Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MSF Students in Career Search: Experiences?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

MSF Students in Career Search: Experiences? [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2007, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
I am currently in Villanova's MSF program and am very disappointed with the reception I am getting from recruiters.

The program has given us mentors and professional development courses but has not done too much as far as career search help (the school caters mainly to undergrads and full-time graduate programs are new to the school). As a result, we have been directed to apply for the same positions as undergraduates.

Either because the degree is not well known or because a preconceived notion of a large salary premium for Master's students exists, a good number of my classmates and myself have been turned down for interview after interview. I have experience in my desired field and a very high GPA from undergrad so I don't think that's the issue. It seems we're stuck in the middle between undergrads and MBAs with few companies willing to help us find our place or give us a chance.

A lot of the big companies will be done interviewing on campus shortly for their analyst programs, leaving the rest of us to fend against experienced candidates for specific positions come spring.

I was wondering if anyone here who has graduated with a MSF would be able to share their experiences in the recruiting process and any tips they could offer.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Re: MSF Students in Career Search: Experiences? [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
MASTERNC wrote:
I am currently in Villanova's MSF program and am very disappointed with the reception I am getting from recruiters.

The program has given us mentors and professional development courses but has not done too much as far as career search help (the school caters mainly to undergrads and full-time graduate programs are new to the school). As a result, we have been directed to apply for the same positions as undergraduates.

Either because the degree is not well known or because a preconceived notion of a large salary premium for Master's students exists, a good number of my classmates and myself have been turned down for interview after interview. I have experience in my desired field and a very high GPA from undergrad so I don't think that's the issue. It seems we're stuck in the middle between undergrads and MBAs with few companies willing to help us find our place or give us a chance.

A lot of the big companies will be done interviewing on campus shortly for their analyst programs, leaving the rest of us to fend against experienced candidates for specific positions come spring.

I was wondering if anyone here who has graduated with a MSF would be able to share their experiences in the recruiting process and any tips they could offer.

I am thinking about applying to Villanova MSF program... I asked the Adcom about this exact question and his answer was that most of the graduates from the program get an analyst position and it seems like top investment banks do hire from the program.... It is discouraging to hear that you are having difficulties finding a job... how is the program? do you think it is worth it? what is your background if you dont mind me asking... here is my background... 2 yrs public accounting.. cpa.. 710 gmat.. i am also looking into investment banking after i graduate.. i dont really care if i get an analyst or an associate position... either of them will work for me...

let me know what you think.. thanks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2007, 17:46
This post received
KUDOS
The academics are great and quite helpful, but the program has become less intimate as it has doubled in size since the year I applied. Furthermore, as I stated, there is little specialized career support.

There are several students who have been interviewing for IB jobs. I'm not looking at IB and that may be one reason I am having difficulty. However, with a graduate degree and work experience you will probably have an easier time but would be better suited to apply on your own to associate programs.

So I wouldn't let the career thing discourage you. The program overall is good and if you're self-directed in your career search, you'll come out well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 06:38
MASTERNC wrote:
The academics are great and quite helpful, but the program has become less intimate as it has doubled in size since the year I applied. Furthermore, as I stated, there is little specialized career support.

There are several students who have been interviewing for IB jobs. I'm not looking at IB and that may be one reason I am having difficulty. However, with a graduate degree and work experience you will probably have an easier time but would be better suited to apply on your own to associate programs.

So I wouldn't let the career thing discourage you. The program overall is good and if you're self-directed in your career search, you'll come out well.

Thanks for the info! Good luck in your job search.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 21:18
hi guys
my profile islike this ma eco gmat 680 but NO WORK EX
am lookin 2 apply for msf for few us colleges
plz ell me ll it possible to get a job in ibanking {equity research}?i am not worried about salary or name of bank but want a job
widut the wrk ex

am really confuse
plz help
  [#permalink] 22 Oct 2007, 21:18