Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My chances of a PhD admit? :?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My chances of a PhD admit? :? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2004, 15:11
Hi there. I have several questions about my chances of an admit from a decent university for a PhD with the profile I currently possess.
Firstly, my drawbacks are :
(a) Zero Work Experience. (Unless they count that, which is gained as a Research Assistant and a Teaching Assistant)
(b) Both my undergrad and grad majors were in Engineering. But the business major I am interested in is HRM and Organizational Behavior.

I've been in academics ever since I finished high school; first a bachelors degree, and then directly into graduate school for my masters. Therefore, I have no "Real World" experience. But I am interested in the academic line anyway.

Now, I want very badly to do my PhD in Business Adminstration.
I'll be taking the GMAT in October. Also my undergrad and grad GPA's are 3.6 and 3.7 respectively. I have a few conference papers and journal papers. I can get 3 good recommendations too.
Can anyone suggest any good colleges where I could apply and get considered at-the-very-least and not rejected outright. Are there any decent places where I could get admission? I have a 2210 on the GRE. Would that help in any way in my admission?

Of course, I still need to give the GMAT... but I figured that if I were to start the process early (the deadlines are in December) for Fall 05, it would be better.

Please do suggest any options I have.
Thanks very much,
Ad.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2004, 10:13
Hi Ad

Your background does not suggest anything 'out of sync' for a PhD, your GPA also seems to be ok. The question the Adcomms will ask is "Why PhD" when they see your app. Therefore the most important parts will be your SOP and your recos which should reflect how HRM is important for you. From the background you have given, I cannot make that link, but I do not have full facts.

Yes GMAT is important. Use this club. GRE scores are not used by most univs for HR PhD admissions.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thanks Anupag [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2004, 16:05
Hi Anupag, thank you very much for replying to my query. I've been looking into at all the different kinds of management fields, and I find myself most interested in HRM. I know that my background doesn't give a "link" to HRM. So, should I join some other management field and take HRM as a minor? If not HRM, then my second choice would be Management Science( I am assuming it includes Operations Research! I love OR!)

So far, I haven't really thought about what to write on my SOP, apart from my keen interest in HRM. Do you have any pointers for me for that? Also, what points should my reccos stress upon? Because all my reccos will be either from Electrical Engineering or Mathematics Professors.

I am so glad that there is a GMAT club online now. I had so many questions and nobody to answer them before I knew about this club. I hope I can reach the score I'm aiming for.

Thanks,
Ad
Thanks Anupag   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2004, 16:05