Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 166

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 07:11
+1 D

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 03:20
Between D and E I chose D as in the first BF an If is used which points at a judgement and the second BF has the position which should be taken if the judgement is correct hence D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 20

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 16:44
thangvietnam wrote:
Stacey at beatthegmat make an article for this kind of question, in which the mode of attack is finding the conclusion and the relation of each bold phrase to the conclusion.

I wish to have 40/51 verbal but I never do bold phrase questions. why?. This question is at the end of the test and there are not many questions of this kind for practice.

For BF questions, take everything for granted, i.e., if it looks like a conclusion, don't question why it is a conclusion. Similarly, if something is stated as an assumption, don't question how can it be assumption.

Read the argument; get an understanding of it. Read answer choices and try to fit them.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 18:29
This one was a bit confusing at first because of the wording of D.
I was unsure and picked B as well. However " paint is the most sensitive substance in these works" is not a position taken on by the argument. The argument being that museum directors should not be rash ...
D is right because the first part is easily "yes" that's true. but the second part of D answer choice is referring to the position in the first part not the position of what the author had in mind.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 11:28
D is correct choice here IMO...

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 16:17
D.

The second bold statement is made basing on the first bold statement. The argument further provides details calling into question the position made in the second bold statement.

Only choice D clearly states the nature of these statements.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3670 [0], given: 185

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 12:00
Expert's post
Great question monsoon1. Position and Judgement can be interchanged in certain scenarios because they are quite inter-related. You take a position on something based on your judgement. for example: I support Obama (my position) because in my opinion (judgement) he is better suited to take the country out of recession. Now, can I say that my position is that Obama is better suited to take the country out of recession - yes I can say that.

Let me know if this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 126

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 09:44
egmat wrote:
Great question monsoon1. Position and Judgement can be interchanged in certain scenarios because they are quite inter-related. You take a position on something based on your judgement. for example: I support Obama (my position) because in my opinion (judgement) he is better suited to take the country out of recession. Now, can I say that my position is that Obama is better suited to take the country out of recession - yes I can say that.

Let me know if this helps.

Perfect! It makes sense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 137

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 10:32
Took me 5 minutes :x

1st:
Anyway, you have to focus on the WHOLE argument. Then, realize that the last sentence of the argument doesn't agree with

the two boldface portions. From understanding this we can eliminate

A. "...the second is the position taken by the argument"

B. "the first is a position taken by the argument..."

E. "...the second is a the position the taken by the argument"

2nd:
Now you got a 50% chance of getting the answer correct. Differences between C and D:

Premise: Paint is the most sensitive substance in these works.

Conclusion: Museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings.

C. The argument DOES call the first bold statement into question, however, the second boldface is NOT supported by the first

one. This is basically saying that the relationship is Conclusion - Premise (incorrect)

D. The argument DOES call the first bold statement into question AND the second bold face is supported by the first.

Hence, Premise - Conclusion (correct)

If my post has contributed to your learning or teaching in any way, feel free to hit the kudos button ^_^

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 46

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 19:42
aurobindo wrote:
Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store them in envbironments that are carefully kept within narrow margins of temperature and humidity to inhibit any deterioration. Laboratory tests have shown that the kind of oil paint used in these paintings actually adjusts to climatic changes quite well. If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works, then by relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings. Museums would be rash to relax those standards, however, since results of preliminary tests indicate that gesso, a compound routinely used by Renaissance artists to help paint adhere to the canvas, is unable to withstand significant variations in humidity.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument; the second is the position taken by the argument.
B. The first is the position taken by the argument; the second is the position that the argument calls into question.
C. The first is a judgment that has been offered in support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is a circumstance on which that judgment is, in part based.
D. The first is a judgment that has been offered in support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is that positon.
E. The first is a claim that the argument calls into question; the second is the position taken by the argument.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
OG12 CR 124

Attachment:
Renaissance_Oil_Paintings.jpg

Need every option`s explanation
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 06:27
vsaxenaGMAT wrote:
:oops: Hi All,
lets discuss what GMAC means by "Claim", "position", "judgement". Such terms may reappear and then discuss this question again.

I think:
Claim: each side of argument
Position: just a stand point or a view on which a claim is made.
judgement: When supported by aurgument, a Position should be concidered as judgement.

Can someone elaborate the above three definition.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3670 [0], given: 185

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 02:25
Expert's post
animesh_an wrote:
vsaxenaGMAT wrote:
:oops: Hi All,
lets discuss what GMAC means by "Claim", "position", "judgement". Such terms may reappear and then discuss this question again.

I think:
Claim: each side of argument
Position: just a stand point or a view on which a claim is made.
judgement: When supported by aurgument, a Position should be concidered as judgement.

Can someone elaborate the above three definition.

Hi Animesh,

I don't agree with the above definitions. All of these three words could be used to refer to the same statement. For example: If I say:

Joe is an idiot since he does not care about studies.

Here, the underlined part "Joe is an idiot" is my judgment about Joe. Right? You know about judgments that people make about others. So, I can call this statement a "judgment".
I can also call it my claim since I am claiming something i.e. "Joe is an idiot". I can also claim " I am super human". In a similar way, "Joe is an idiot" can also be called a claim.
Lastly, "Joe is an idiot" is also my position or the position of the argument since the argument as a whole seeks to establish that "Joe is an idiot" by providing a reason that "he does not care about the studies".

The same statement "Joe is an idiot" in the above context can also be called "the main conclusion of the argument", or "opinion", or "belief".

There are no specific definition for these words in the context of GMAT; what these words mean in our everyday life is what they mean in GMAT. So, if you know the meaning of these terms from your everyday usage, you need not cram any definitions.

I think you should solve some official CR questions. You'll then better appreciate what I have said here.

Also, e-GMAT offers "Bold Face" concept files as part of the free trial. You may want to try it out. It' completely. Click on the below image.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 291

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 18:48
The feeling when you get a bold face CR right!!! Awesome :D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GPA: 3.98
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 17

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2014, 08:22
Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store them in envbironments that are carefully kept within narrow margins of temperature and humidity to inhibit any deterioration. Laboratory tests have shown that the kind of oil paint used in these paintings actually adjusts to climatic changes quite well. If, as some museum directors believe, paint is the most sensitive substance in these works, then by relaxing the standards for temperature and humidity control, museums can reduce energy costs without risking damage to these paintings. Museums would be rash to relax those standards, however, since results of preliminary tests indicate that gesso, a compound routinely used by Renaissance artists to help paint adhere to the canvas, is unable to withstand significant variations in humidity.

In the argument above, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

- Background
- Evidence
B - hypothetical situation
B - hypothetical outcome
- Evidence against the adoption of the hypothetical situation.

Moreover: Boldface statements agree to each other. The main conclusion doesn't agree with the boldface statements

A. The first is an objection that has been raised against the position taken by the argument; the second is the position taken by the argument.
The second is not the position taken by the argument. Out
B. The first is the position taken by the argument; the second is the position that the argument calls into question.
The first is not the position taken by the argument. Out
C. The first is a judgment that has been offered in support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is a circumstance on which that judgment is, in part based.
The second is not a circumstance, it is the hypothetical outcome. Out
D. The first is a judgment that has been offered in support of the position that the argument calls into question; the second is that position.
Fits perfectly
E. The first is a claim that the argument calls into question; the second is the position taken by the argument.
The second is not the position taken by the argument. Out

Either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If my posts are helping you show some love awarding a kudos

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-10-2014
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

CAT Tests
Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2014, 07:38
C for me, though the OA is D.. cant really think that much in 2 minutes :p

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 50

Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2014, 14:14
I chose D.

For me, it offered the reasoning for the position that standards could be relaxed. But, the conclusion disputed that premise.
Re: Museums that house Renaissance oil paintings typically store   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2014, 14:14