Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Must be true/ Assumption and strengthen questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

Must be true/ Assumption and strengthen questions [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 18:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi,

I'm reading the Critical Reasoning Bible and not sure what the differenc is among the three questions mentioned in the subject.

The way I see it is if the correct answer is A because it strengthens the conclusion, well so it should be true as well and the answer A will be the assumption that the author bases his conclusion on.

not sure if my idea is clear, but I'm really confused....is it possible for some one to provide me with a brief explanation for each one?

Thanks,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Must be true/ Assumption and strengthen questions [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 18:32
MontrealLady wrote:
Hi,

The way I see it is if the correct answer is A because it strengthens the conclusion, well so it should be true as well and the answer A will be the assumption that the author bases his conclusion on.

Thanks,

I think you cant mix up the three questions... If you consider must be true questions, the correct answer choice allows no external information to be used apart what is stated in the premises of the argument. any answer choice that uses external information is bound to be wrong.

In both strengthen and assmumption questions, the correct answer choice takes the liberty of using external information. you dont have to think whether these assumptions are really true or not. assumptions are just assumptions , if they are true , then they are not assumptions. hope this helps..
Re: Must be true/ Assumption and strengthen questions   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2009, 18:32