Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My 740 experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My 740 experience [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 10:09
I took GMAT exam on 26th March and got 740 (98 percentile), breakup is Quant 50 (95 %) and Verbal 40(90 %). It was my first attempt.

I am a little embarrassed that I did not contribute as much as I wanted to this forum. Actually huge pressure at work, where I am managing two projects, and just 1.5 months of preparation time made it difficult for me to post too many responses. Due to that embarrassment, initially I was not planning to post this debriefs. But then I realized that by sharing my experience, I may prove beneficial to some one in this community. Another purpose of my writing this debriefs is to thank all the members of this wonderful community who made it possible for me to get this score. I used this forum mainly for math section, but I found other sections also very valuable.

About my preparation, I prepared from:

1) OG 11th edition
2) Kaplan
3) Manhattan SC book
4) Kaplan 800 (not good)
5) GMAT Club Math forum

For Math I relied totally on GMATClub Math forum's problems. Although I also solved Kaplan's math section but found it too easy. With the expertise I gained in Math from GMAT Club math experience, I was able to complete my quant section 8 minutes before time.

For Verbal I found that SC was my weak area. So Manhattan SC book was of great help to me. For CR, I practiced from 1000 series. For RC I did not do much apart from doing some practice from Kaplan book.

From my experience, I will like to give this advice to all members who are planning to take GMAT

1) What have worked for one person might not work for you. So try to have a plan which is customized for you.

2) Psychological preparation for GMAT actual exam is very important. One week before the actual exam, I started planning for actual exam and learning lessons from my practice tests. You should have plan for energy management, concentration management, how to remain fresh for 3.5 hours etc. For example, I planned that I will wash my face during each break, put cold water over my head during second break, which energy drink I will take etc.

Following was my score in practice tests.

GMATPrep1 - 680
GMATPrep2 - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 600
Kaplan CAT 3 - 570
Kaplan CAT 4 - 660
Kaplan Online - 730

As you will notice that I could not touch 740 during any of my practice tests, but I was able to convert exam day pressure to my advantage by good psychological preparation for actual exam.

3) Solve GMATClub math problems. I found actual exam's quant section very easy due to my experience with GMATClub. Due to that, I was able to conserve some of my energy in quant section and use that saved energy in verbal section.

4) During actual exam, take each question as independent from all other questions. At that time do not worry whether you answered earlier questions correctly or not, whether you are getting easy questions (and hence your score is going down) etc. just focus on one question at a time. GMAT is test of focus and concentration and do any thing you can to remain focused during 3.5 hours of exam.

I want to THANK all members of GMATClub community. Thanks Amardeep Sharma, ricokevin, HongHu, Fig, trivikram... You people rock !!! Any community, which you are members of, will benefit from your presence. Wish you all best of luck in whatever you do and God bless you !!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 11:36
Thanks for your debrief :D :)

Of course.... Excellent score ! Congrats! :D :)

I hope u the best for your next steps... For which, if it's to apply for 2008, u would have plenty of time ! :D :)
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 15:58
Congrats on a great achievement!!! All the best with your app process :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 17:47
Congratulations on your great score!! :-D

740 in first attempt!! :shock:

Surprised to find my name there. :o
I'm very happy to know that my posts were of some help. :-D

Thank you, and I wish you all the best. :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My 740 experience [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2007, 23:14
Hey Nitin,
Cool Score man..

Where do you plan to apply? How much work ex do you have now?

I plan to give my GMAT in July and then start applying for Sept 08 as well.
If you are from Mumbai can we exhange Nos? I would love to talk to you and discuss with you a few things.
I have to also decide if I must join IMS for the preparations and apllication process help.

Need some advice on that as well. Could you be kind enough to call me on 9920090057??

Thanks..
Ash

singalnitin1 wrote:
I took GMAT exam on 26th March and got 740 (98 percentile), breakup is Quant 50 (95 %) and Verbal 40(90 %). It was my first attempt.

I am a little embarrassed that I did not contribute as much as I wanted to this forum. Actually huge pressure at work, where I am managing two projects, and just 1.5 months of preparation time made it difficult for me to post too many responses. Due to that embarrassment, initially I was not planning to post this debriefs. But then I realized that by sharing my experience, I may prove beneficial to some one in this community. Another purpose of my writing this debriefs is to thank all the members of this wonderful community who made it possible for me to get this score. I used this forum mainly for math section, but I found other sections also very valuable.

About my preparation, I prepared from:

1) OG 11th edition
2) Kaplan
3) Manhattan SC book
4) Kaplan 800 (not good)
5) GMAT Club Math forum

For Math I relied totally on GMATClub Math forum's problems. Although I also solved Kaplan's math section but found it too easy. With the expertise I gained in Math from GMAT Club math experience, I was able to complete my quant section 8 minutes before time.

For Verbal I found that SC was my weak area. So Manhattan SC book was of great help to me. For CR, I practiced from 1000 series. For RC I did not do much apart from doing some practice from Kaplan book.

From my experience, I will like to give this advice to all members who are planning to take GMAT

1) What have worked for one person might not work for you. So try to have a plan which is customized for you.

2) Psychological preparation for GMAT actual exam is very important. One week before the actual exam, I started planning for actual exam and learning lessons from my practice tests. You should have plan for energy management, concentration management, how to remain fresh for 3.5 hours etc. For example, I planned that I will wash my face during each break, put cold water over my head during second break, which energy drink I will take etc.

Following was my score in practice tests.

GMATPrep1 - 680
GMATPrep2 - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 600
Kaplan CAT 3 - 570
Kaplan CAT 4 - 660
Kaplan Online - 730

As you will notice that I could not touch 740 during any of my practice tests, but I was able to convert exam day pressure to my advantage by good psychological preparation for actual exam.

3) Solve GMATClub math problems. I found actual exam's quant section very easy due to my experience with GMATClub. Due to that, I was able to conserve some of my energy in quant section and use that saved energy in verbal section.

4) During actual exam, take each question as independent from all other questions. At that time do not worry whether you answered earlier questions correctly or not, whether you are getting easy questions (and hence your score is going down) etc. just focus on one question at a time. GMAT is test of focus and concentration and do any thing you can to remain focused during 3.5 hours of exam.

I want to THANK all members of GMATClub community. Thanks Amardeep Sharma, ricokevin, HongHu, Fig, trivikram... You people rock !!! Any community, which you are members of, will benefit from your presence. Wish you all best of luck in whatever you do and God bless you !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2007, 00:24
Hey Nitin,

Congratulations on your score!!!!
Great post.

Definitely helpful for 700+ aspirants such as myself.

Cheers,
Nupur
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 22:30
Please, clarify:

What was your persantage of the right answers before GMAT (in RC CR SC PS DS sections)???
  [#permalink] 15 May 2007, 22:30