Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 01:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My chances

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

My chances [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2006, 01:13
Hi,

I would appreciate your insight and feedback on my choice of schools.

Short term Goals : Financial Consultant
Long Term goals : Opening a network of NGOs across various developing countries. One problem I have seen when I opened my own NGO is that this world is full of NGOs but still millions of people don't get basic amnities. I want to open a network of NGOs that can be managed and run like an efficient organization.

My Background :-

GMAT: 740 (Q49 V42)

1. Undergraduate :- Bachelors of Information Technology (Delhi University) GPA - 64% (Topper got 68%)

Vice President of College Computer Society.

2. Work experience

a] Software Engineer, Keane India Ltd (part of Keane Inc. USA) 2003-2006

--> Was working for Schneider Electric North America.
--> Was part of the dedicated team to develop applications for the manufacturing Domain.
--> Received Excellence award for best work in a team in the first year of my job.
--> Was individually handling complex projects worth $250K-$1M.
--> Led small teams of 3-4 members to interact with Schneider plant managers and decide the feasiblity of a project.
--> Was involved in various aspects of Project Management in the projects I led.

International Experience:

--> Worked directly with Schneider Electric Office in Nashville,TN for six months.
--> Was directly responsible to manage the effiecincy of the 10-member team sitting in India.
--> Direct interaction with Schneider employees and managers working in various plants across North America, Mexico and Canada.
--> Managed applications critical to the daily operation of the plants.
--> Led teams to develop applications that could provide a cost advantage to Schneider over its competetiors.

B) Software Engineer, HSBC Software India Ltd. 2006- till date

--> Since I was interested to pursue my MBA in finance. I wanted an exposure to the finance domain. Hence joined HSBC, world's second largest bank.

--> Learned various aspects of technology as is used in big banks spanning in numerous countries.

--> Was directly involved in developing applications for corporate customers of HSBC.

3. Community Experience

--> Opened an NGO with my father in our village.

--> Organized health camps for village people, providing basic health care to needy people and teaching them basic precautions to take against viral disesases.

--> Collaborated with various doctors in major cities to provide free cataract surgery to village people.

--> Currently pursuing finance from Local financial institutions for other projects.

--> Member of Residents Welfare Association. Was responsible for the cultural committee.

I know I am still in the IT Indian pool. But I have some experiences that many pther people won't be having.

Anyways, I have decided to apply to the following schools in Round 1

1) University of Virginia - Darden
2) University of Texas (Austin) - McCombs
3) University of North Carolina - Kenan Flagler.
4) Duke Univeristy
5) Chicago GSB

Round-2
4) CMU Tepper.
5) UCLA Anderson.

Your feedback is much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2006, 09:01
There are a number of applicants with similar backgrounds as your (India / IT) who are applying to b-schools, so you must differentiate yourself. You are probably applying to too many schools and should spend more time focusing. Make sure your recommenders really know what they are doing. Their recommendations should be individualized for your school. Make sure you write really strong essays -- you need to understand what really strong essays look like and not just assume that yours are good enough.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2006, 03:42
Thanks........

I am currently going through your book.

The book is really helping me with structuring the essay in a proper way.
But whats most interesting is how one can use the SAR approach to nearly every situation.

Thanks for all your advice, when are you coming up with an updated version?
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2006, 21:00
Glad to hear that you find it to be helpful. The book came out just a couple years ago and is still highly applicable to the current application environment. With that said Scott and I are looking at coming out with a new edition in a couple more years.

http://www.mbagameplan.com