Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

my chances at H/S/W

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

my chances at H/S/W [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 23:49
Dear All,

I'd appreciate it if you gave me your oppinion on admissions prospects for top schools when I apply this year. My profile is as follows:

White/USA Citizen/Male/29

-3.5 GPA in English & Chinese language from Brown (andover/deerfield/etc. for HS)
-720 GMAT
-6 months at top real estate developer in London (Tishman Speyer, etc.)
-3.5 years at a small/growing private equity real estate firm in Shanghai (small, but the leadership is from top firms including goldman, etc.)
-2.0 years (at appliucation, 2.5+ years at matriculatioon) in asia real estate investments at top middle-east sovereign wealth fund, based in ME, but traveling regularly to asian markets including china/korea/japan and australia
-fluent in mandarin and conversational in cantonese chinese
-extra curriculars: weak point. an athlete, but didn't play for brown, just club/intermural, and not much charity/club work
-pay: high, even by industry standards (300+ all cash, roughly 200 guaranteed)
-recs outlook: exceptionally good (big shot financiers who i worked closely and consider me like a nephew)

General summary: highly international, great work experience, languages, but very bad EC and only "okay" academics/tests (though I am ivy)

trying to get in at H/S/W and "backup" at Columbia, Booth, NW, MIT

Thanks,

Pete
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: my chances at H/S/W [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 04:45
Sounds like a good profile. I don't know enought to tell you about your chances. But give it a shot, submit a strong application. Not much you can do in terms of EC if you're looking to apply now. But the rest sounds good and in your EC focus on the athletics part
Manhattan Review Test Prep & Admissions
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: my chances at H/S/W [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 06:21
Expert's post
Based on what you present here, I would say that you are "competitive" at H/S/W and with a strong application would be "more than competitive". You have to remember that the candidates who are applying to these caliber programs are the best in the world all of whom have amazing credentials so you need to distinguish yourself from the best of the best. To best improve your chances at these programs, I would recommend that you apply R2 and that you really focus on your international career -- as this is one of the experiences that admissions values the most.

The one concern about your candidacy is lack of extracurricular activities/community service. To be direct, it is not as competitive as the candidates who I have seen interviewed/admitted R1. This factor can be slightly diminished if in the essays you can speak about what you will participate in at school and further in your career. While not ideal, I do not view it as a death sentence for the top programs.

As for your backup schools, with a strong application and a good interview, you would be a "extremely competitive" at these schools.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: my chances at H/S/W   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2012, 06:21