Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My chances at Investment banking or consulting firms???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My chances at Investment banking or consulting firms??? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 05:56
Hi everyone, I am currently a prehealth student and my friends introduced me to the world of business and consulting. I recognize that my previous focus and these areas are vastly different. Therefore, I am willing to get every necessary training and education.

I scored 99.2 percentile on Dental Admission Test, which is equivalent to Harvard D school average and higher than Columbia D school. but unfortunately, I don't want to be a dentist cause now I think that the career is like a highly trained technician. I want to be constantly challenged with new projects and work with many different people.

I went to a state university (Top 50 in US News) with a full-ride, had Biochemistry major and Business administration minor and graduated Summa Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.76. My non-science GPA is 3.98 which is mainly composed of business courses. I made As in accounting, finance, business law, management, and marketing.

For extracurriculars, I worked at pharmacology lab for 2 years, got several authorships in publications, won $4,000 scholarship for working on a mentored project, wrote a senior thesis, and presented several posters. I was the president of a community service club and led members to participate in many outreach activities. I volunteered at homeless clinic for 3 years, hospice for 2 years, and several different area in hospitals for nearly 500 hours. I also volunteered with Big Brothers and Big Sisters for 1 year and mentored an underprivileged child who was very behind in studies and made him one of top students.

I am currently working at National Institutes of Health as a research fellow and am about to get several authorships at top journals like Science and Nature. I am also working on an independent project of my own and almost done with collecting necessary data and am about to start working on my manuscript.

I do feel that my activities are very unrelated to consulting realm, so do you guys think I should get masters in IT? or MBA??

After completing every training or education I need to do, do I have chances at top tier consulting companies like Mackinsey or a second tier like Accenture? or any other IB firms??
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Accounting (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: My chances at Investment banking or consulting firms??? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 06:07
I think you have great chances to reach your goals and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.. You have an amazing GPA and great post college experiences.. In my opinion it really comes down to your GMAT score.. If you can score high you definitely have a shot at top 5 business schools which will open doors for you to get into consulting and investment bank.. Reach for the stars my friend!

Best of luck

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: My chances at Investment banking or consulting firms??? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 06:45
I think an MBA would be the ideal next step in your career. Also, given your science background, I believe that opportunities for interesting career opportunities would be abundant.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My chances at Investment banking or consulting firms??? [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2013, 10:51
clubwestpua wrote:
Hi everyone, I am currently a prehealth student and my friends introduced me to the world of business and consulting. I recognize that my previous focus and these areas are vastly different. Therefore, I am willing to get every necessary training and education.

I scored 99.2 percentile on Dental Admission Test, which is equivalent to Harvard D school average and higher than Columbia D school. but unfortunately, I don't want to be a dentist cause now I think that the career is like a highly trained technician. I want to be constantly challenged with new projects and work with many different people.

I went to a state university (Top 50 in US News) with a full-ride, had Biochemistry major and Business administration minor and graduated Summa Cum Laude with a GPA of 3.76. My non-science GPA is 3.98 which is mainly composed of business courses. I made As in accounting, finance, business law, management, and marketing.

For extracurriculars, I worked at pharmacology lab for 2 years, got several authorships in publications, won $4,000 scholarship for working on a mentored project, wrote a senior thesis, and presented several posters. I was the president of a community service club and led members to participate in many outreach activities. I volunteered at homeless clinic for 3 years, hospice for 2 years, and several different area in hospitals for nearly 500 hours. I also volunteered with Big Brothers and Big Sisters for 1 year and mentored an underprivileged child who was very behind in studies and made him one of top students.

I am currently working at National Institutes of Health as a research fellow and am about to get several authorships at top journals like Science and Nature. I am also working on an independent project of my own and almost done with collecting necessary data and am about to start working on my manuscript.

I do feel that my activities are very unrelated to consulting realm, so do you guys think I should get masters in IT? or MBA??

After completing every training or education I need to do, do I have chances at top tier consulting companies like Mackinsey or a second tier like Accenture? or any other IB firms??

Based on what you've shared including your academic record but more because of your extracurricular achievements - I believe you have a good shot at getting into MBB, even without an MBA (some offices also hire grads without Masters to start a more junior level). Your academic background in health should not be a handicap for consulting.

Not so sure about IB - I reckon (and purely a guess) they require a decent focus on finance / math
Re: My chances at Investment banking or consulting firms???   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2013, 10:51