Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Chances for Part-time MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My Chances for Part-time MBA? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2006, 09:56
Hi,

I am a 35yr old male originally from India. Have been working in Multinational Pharma cos. for 10 yrs. Last 7 yrs have been in the US. I work on the analysis of clinical data and use a lot of statistics. Currently, I am in a Sr. programmer role. Also, I have received a couple of excellence awards at work and will be able to get good recommendations.

I have two masters degrees from top ranked universties in India with good GPAs.

I gave GMAT in Dec'05 and Feb'06 and scored 650 (q49,v30) and 630 (q45,v31) respectively. (I think I can score higher if I give it again though !)

Please let me know the following:
1. What are my chances of getting into a top Part-time MBA program especially: NYU ?
2. Should I take GMAT again to improve my chances?
3. Anything else I could do to improve my chances?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: My Chances for Part-time MBA? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2006, 15:48
Expert's post
nothingless wrote:
Hi,

I am a 35yr old male originally from India. Have been working in Multinational Pharma cos. for 10 yrs. Last 7 yrs have been in the US. I work on the analysis of clinical data and use a lot of statistics. Currently, I am in a Sr. programmer role. Also, I have received a couple of excellence awards at work and will be able to get good recommendations.

I have two masters degrees from top ranked universties in India with good GPAs.

I gave GMAT in Dec'05 and Feb'06 and scored 650 (q49,v30) and 630 (q45,v31) respectively. (I think I can score higher if I give it again though !)

Please let me know the following:
1. What are my chances of getting into a top Part-time MBA program especially: NYU ?
2. Should I take GMAT again to improve my chances?
3. Anything else I could do to improve my chances?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

To answer your questions:

1) If you raise your GMAT, good.
2) Yes.
3) If you don't have community service, try to involve yourself in something. Make sure you have excellent reasons for wanting a part time MBA and for getting it from STern.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2006, 16:16
Thank you, Linda. Your advice, as usual, is very valuable.
At GMAT 650 and my profile, I guess, it is not worth the time to apply, in my case. I am thinking of taking the GMAT again next month now.
Thanks
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2006, 16:27
Expert's post
nothingless wrote:
Thank you, Linda. Your advice, as usual, is very valuable.
At GMAT 650 and my profile, I guess, it is not worth the time to apply, in my case. I am thinking of taking the GMAT again next month now.
Thanks

You're welcome. Please note that my comments were directed primarily to Stern's part-time program.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2006, 12:29
Hi Paul/Linda,

I did take GMAT again a couple of weeks back. This time I managed 680 (q48, v35) . Can you help me rate my chances again? I am planning to volunteer at a soup kitchen and looking into some administrative work at another non profit org.

Also, there are a couple of other issues that I did not mentions the last time, but they might be important for adcoms:

1. I do have a 8 month gap in my work history (about 7 yrs back). I actually immigrated to the US and wanted to work in a Biochemical Lab. in a Pharma co. but soon found that my training/ experience was not very marketable here. So I started developing my software skills and landed a consulting job. It has been smooth and great except for that little bump.

2. In my current role as a senior programmer, I do not have a 8-10 member team to manage. I have managed some critical projects but with a maximum of only 2 people on my team. Is that enough?

With these additional details could you answer the following questions:
1. My chances for part-time at NYU & Chicago.
2. Can you suggest any other good schools that I should consider.
3. I may be getting a good job offer soon and may accept that offer. Now, I live and work in NJ. Does it mean that if I enroll in a part-time program, say in Chicago, I have to fly there 2-3 times a month. What do people do in such cases?
4. My long term goal is to set-up a specific type of knowledge based company. Do I need to provide some details of this idea on the essays?
5. Also, I found a current student’s contact information at that programs website. Is it acceptable to contact this person to get some information about the program?

Thanks for all you help!
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2006, 20:31
Expert's post
nothingless wrote:
Hi Paul/Linda,

I did take GMAT again a couple of weeks back. This time I managed 680 (q48, v35) . Can you help me rate my chances again? I am planning to volunteer at a soup kitchen and looking into some administrative work at another non profit org.

Also, there are a couple of other issues that I did not mentions the last time, but they might be important for adcoms:

1. I do have a 8 month gap in my work history (about 7 yrs back). I actually immigrated to the US and wanted to work in a Biochemical Lab. in a Pharma co. but soon found that my training/ experience was not very marketable here. So I started developing my software skills and landed a consulting job. It has been smooth and great except for that little bump.

2. In my current role as a senior programmer, I do not have a 8-10 member team to manage. I have managed some critical projects but with a maximum of only 2 people on my team. Is that enough?

With these additional details could you answer the following questions:
1. My chances for part-time at NYU & Chicago.
2. Can you suggest any other good schools that I should consider.
3. I may be getting a good job offer soon and may accept that offer. Now, I live and work in NJ. Does it mean that if I enroll in a part-time program, say in Chicago, I have to fly there 2-3 times a month. What do people do in such cases?
4. My long term goal is to set-up a specific type of knowledge based company. Do I need to provide some details of this idea on the essays?
5. Also, I found a current student’s contact information at that programs website. Is it acceptable to contact this person to get some information about the program?

Thanks for all you help!

Nothingless,

My apologies for the delay in responding. Congratulations on your improved GMAT. It makes a big difference. Both NYU and Chicago are now "doable" for you. You might also consider applying to Kellogg`s part-time program and Michigan`s. Both have entrepreneurship concentrations. (Haas`s part-time program would be ideal in this respect too, except for its distance from you.)

Regarding your questions, your employment gap is probably of minimal importance because it was so long ago, assuming that you were not laid off "for cause" and that you made productive use of the 8-month gap. I think leadership of 2-person teams is satisfactory--the size of the team is not as important as the extent to which team leadership is an integral and regular part of your responsibilities. At the same time, if you could gain team leadership experience in your community or extracurricular life you could strengthen your leadershp profile. In this respect, your reference to working at a soup kitchen, though commendable, is sort of a `low-value` community activity. Much, much more effective would be a leadership (e.g., board membership) position with a community organization.

Regarding the travel required for part-time programs, it is not uncommon for part-timers to fly cross-country or even across oceans to earn a part-time MBA. You have to ask yourself whether you can swing it and whether the MBA means that much to you.

Yes, you should be as detailed about your long-term goals as you can be in your essays. Not only is it "acceptable" to contact a current student, it is in my opinion an essential part of the application process. Contact as many as you can and mention their comments in your essays.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2006, 06:00
Hi Paul,
Sorry for the delay in acknowledging (I was out of country). I really appreciate your detailed reply. It is not only very informative but also very encouraging.
I will let you know how things go.

Thanks a lot.
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2006, 03:23
Expert's post
nothingless wrote:
Hi Paul,
Sorry for the delay in acknowledging (I was out of country). I really appreciate your detailed reply. It is not only very informative but also very encouraging.
I will let you know how things go.

Thanks a lot.

You're welcome.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2006, 05:08
Dont be disappointed by low GMAT. Just apply. I know folks who got into HBS with relatively low GMAT.

Just apply, there is NO harm! Atleast u will not regret that u have not applied.