Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My best friend has recently read in a local newspaper that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
My best friend has recently read in a local newspaper that [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2009, 07:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
My best friend has recently read in a local newspaper that some cars sold at local centers are expensive, while others are less so expensive.

(A) while others are less so expensive
(B) while the others are less so
(C) while others are less so
(D) while the others are less so expensive
(E) while other cars are less so expensive
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Expensive [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2009, 12:00
Hi mates,

At first read I had doubts if "others" can refer to cars or local centers, but clearly it refers to cars

So, IMO C

A and D out: "so" and "expensive" cannot go together
B out: "the" is not needed...
E out: repeating cars again is not needed

OA and Source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Expensive [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2009, 18:48
anyone choose E here?

"others" could mean other cars or other centers, so i choose E

My best friend has recently read in a local newspaper that some cars sold at local centers are expensive, while others are less so expensive.

(A) while others are less so expensive
(B) while the others are less so
(C) while others are less so
(D) while the others are less so expensive
(E) while other cars are less so expensive
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Expensive [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 06:53
I chose E..

Reason: all option had "others" which is a singular and the subject "some cars" refres to plural, hence the reference "Other".

OA Pls
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Expensive [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 07:56
I think there is no hint of change of meaning any where in the sentence. The comparision that is being done here is clearly between expensive cars and not expensive cars

'others' cannot refer back to 'stations' because the sentence begins with "some cars are....while others are....." The object of comparison is always cars

I'll go in with C.But this sentence is very awkward (never heard of such a thing anywhere!)

Cheers,
Unplugged
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Expensive [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 08:42
unplugged wrote:
I think there is no hint of change of meaning any where in the sentence. The comparision that is being done here is clearly between expensive cars and not expensive cars

'others' cannot refer back to 'stations' because the sentence begins with "some cars are....while others are....." The object of comparison is always cars

I'll go in with C.But this sentence is very awkward (never heard of such a thing anywhere!)

Cheers,
Unplugged

I disagree. Unless all the answer choices use the same ambiguous pronoun reference, I take it as a possible error. Meaning is what we understand. I agree logically that we are comparing cars to cars but grammatically it could be both cars/centers. You might say lets plug in centers for others and it does not make sense. Can we plug in or not is the Q? Does it make sense or not is not the Q? Hence I chose E

I agree that its a weird Q though
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Expensive [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 09:57
I agree with your logic but why is the OA D for the below question even though choice E tries to correct the pronoun reference error( I know about will/would error but pronoun reference error is a relatively major one)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,
Unplugged
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Expensive [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 13:19
The sentence itself is bad

See what Ron Purewal said

>>>>>>

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post4371.html

Neither do I, at least for GMAT purposes (meaning I wouldn't object to this sentence if I read it in a newspaper, but I know that the GMAT writers would ax it): 'they' could, technically, refer either to the power stations or to the journalists.

<<<<<<<

I will take that OA with a grain of salt. If we see similar GMAT PREP Q, then I would be really concerned. For now, my strategy is NOT to worry when the pronoun reference that seems ambiguous is in all the answer choices. Essentially saying that its not an issue. Other wise it is an issue. After all the Q quoted was from 1000 series, whose origins are unknown and who knows how it got mucked.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Expensive [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 13:21
icandy wrote:

>>>>>>

Neither do I, at least for GMAT purposes (meaning I wouldn't object to this sentence if I read it in a newspaper, but I know that the GMAT writers would ax it): 'they' could, technically, refer either to the power stations or to the journalists.

<<<<<<<

I will take that OA with a grain of salt. If we see similar GMAT PREP Q, then I would be really concerned. For now, my strategy is NOT to worry when the pronoun reference that seems ambiguous is in all the answer choices. Essentially saying that its not an issue. Other wise it is an issue. After all the Q quoted was from 1000 series, whose origins are unknown and who knows how it got mucked.

IMO,
Answers for many questions from 1000 series are debatable and we shouldn't be worry much about them.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Expensive [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 15:47
I hate this sentence.

I say C.

E is very good outside of the last 3 words, I especially like how it clears up a semi-ambiguous pronoun reference.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Expensive [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 21:31
icandy wrote:

>>>>>>

<<<<<<<

"less so expensive" doesnt sound right. You would simply say less expensive.
in the correct choice, the "expensive" is implied by "so"
Re: SC: Expensive   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2009, 21:31