Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 16:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My challenge to improve Maths

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
My challenge to improve Maths [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2006, 07:55
Hi everybody,

I took GMAT last Friday and I got a nice 660 (Q43 and V39). I'm quite satisfied with it, especially considering that I'm Spanish and I was afraid I couldn't manage with verbal. Anyway, I want to give another try in one month so I have a chance to get into MIT/Berkeley, which are my top universities.

My target is at improving my Maths. I know I can do it. Actually, I panicked in the test and I spent about six minutes trying to solve a 3 variable equation!!! So I guess in the end it's about strenghtening my base of maths, especially in Prob, Permut, Comb and inequalities (for DS). I know that if I feel confident with them I'll improve a few points and that will get me at least a 680-700 (which is my target). So here is my question, does anyone know a good book and/or web with those neeeded basics? I found some webs, but I guees I'm old school and I'd feel like studying with a book.

My prep material has been MGMAT (they have an excellent course if you want a 650, but if you want to score higher than that you need to take its "advanced" courses), KAPLAN800 (Maths too easy), OG, some tests a Taiwanese friends gave to me and, of course, this forum, which is GREAT.

You know, after one month and half studying full time (I came to the US only to prepare for GMAT and TOEFL) I'm really satisfied with my improvement. I studied undergraduate business and I felt that my studies didn't help me at all with GMAt. You know, some people have an engineering background, so they do great in maths and seem to face more difficulties with verbal. On the other hand, some other people have social background, so they can do better at verbal. And me...well... I did some maths at the university, but not too much. And I'm a foreigner! 6 weeks ago I even didn't remember how to substract and completely ignored most of English idioms.

So next month (after finally a deserverd weekend off) it's going to be tough: applications, TOEFL (I take it in two weeks, but I'M NOT WORRIED AT ALL: it's a joke compared to GMAT) and improving GMAT.

Thanks!!! It's great to know that there are some people who have been through the same situation. And right now I'm going to enjoy the few free hours left before tomorrow I begin again with GMAT!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2006, 09:11
gmahn,

quants i really find it very easy.
be conscious while doing, u said u got 43.
u hav great scope for improvement.

start with princeton review, problems will be very easy.
next go with OG math sessions,
then u can try solving the 1000qns,
then if time permits go for kaplan.

" ALL THE BEST " :P
VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2006, 01:25
Have a look at different questions posted by Kevincan in Maths forum. I think, those are types of questions, you should be able solve to hit top 40s.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2006, 05:42
ak_idc wrote:
Have a look at different questions posted by Kevincan in Maths forum. I think, those are types of questions, you should be able solve to hit top 40s.

Couldn't agree more. Might be good to try your hand at the MGMAT challenges before attempting Kevincan's problems because he tends to post very challenging concepts (IMHO).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: My challenge to improve Maths [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 13:44
seems like your subscores are very similar to mine, and i also used MGMAT quant prep. what happened to me was that i didn't pace quant well at all, although i wasn't kicking a dead horse, on a lot of questions i was too slow although i knew the material and felt like i could solve them. on some, i was just plain wrong and should've guessed to move on. i guess keeping track with every 5 questions is important, i didn't realize until 20

also, going thru mgmat chapter by chapter is great, but i felt it's just as important to keep those concepts fresh. on each question i would vaguely remember doing something similar in practice sessions, but wasted too much time trying to recall it, or attempting tedious methods.
Re: My challenge to improve Maths   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2013, 13:44