Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 643 [2] , given: 6

Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 17:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

39% (01:55) correct 61% (00:51) wrong based on 165 sessions
Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style music that during the time was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach.

(A) music that during the time was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach
(B) music that was, during the time, prominent primarily because of J.S. Bach's works
(C) music, which, because of the works of J.S. Bach, were primarily prominent during the time
(D) music, that was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach during the time
(E) music, that was prominent during the time primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 18:09
I was confused between D and E, but opted for E after second reading.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with E here.

The original sentence uses that without a comma - suggesting that the modifier "that during the time was ..." is an essential one. But from the intent of the original sentence it is clear that we do not need an essential modifier. A non-essential modifier preceded by a comma which modifies the "style of music" => Eliminate A and B.
C has a S-V error. Eliminate.
D changes the meaning/intent.

E it is.

Crick
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 09:20
Why is B wrong??
Can someone please explain?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 274 [1] , given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Babzsn84,
B is wrong because:-
a) "baroque style music that was" causing the sentence to be an ambiguous one.
b) music that was, during the time and prominent primarily are all causing unnecessary fragments/modifiers....
Hope this helps...

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 29

Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 12:25
Hi rajeevrks27 ...Thanks for clarifying the doubt.Clear now why it is E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 21:31
A. is awkward
b. 'during the time' dangling modifier
c. is awkward, use 'which' is awkward
d. changes the intended meaning
e. CORRECT!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 08:23
Answer choice E is wrong copied from the source. Instead of "that" should be "which" and in that case the answer would be correct because THAT is only used in restrictive clauses and this is not the case.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 23

Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 09:50
But IMO according to MGMAT SC
that + without comma = essential modifier
which + with comma = non-essential modifier

I still did not got these question

Thriving for CHANGE

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 5

Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 19:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hi gmatpill,

Option E is put incorrectly. The correct one is given on your site. Hope this is an inadvertent error.

Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style music that during the time was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach.
(A) music that during the time was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach
(B) music that was, during the time, prominent primarily because of J. S. Bach’s works
(C) music, which, because of the works of J. S. Bach, were primarily prominent during the time
(D) music, that was prominent primarily because of the works of J. S. Bach during the time
(E) music, which was prominent during the time primarily because of the works of J. S. Bach

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 07:10
i think we can use that and which i nthese condition ..

can you please tell me if i am wrong..

just one more month for exam...

Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 07:12
i think we can use that and which in this condition ..

can you please tell me if i am wrong..

just one more month for exam...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 78

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 07:23
that is a essential modifier and cannot be placed after a comma while which is a non essential modifier that is placed after a comma...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 17:24
A Question. Can prominent primarily & primarily prominent be used in a sentence?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Musicians of the 17th century [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 18:06
crick20002002 wrote:
I will go with E here.

The original sentence uses that without a comma - suggesting that the modifier "that during the time was ..." is an essential one. But from the intent of the original sentence it is clear that we do not need an essential modifier. A non-essential modifier preceded by a comma which modifies the "style of music" => Eliminate A and B.
C has a S-V error. Eliminate.
D changes the meaning/intent.

E it is.

Crick

Hi Is usage of pocession in option E correct ?
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 04:50
(A) music that during the time was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach : THAT during the time ( doesn't make any sense ) = Eliminated

(B) music that was, during the time, prominent primarily because of J. S. Bach’s works : What is ........during the time........ doing in between = Eliminated

(C) music, which, because of the works of J. S. Bach, were primarily prominent during the time : Music ( singular)........... were ( plural ) = Eliminated

Bxn D & E : if we remove the essential / non-essential modifiers & try to check the flow :

(D) music.................was prominent .........................................because of the works of J. S. Bach............... during the time : During the time @ the end doesnt make any sense

(E) music..................was prominent during the time .............. because of the works of J. S. Bach : logical flow

Apart from this : Its easy to write off D based on : Comma THAT ==== Comma should never preceede THAT

Leading to E , my take
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-08-2013

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 17

Re: Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 11:13
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 11:49
Hello mike

In this question can I eliminate A and B because of the restricted use of that?

show your magic ..

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 493

Kudos [?]: 2022 [1] , given: 30

Re: Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stunn3r wrote:
Hello mike

In this question can I eliminate A and B because of the restricted use of that?

show your magic ..

Dear stunn3r

I'm happy to help. :-) Succinctly, this is an atrocious question.

First of all, on a purely factual level, J. S. Bach was not particularly famous as a composer in his lifetime, and he was only 15 years old in the year 1700, so he had composed hardly anything by the end of the 17th century: he really had zero impact on music of the 17th century. He had minimal impact on the 18th century, and started to be a major musical presence in the 19th century. This question was written by someone who has absolutely no factual knowledge of the history of classical music. Of course, strictly speaking, whether the sentence is factually correct has nothing to do with evaluating its grammar, but I point out that the GMAT, in all its official material, maintains impeccable standards of veracity. Sometimes, they have questions about totally made-up scenarios, but when they are discussing historical figures, everything they say is 100% accurate. Therefore, the level of a question's veracity is one subtle test of how well a question is modelling the standards of the GMAT. Here's the question.

(B) music that was, during the time, prominent primarily because of J.S. Bach's works
(C) music, which, because of the works of J.S. Bach, were primarily prominent during the time
(D) music, that was prominent primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach during the time
(E) music, that was prominent during the time primarily because of the works of J.S. Bach

The grammar is also atrocious. In general, there are two kinds of modifiers. The first set contains restrictive modifiers, also called vital modifiers --- I believe MGMAT calls the "mission-critical" modifiers. These NEVER are separated by a comma from the noun they modify. They can begin with the word "that", but on the GMAT, these will never begin with the word "which". The other set, the non-restrictive or non-vital modifiers, are ALWAYS separated by a comma from the noun they modify. These can begin with the word "which", but on the GMAT, these will never begin with the word "that." See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Now, in this sentence, the question of whether the modifier should be vital or non-vital, restrictive vs. non-restrictive, is somewhat open to debate. Technically, we would have to know a little more about the intentions of the author and/or the musical conditions of the time. Is the author making a statement about all that "baroque style music" that happened to be popular, and not other "baroque style music" that was less popular? If that were the case, then it would be vital noun modifier. It seems more likely, though, that the modifier is just making a clarifying statement about all "baroque style music", in which case, it would be a non-vital modifier. The two correct forms would be:
(a) vital = music that ("that" + no comma)
(b) non-vital = music, which ("which" + comma)

Therefore, you can't eliminate (A) & (B) -- they actually have the correct structure, assuming we want to make the modifier vital. What this question has for an OA, using "that" as a non-vital, non-restrictive modifier, would be wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT.

Don't worry, my friend. You don't have a problem. :-) The problem is with the question itself. :-|

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2013, 00:11
Quote:
See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

Now, in this sentence, the question of whether the modifier should be vital or non-vital, restrictive vs. non-restrictive, is somewhat open to debate. Technically, we would have to know a little more about the intentions of the author and/or the musical conditions of the time. Is the author making a statement about all that "baroque style music" that happened to be popular, and not other "baroque style music" that was less popular? If that were the case, then it would be vital noun modifier. It seems more likely, though, that the modifier is just making a clarifying statement about all "baroque style music", in which case, it would be a non-vital modifier. The two correct forms would be:
(a) vital = music that ("that" + no comma)
(b) non-vital = music, which ("which" + comma)

Therefore, you can't eliminate (A) & (B) -- they actually have the correct structure, assuming we want to make the modifier vital. What this question has for an OA, using "that" as a non-vital, non-restrictive modifier, would be wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT.

Don't worry, my friend. You don't have a problem. :-) The problem is with the question itself. :-|

haha .. got it mike .. again, your blog was very helpful .. I understand use of restrictive and non-restrictive but in MGMAT book they call these essential/non-essential modifiers(pg. 88) .. how is that differnt from restrictive/non-restrictive or I should what is the similarity ?

EDIT: you know what after reading that second blog on vital modifiers I got the answer

mikemcgarry wrote:
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Yes, it makes sense

Forget Kudos ... be an altruist

Re: Musicians of the 17th century often enjoyed baroque style   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2013, 00:11