Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Multiple modulus inequalities

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 238
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 25

Multiple modulus inequalities [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 01:01
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi guys

Need to know how to solve multiple modulus inequalities

Ex - Solve |x-10| - |2x+3| <= |5x-10|

I do understand that we need to first find the roots, which happen to be 10, -3/2 and 2 in this case

we can then divide them into intervals -

x<-3/2
-3/2<x<2
2<x<10
x>10

what do we do post this division into intervals?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23396
Followers: 3609

Kudos [?]: 28830 [2] , given: 2853

Re: Multiple modulus inequalities [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 02:47
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
zaarathelab wrote:
Hi guys

Need to know how to solve multiple modulus inequalities

Ex - Solve |x-10| - |2x+3| <= |5x-10|

I do understand that we need to first find the roots, which happen to be 10, -3/2 and 2 in this case

we can then divide them into intervals -

x<-3/2
-3/2<x<2
2<x<10
x>10

what do we do post this division into intervals?


If we dot he way you are proposing:

Yes, there are 3 check point at which absolute values in the example change their sign: -3/2, 2, and 10 (te values of x for which the expression in || equals to zero). Then you should expand the modulus in these ranges:

A. x<-\frac{3}{2} --> |x-10|-|2x+3|\leq{|5x-10|} --> -(x-10)+(2x+3)\leq{-(5x-10)} --> 6x\leq{-3} --> x\leq{-\frac{1}{2} --> as we considering the range when x<-\frac{3}{2}, then finally we should write x<-\frac{3}{2}:
----(-\frac{3}{2})---------------------------------

B. -\frac{3}{2}\leq{x}\leq{2} --> -(x-10)-(2x+3)\leq{-(5x10)} --> 2x<=3 --> x<={\frac{3}{2} --> {-\frac{3}{2}}\leq{x}\leq{\frac{3}{2}};
----(-\frac{3}{2})----(\frac{3}{2})-------------------------

C. 2<x<10 --> -(x-10)-(2x+3)\leq{5x-10} --> 17\leq{8x} --> x\geq{\frac{17}{8}} --> {\frac{17}{8}}\leq{x}<10;
---------------------(\frac{17}{8})--------(10)----

D. x\geq{10} --> (x-10)-(2x+3)\leq{5x-10} --> -3\leq{6x --> x\geq{-\frac{1}{2}} --> x\geq{10};
---------------------(\frac{17}{8})--------(10)----

After combining the ranges we've got, we can conclude that the ranges in which the given inequality holds true are:
x\leq{\frac{3}{2}} and {\frac{17}{8}}\leq{x}
----(-\frac{3}{2})----(\frac{3}{2})----(\frac{17}{8})--------(10)-----


One important detail when you define the critical points (10, -3/2 and 2) you should include them in either of intervals you check. So when you wrote:
x<-3/2
-3/2<x<2
2<x<10
x>10

You should put equal sign for each of the critical point in either interval. For example:
x=<-3/2
-3/2<x<=2
2<x<1=0
x>10

Notice, that in solution I put the equal sign in different way, but it doesn't matter. It's important just to consider the cases when x equals to the critical points and include them when expanding given inequality.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 385
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 87

Re: Multiple modulus inequalities [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 01:31
Could somebody explain this in detail, please?

I didn't get the concept of roots here, it doesn't make the equation zero - isn't it?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23396
Followers: 3609

Kudos [?]: 28830 [0], given: 2853

Re: Multiple modulus inequalities [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 01:47
Expert's post
bsaikrishna wrote:
Could somebody explain this in detail, please?

I didn't get the concept of roots here, it doesn't make the equation zero - isn't it?


When x<=0 then |x|=x and if x>0 then |x|=-x.

For |x-10|: when x<=10 then |x-10|=-(x-10) (because if x<=10 then x-10<=0) and when x>10 then |x-10|=x-10 (because if x>10 then x-10>0). So, zaarathelab calls "roots" (you can also call "critical point" or "check point") the values of x for which the expression in || equals to zero: in two different cases when x<that value and x>that value the absolute values expands with different sign (it switches the sign at this value).

Check Absolute Values chapter of Math Book for more: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: May The Force Be With Me (D-DAY 15 May 2012)
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 292
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Multiple modulus inequalities [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 01:55
Hi,

I solved the modulus by taking the positive & negative scenarios of each modulus. I solved them separately & arrived at 1/2 <= x & x<= -1/2.

Am I on the right track or messed up some where??
_________________

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.


Last edited by boomtangboy on 01 Feb 2012, 02:05, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23396
Followers: 3609

Kudos [?]: 28830 [0], given: 2853

Re: Multiple modulus inequalities [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 01:59
Expert's post
boomtangboy wrote:
Hi,

I solved the modulus by taking the positive & negative scenarios of each modulus. I solved them separately & arrived at 1/2 <= x & x<= -1/2.

Am I on the right track or messed up some where??


The answer to the initial question is x<=3/2 or 17/8<=x, so "1/2 <= x & x<= -1/2" is not right. Check my previous post: you should check different cases for different ranges to get the correct answer.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: Multiple modulus inequalities [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2012, 10:45
Bunuel wrote:
zaarathelab wrote:
Hi guys

Need to know how to solve multiple modulus inequalities

Ex - Solve |x-10| - |2x+3| <= |5x-10|

I do understand that we need to first find the roots, which happen to be 10, -3/2 and 2 in this case

we can then divide them into intervals -

x<-3/2
-3/2<x<2
2<x<10
x>10

what do we do post this division into intervals?


If we dot he way you are proposing:

Yes, there are 3 check point at which absolute values in the example change their sign: -3/2, 2, and 10 (te values of x for which the expression in || equals to zero). Then you should expand the modulus in these ranges:

A. x<-\frac{3}{2} --> |x-10|-|2x+3|\leq{|5x-10|} --> -(x-10)+(2x+3)\leq{-(5x-10)} --> 6x\leq{-3} --> x\leq{-\frac{1}{2} --> as we considering the range when x<-\frac{3}{2}, then finally we should write x<-\frac{3}{2}:
----(-\frac{3}{2})---------------------------------

B. -\frac{3}{2}\leq{x}\leq{2} --> -(x-10)-(2x+3)\leq{-(5x10)} --> 2x<=3 --> x<={\frac{3}{2} --> {-\frac{3}{2}}\leq{x}\leq{\frac{3}{2}};
----(-\frac{3}{2})----(\frac{3}{2})-------------------------

C. 2<x<10 --> -(x-10)-(2x+3)\leq{5x-10} --> 17\leq{8x} --> x\geq{\frac{17}{8}} --> {\frac{17}{8}}\leq{x}<10;
---------------------(\frac{17}{8})--------(10)----

D. x\geq{10} --> (x-10)-(2x+3)\leq{5x-10} --> -3\leq{6x --> x\geq{-\frac{1}{2}} --> x\geq{10};
---------------------(\frac{17}{8})--------(10)----

After combining the ranges we've got, we can conclude that the ranges in which the given inequality holds true are:
x\leq{\frac{3}{2}} and {\frac{17}{8}}\leq{x}
----(-\frac{3}{2})----(\frac{3}{2})----(\frac{17}{8})--------(10)-----


One important detail when you define the critical points (10, -3/2 and 2) you should include them in either of intervals you check. So when you wrote:
x<-3/2
-3/2<x<2
2<x<10
x>10

You should put equal sign for each of the critical point in either interval. For example:
x=<-3/2
-3/2<x<=2
2<x<1=0
x>10

Notice, that in solution I put the equal sign in different way, but it doesn't matter. It's important just to consider the cases when x equals to the critical points and include them when expanding given inequality.



Hi Brunel,

How do we decide the signs in front of the modulus in the equation. :(
Eg:: |x-10| - |2x+3| <= |5x-10|......say we are looking in an interval - 3/2 to 2. then based on what concentration do we put +or - sign in front of the modulus.


and please explain >> step 1----------x = sqrt (x^2) ?
< step w--------------- => x = |x| ? How do this. please explain concept behind this math.

Thanks!!
_________________

--------------------------------------------

Never Say Die



die die die die die die die die
--------------------------------------------

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 23396
Followers: 3609

Kudos [?]: 28830 [1] , given: 2853

Re: Multiple modulus inequalities [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 03:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Maverick04308 wrote:
Hi Brunel,

How do we decide the signs in front of the modulus in the equation. :(
Eg:: |x-10| - |2x+3| <= |5x-10|......say we are looking in an interval - 3/2 to 2. then based on what concentration do we put +or - sign in front of the modulus.


and please explain >> step 1----------x = sqrt (x^2) ?
< step w--------------- => x = |x| ? How do this. please explain concept behind this math.

Thanks!!


Explained here: multiple-modulus-inequalities-88174.html#p1037473

Hope it helps.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Multiple modulus inequalities   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2012, 03:50
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Absolute inequality with multiple absolutes fullymooned 1 20 Dec 2013, 09:19
Experts publish their posts in the topic DS inequalities and Modulus pnf619 3 02 Sep 2012, 02:52
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic modulus inequalities krishnasty 7 19 Nov 2010, 08:48
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic 2 sums with Modulus and Inequality both rahuljaiswal 16 27 Oct 2010, 01:55
Inequalities and modulus subarao 0 13 Aug 2008, 20:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Multiple modulus inequalities

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.