Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My apologies if this has already been posted. Mr. Janeck: I

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My apologies if this has already been posted. Mr. Janeck: I [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2005, 10:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
My apologies if this has already been posted.

Mr. Janeck: I don’t believe Stevenson will win the election for governor. Few voters are willing to elect a businessman with no political experience to such a responsible public office.

Ms. Siuzdak: You’re wrong. The experience of running a major corporation is a valuable preparation for the task of running a state government.

M. Siuzdak’s response shows that she has interpreted Mr. Janeck’s remark to imply which of the following?

(A) Mr. Janeck considers Stevenson unqualified for the office of governor.
(B) No candidate without political experience has ever been elected governor of a state.
(C) Mr. Janeck believes that political leadership and business leadership are closely analogous.
(D) A career spent in the pursuit of profit can be an impediment to one’s ability to run a state government fairly.
(E) Voters generally overestimate the value of political experience when selecting a candidate.

Why isn't it C? OA to come...
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2005, 10:56
I think A is the answer. Janeck thinks that political experience is a prerequisite for this particular office.

B is wrong because we're are talking about one candidate.

C is wrong because if Janeck believes that the two are closely related than he would think that the candidate would win the election.

D is really close but when you include fairly at the end it messes up the statement.

E doesn't address the business side of the candidate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2005, 10:59
I'd have to go with A.

Mr. Janeck is really saying he doesn't think VOTERS will consider business experience to be equivalent to political experience. Mr. Janeck never stated that Stevenson was unqualified in his opinion; he was merely observing that many voters might think him unqualified.

But from the way Ms. Siuzdak replies, she seems to have missed Mr. Janeck's point, because her response was aimed at convincing Mr. Jaceck that business experience is relevant for someone running for office. In other words, she's saying that he IS qualified, because of his business experience.

So the answer is A.

C is a 180. Ms. Siuzdak clearly can't believe that Mr. Janeck considers business experience to be the same as political experience, because her response is aimed at convincing him that this is true. She wouldn't be trying to convince him if she thought he already believed it.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2005, 11:04
should be a. if the question was asking about Mr. siuzdak, then c should be the answer.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2005, 11:47
I see how 'A' is the right choice..... but I would have choosen "C" on the test.... :oops:
help me God.
-nakib

hey ya......

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2005, 12:16
OMG, can you all believe that I didn't even see the word "businessman"?! Ahh!! What is happening?!

Thanks for your input, everyone! You guys are so awesome, and funny too. I busted up at the "help me God" line. It helps to know that I'm not alone. =)

OA is A. Great work!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2005, 12:22
Nakib, don't stress. You'll get it. Just hang out here with all of us poor schlubs struggling through the same annoying grammar rules, and we'll work it out somehow.

Anyway I think god's a bit busy these days. Something about wars, droughts, tsunamis and hurricanes, ya know... I doubt he's got much time to worry about our GMAT scores. :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2005, 13:09
coffeeloverfreak wrote:
Nakib, don't stress. You'll get it. Just hang out here with all of us poor schlubs struggling through the same annoying grammar rules, and we'll work it out somehow.

Anyway I think god's a bit busy these days. Something about wars, droughts, tsunamis and hurricanes, ya know... I doubt he's got much time to worry about our GMAT scores. :P
:lol:
  [#permalink] 08 Sep 2005, 13:09