program out there.

Would you rank BC above Villanova? I figured that BC was the better option here

When it comes to financial situation I am not too concerned with price I see this as an investment that will have a high ROI in the near future and is a means to landing a job in a field that I am extremely passionate about yet cant seem to break into!

Do you think I should apply to one of the above mentioned? Would I have a better chance at achieving my goal?
Manager
Manager

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 07:46
Let me disclaim that I am a 2010 Villanova MSF graduate.

I would look at Nova, BC, Vanderbilt. If your goal is east coast, specifically NYC, then these schools place in these areas. Vanderbilt has more southern placements, but if you like NYC you can get there. Villanova has a geographic advantage meaning you can be in NYC in an hour and a half from Villanova. DC in two.

BC and Villanova are pretty comparable. Villanova has been doing the FT, day cohort a little longer so it has more historic placements, but that doesn't mean BC isn't a good program. I know Villanova wins on price. Have you been to either campus?

Shoot me a PM if you want to talk about Nova further.

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 12:16
Hi MSFHQ!

I have a question regarding a specific MSF program. What do you think of the Vlerick program (in Belgium) and its placements? I heard it has one of the best ROI in Europe, and it is decently ranked in the FT and The Economist.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2014, 18:15
Griffith wrote:
Hi MSFHQ!

I have a question regarding a specific MSF program. What do you think of the Vlerick program (in Belgium) and its placements? I heard it has one of the best ROI in Europe, and it is decently ranked in the FT and The Economist.

Thank you!

Don't know too much about the program. I am focusing on expanding my posts to more European programs so I will look into it. I think the FT rankings are a good guide regarding continental European programs. They have a new ranking coming out so keep an eye out for it.

IMO, it all depends on your citizenship, language skills and where you want to work. What does your profile look like and where else have you looked at applying?

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 02:40
Hi,

I am targeting US schools for MSF courses(not MFin) and a few from Europe (HEC,LSE). I think i am more comfortable scoring at GRE than GMAT. But as i see here, most have GMAT score.
1)Does giving GRE put me at a disadvantage vs GMAT?
2)Are there any schools which dont accept GRE?

Thank you so much.
Manager
Manager

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 03:37
texas03 wrote:
Hi,

I am targeting US schools for MSF courses(not MFin) and a few from Europe (HEC,LSE). I think i am more comfortable scoring at GRE than GMAT. But as i see here, most have GMAT score.
1)Does giving GRE put me at a disadvantage vs GMAT?
2)Are there any schools which dont accept GRE?

Thank you so much.

I replied in the other thread, but the GRE is fine for most schools. If it isn't listed on their site as taking it you can usually email and adcom and they will take it. Some schools might not though, but they will not be the majority.

What US schools are you looking at? What is your profile like?

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 07:57
Concerning career goal essays for MSF programs. Generally how far out do people layout their wanted career progression? Like going out to 5 years after graduation verse the end point of your career. I am just trying to figure this out as I am hitting a brick wall due to it.
Manager
Manager

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 21:36
Banzai wrote:
Concerning career goal essays for MSF programs. Generally how far out do people layout their wanted career progression? Like going out to 5 years after graduation verse the end point of your career. I am just trying to figure this out as I am hitting a brick wall due to it.

Realistically you want to talk about how the MSF will get you that first step and then talk about the 3-5 year goal. You can talk about your ultimate goal of being a CFO or a fund manager, whatever, but I think having a 1 and then 3-5 year plan is pretty good. Be detailed for the first plan and slightly less so for the 3-5. I personally think laying out too ridged of a 3-5 year plan is inviting disaster. Life changes too much.

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 03:16
MSFHQ wrote:
Banzai wrote:

Realistically you want to talk about how the MSF will get you that first step and then talk about the 3-5 year goal. You can talk about your ultimate goal of being a CFO or a fund manager, whatever, but I think having a 1 and then 3-5 year plan is pretty good. Be detailed for the first plan and slightly less so for the 3-5. I personally think laying out too ridged of a 3-5 year plan is inviting disaster. Life changes too much.

Awesome thanks for the help.
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 10:03
M.Sc Finance at Frankfurt School of Finance and Management or MSF at Bentley University? I'm Asian. So visa issues are a major consideration for me. I also know only A1 level of German, which isn't much.

I'd really appreciate some speedy advice to be honest! Need to respond to the univs pretty soon. Thanks a bunch!
Intern
Intern

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 23 May 2014, 15:30
Do you recommend the UT MSF for foreign students? How realistic is it for foreign students (British) to be placed in the U.S after the masters? Obviously McCombs has a strong reputation in the U.S but I am worried about its international reputation especially if it is not feasible to work in the U.S after completion.
Manager
Manager

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2014, 02:35
megre wrote:
Do you recommend the UT MSF for foreign students? How realistic is it for foreign students (British) to be placed in the U.S after the masters? Obviously McCombs has a strong reputation in the U.S but I am worried about its international reputation especially if it is not feasible to work in the U.S after completion.

I am going to assume you a fluent in English coming from the UK and all. IMO, being able to speak and write in a business setting is what hurts most international students. The visa issue just makes things even worse. McCombs is a top US business school and there are plenty of international UG's and MBA's. I am sure the school has a good reputation overseas which should help if you have to go back and work.

Also, McCombs is a big oil and gas feeder. Since O&G is global I would imagine you'd be able to find an oil company that would be willing to sponsor.

Either way I think it is a good program that should help you regardless of if you stay in the US or go back home. On a side note, have you looked at the usual UK programs? Why are you looking at McCombs specifically?

Master in Finance HQ

Intern
Intern

Re: MSF Q&A [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2014, 08:14
MSFHQ wrote:
megre wrote:

I am going to assume you a fluent in English coming from the UK and all. IMO, being able to speak and write in a business setting is what hurts most international students. The visa issue just makes things even worse. McCombs is a top US business school and there are plenty of international UG's and MBA's. I am sure the school has a good reputation overseas which should help if you have to go back and work.

Also, McCombs is a big oil and gas feeder. Since O&G is global I would imagine you'd be able to find an oil company that would be willing to sponsor.

Either way I think it is a good program that should help you regardless of if you stay in the US or go back home. On a side note, have you looked at the usual UK programs? Why are you looking at McCombs specifically?

Yes English is my first language. Choosing McCombs as it's probably the top U.S university that I can get into. I did well in the GMAT (750) but my grades are quite poor (Around 3.1-3.2 in finance from a well know University roughly converted from U.K. scale). I think that U.K schools put more stock into collegiate results whilst the U.S schools put more stock into the GMAT, especially for foreign students. This allows me to get into stronger U.S schools than in the U.K. I also have an interest in the energy sector so that's obviously another big plus for McCombs, although I would prefer to go into IB initially and eventually move towards energy rather than going straight into energy corporate finance. I was offered a place at McCombs this year late in the process but I decided to do an internship for the year to gain more experience and put less financial strain when I do the MSF.

My main worry would be that if I take it there will be an issue with getting placed in the U.S. Whilst McCombs is known well in the U.S it is not that well known in Europe. I have no problem living in the states as I love the country so if placement for foreign students wasn't a major issue I would love to do the MSF next year.

Would I be correct in saying that the only MSF/MFin unquestionably stronger than UT is MIT?

Thanks for your help
Re: MSF Q&A   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2014, 08:14