Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Applications

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 75212

My Applications [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 07:25
Hi All

I am new to the site and think that this is a great community. I am wrapping up some applications and want to share the process so that others can learn from my decisions as I have from people on here.

I think that there are probably quite a few people in my shoes. OK GMAT score and shooting for diffucult schools. I initially scored a 670 but believe it or not the Math section skipped a question. ETS is reimbursing me hopefully and I took again after more studying and did significantly worse because of timing issues and other distractions. I was much better prepared but my score plummeted. I am trudging along anyways and am applying to Wharton, Harvard, Dartmouth, Columbia, NYU and McCombs.

It is quite a few schools so I am playing the odds but will redo the process next year with higher Gmat's if I am not successful.

Here is the rest of my history

- Strong academic background with a 3.4 and 3 majors (only issue here is a low Econ grade of a C).

- Very strong 4 year work experience with a big 4 consulting firm.

- Strong recommendations but no legacy at any schools.

- Solid essays that though last minute are high quality - I was a college Div. 1 athlete, have a very unique community service story and have leadership positions at my firm.

So, hopefully I can be a good test case to see if it is possible to squeak in with a lower GMAT history. I really do feel that it is a blemish on my apps but that the rest is solid. I will keep everyone posted and have applied 2nd round to all schools. Good luck to everyone and I look forward to posting my status.

I already have a plan for reapplications beyond a higher GMAT but I will save posting those only if using that plan becomes necessary :-)

Thanks to everyone whos posts have helped me.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 23:24
thanks for sharing you story.
Quote:
I initially scored a 670 but believe it or not the Math section skipped a question. ETS is reimbursing me hopefully
. can you elaborate on this one. it sounds strange i haven't heard of something like that. good luck on your apps'
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2005, 07:32
Sure. It was quite odd and I am still waiting to hear back from ETS. Basically, I was midway through the Math section and I was calculating my time left. The screen literally just switched to the next question. It was very noticable as the question was on graphing and suddenly switched to a Data Sufficiancy. Quite nerve breaking to say the least and I was not happy. It was a new issue to me too but the guy who took my complaint did not seem suprised. I expect their call soon and will keep you posted
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2005, 20:49
thats pretty spooky and may frustrate or confuse many test takers. hope this issue gets resolved to your benefit. let us know how it turns out.
Intern
Intern

an update [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 13:54
Hello all

Just to update, I retook the GMAT after submitting all my apps and got a 740 which I was quite pleased with. However, I already had rejections from Wharton and Columbia in hand. Harvard would not accept the score but Tuick did and I was dinged with a feedback offer. NYU and McCombs both accepted the new score and I can happily report I got interviews at both so I am currently prepping for both.

I had initially started this thread to report on whether I felt a 670 was enough for my schools. This is hard to say now but my gut is that retaking the GMAT significantly contributed to the interview invites. I would definatly encourage people to retake the test if they are not happy with their score after all of the chaos of filling out apps is over. It made a big difference for me.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 18:34
Thanks for the update!

Good luck on the interviews!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: an update [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 06:24
MBAguy2005 wrote:
Hello all

Just to update, I retook the GMAT after submitting all my apps and got a 740 which I was quite pleased with. However, I already had rejections from Wharton and Columbia in hand. Harvard would not accept the score but Tuick did and I was dinged with a feedback offer. NYU and McCombs both accepted the new score and I can happily report I got interviews at both so I am currently prepping for both.

I had initially started this thread to report on whether I felt a 670 was enough for my schools. This is hard to say now but my gut is that retaking the GMAT significantly contributed to the interview invites. I would definatly encourage people to retake the test if they are not happy with their score after all of the chaos of filling out apps is over. It made a big difference for me.

MBAguy2005,

Thanks for the update. Congrat on the progress and please keep us posted. Good luck
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 12:04
Congratulations! I would love to hear an update!

Attain
info@attain-group.com
http://www.attain-group.com

Helpful MBA Links:
http://www.attain-group.com/content/resources.html

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 17:02
Congratulation for your interviews! Please come back and share with us which school you finally attended!

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 27 Apr 2005, 17:02