Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My chances of getting into Top10 MBA school in USA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My chances of getting into Top10 MBA school in USA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 15:56
Guys,
please look at my profile below and give me honest suggestion if I can get into top 10 MBA programs in US.

1. Bachelor of Engineering (BE) in Comp Sc. degree from not so well known college in India with 75% aggregate score
2. Working in software industry since 2003 (after BE)
3. Not given GMAT yet, studying for the same.

Other than the fact that I am now working for a top software company, there is nothing steller in my profile.
1. No community work to showcase
2. No experience managing people
3. Have not won any significant awards (have just done my job)
4. Have not published any papers

I am a kind of a guy that did BE in CSE just because it had better job prospects in India. After BE got a job and got money that all of a sudden seemed like too much because of the fact that when I was in college Rs. 10 was a lot of money and it used to remain in pocket for weeks.

So with more money to spend than I am actually used to I did not do anything beyond my job all these years. (yeah enjoyed that money in trips with friends to places like Goa, trek to Himalaya, etc, etc)

Now I am thinking of MBA from a good college, is there anyway at all I stand a chance?

By the way you guys might suggest that give GMAT first, I want to say that yes I will do it and planning very soon, in the meantime, do ordinary folks like me get into HBS/Chicago/Wharton/Sloan/Stanford/etc/etc...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: My chances of getting into Top10 MBA school in USA [#permalink] New post 02 May 2011, 20:56
To be frank, with an ordinary GMAT 680-700, you'd probably have a hard time finding yourself into a top 10 school. Top 10 school looks for more than just academics and GMAT score, but they also focus heavily on the type of leadership experience that applicants may have. Applicants who interview and get accepted into a top 10 school will have good to awesome grade, good to awesome GMAT score, and truly are difference makers, both in and outside of the workplace.

However, with that said, I'm sure there are still going to be people who are not as 'significant' as the type of persons I've described get into a top b-school (there are always exceptions in life, isn't there?) But we need to bank on more facts than prayers, more evidence to succeed than simple luck. What you want to do right now is to get as good of a GMAT score as you possibly can achieve. Also find ways to participate more at work and outside of work. In the meantime, research on more schools - schools in the top 10-20 range. At the end of the day, it will probably benefit you to stick a few schools in the 10-20 range as they would be a bit easier to get into (but could still help you get to where you want to go).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: My chances of getting into Top10 MBA school in USA [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 02:51
Hello,

Unfortunately, given what you have described it seems like it will be tough for you get into the top 10 MBA schools. Since most Indian applicants tend to be from engineering it is important to differentiate yourself from them. It is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace, did you focus on areas that were quite unique in your field etc.
I would suggest that perhaps you compare your profile with other people in your industry. Sometimes, I find that people underestimate their background so it would be a good idea to assess your profile with others in your industry and see what sets you apart.

For any queries please feel free to pm me.

Good Luck!

AppCaddy wrote:
Guys,
please look at my profile below and give me honest suggestion if I can get into top 10 MBA programs in US.

1. Bachelor of Engineering (BE) in Comp Sc. degree from not so well known college in India with 75% aggregate score
2. Working in software industry since 2003 (after BE)
3. Not given GMAT yet, studying for the same.

Other than the fact that I am now working for a top software company, there is nothing steller in my profile.
1. No community work to showcase
2. No experience managing people
3. Have not won any significant awards (have just done my job)
4. Have not published any papers

I am a kind of a guy that did BE in CSE just because it had better job prospects in India. After BE got a job and got money that all of a sudden seemed like too much because of the fact that when I was in college Rs. 10 was a lot of money and it used to remain in pocket for weeks.

So with more money to spend than I am actually used to I did not do anything beyond my job all these years. (yeah enjoyed that money in trips with friends to places like Goa, trek to Himalaya, etc, etc)

Now I am thinking of MBA from a good college, is there anyway at all I stand a chance?

By the way you guys might suggest that give GMAT first, I want to say that yes I will do it and planning very soon, in the meantime, do ordinary folks like me get into HBS/Chicago/Wharton/Sloan/Stanford/etc/etc...

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Re: My chances of getting into Top10 MBA school in USA   [#permalink] 18 May 2011, 02:51