Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Acads are Low

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
My Acads are Low [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 16:02
Hi,
I am a software professional around 5yrs of work experience.My undergraduate degree(Non US) is from Elecrical Engineering back ground so do my masters here in US in a 3rd Tier University.I am more Interested towards a MBA where i would like to do Consulting with tech and Entrepreneurial Concetration which will help launch myself a Consulting Startup( as far as my Plan)

My Worry is I donot Have a Big Academic Percentage in my Under Graduate and Graduate Level(MS degree )
My undergraduate Percentage is 68% with a First Class Degree.
My graduate Overall GPA was 2.98 just fall short of 3.0..

1.What are my chances fo getting into Top Schools?
2.what should be the GMAT Score i should be Targetting i.e the min Cutoff range ( say a 7xx will only be the Score not Exact but approx).
3.Does my Work Experience will be Counted?

The Greatest Mistake you can make in Life is Continually be afraid you will make one - Elbert Hubbard

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My Acads are Low [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 20:50
vasanthanand wrote:
Hi,
I am a software professional around 5yrs of work experience.My undergraduate degree(Non US) is from Elecrical Engineering back ground so do my masters here in US in a 3rd Tier University.I am more Interested towards a MBA where i would like to do Consulting with tech and Entrepreneurial Concetration which will help launch myself a Consulting Startup( as far as my Plan)

My Worry is I donot Have a Big Academic Percentage in my Under Graduate and Graduate Level(MS degree )
My undergraduate Percentage is 68% with a First Class Degree.
My graduate Overall GPA was 2.98 just fall short of 3.0..

1.What are my chances fo getting into Top Schools?
2.what should be the GMAT Score i should be Targetting i.e the min Cutoff range ( say a 7xx will only be the Score not Exact but approx).
3.Does my Work Experience will be Counted?

Hi,
I will be really Happy to See a reply..Pls Help me out here your replies will defintely Point me towards a Better Direction how to Overcome my Low Acad Misheavel.

The Greatest Mistake you can make in Life is Continually be afraid you will make one - Elbert Hubbard

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: My Acads are Low [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 11:14
Hi vasanthanand, first off, I'm not real consultant, but I've been following this forum (especially the admission section) so religiously that I feel like I can give some insights.

I don't think a 2.98 will be an automatic rejection; though a 2.98 does fall out of the normal 80% range of top business school. Having said that, you need to consider studying and achieving a score over 700 on GMAT. Without a 700, a 2.98GPA will pretty much throw you right into the rejection pile. Unless you have better than stellar work experiences, I'd hit up those books as soon as possible and aim for nothing lower than a 700.

You should try posting in the AlexMBA forum or Accepted.com forum right above where you posted this. Those folks generally check their individual forums and respond at a pretty fast pace.

Good luck to you!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: My Acads are Low [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 11:21
Hi Vasanthanand,

Every application is evaluated from three perspectives - academic, professional and personal.

In your case, the academic scores are a weakness. In order to compensate, the other components of your application should be as strong as possible. Your GMAT score should be as high as you can get it, with a minimum of low 700s. Not only will this help you to compensate for your low undergraduate and graduate GPA but will allow you to stay in the range for your profile (Indian, engineering background), since the typical Asian engineer scores higher than the average MBA applicant.

Regarding your chance of getting into top schools...

Please click on the Ask My MBA Admit thread for the rest of my evaluation.

Also read the My MBA Admit blog on applicant questions on Low Undergraduate GPA for tips on compensating for low GPA in your application.

At My MBA Admit, we specialize in selecting the right MBA programs for the candidate, including only those attributes and experiences that showcase the best fit and critiquing the resume to be a strong component of your application instead of a list of everything that you have done so far.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further.

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Re: My Acads are Low   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2010, 11:21