Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My debrief - 112

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

My debrief - 112 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 19:26
Hi guys,

I just received my TOEFL scores and would like to share my experience with the test which may be helpful for my successors. This forum helped me a lot, so I also hope to give smth. back by writing this post. This will be a brief post, but if you have any questions just ask me and I will try to answer them.

1. Things I read + books I used: The everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-toefl-post + some forum posts discussing areas which I regarded to be my weaknesses
The Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT + Barron's TOEFL iBT 12Ed
2. Time I spent on preparation: 1 week. However, I was preparing for the GMAT beforehand, so you may see this as an additional preparation time.
3. Most important things you have to consider:
- find out what your weakness(es) is/are and work on them: First, I had problems with the speaking section. So I spent most of my time focussing on this section. It doesn't make any sense trying to perfect your strenghts, since you can't get more than 30 points per section.
- don't focus too much on any specific content, but try to rather familiarize yourself with the test structur: Don't waste too much time on trying to answer any question in the books you bought to prepare for the test. Rather try to get an overview of the overall concepts needed and the structur of the test.
- you don't need any extraordinary skills to get a good result: Neither am I a native-speaker, nor am I considering myself being extraordinary smart. In fact, I think that being too creative may harm your test performance, since it's a standardized test.
- always consider the time pressure and work on your stamina
- YOUR STRUCTUR IS (ALWAYS) MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR CONTENT: I deeply believe that this impression is not subjective but rather a fact.Whether you see this as an advantage or a dissadavantage, doesn't matter. The important takeawy is that you should be aware of this fact and use it to your advantage. Always try to structure your response (using a clear introduction and (most of the time) a brief conclusion, introducing your ideas with such words as "first", "however", "furthermore"...)

I wish you all the best for your TOEFL.

Best,
saitek
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: My debrief - 112 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2013, 00:21
Do you get a review of your test when you got your result?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: My debrief - 112 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 14:27
Pandrey wrote:
Do you get a review of your test when you got your result?

Yap
Re: My debrief - 112   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2013, 14:27