Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My diagnostic test story

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
My diagnostic test story [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 08:14
After spending quite a few days at gmat club, one thing was quite sure in my mind that I will have to kick off my preparation asap. So after taking the decisions regarding my prep resources, I decided to take the diagnostic tests. My verbal preparation is nill to date as I never started to work on it. Quant preparation is what I am doing for the last two months but that is just not perfect way of preparation, i.e to search the material and have some looks during office timings and solved some problems from some books. It was, when I joined gmat club, revealed that whatever I have done is nothing, simply peanuts.

So I searched the net and found one free diagnostic test and that was crack-the-gmat's one. I will not go in details of that as I found later on this forum that that is bad option to have. Any how my score was 550 (Q 34, V 22).

Then I rgistered for MGMAT and took the free online test as diagnostic test. It took almost 4 hours to complete and with closed doors and off cell phone, I tried to create that particular day's atmosphere.

It was tense, I had no idea that what sort of quant questions are appearing. With twenty minutes remaining and 15 questions still to attempt, I was all down and was thinking that how the hell you guys score 700+. My last seven questions were guess. I was ashamed of myself by taking this dammn thing nonseriously. Then came verbal, and surprisingly I was comfortable with it (though I never studied verbal portion). Verbal section was completed in time as only last two answers were guess. :)

With too much difficulty, I completed the test and this 4 hour period. With broken heart checked the result and this was ..... :-D 470 ( Q 25, V31).

This was truly an eye opening excercise for me. I dont know the quant techniques specially the number properties, permutations etc , while verbal was a good first experience.

I have finalized my resources for preparation and have shared with you people as well, no comment yet form your side but waiting for your comments. final-decision-taken-need-your-views-80505.html

So this was my diagnostic test experience and hopefully it will be beneficial for those who are not considering this dammn thing challenging. :)

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: My diagnostic test story [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2009, 10:04
Well, some test takers find MGMAT CATs useful for practice but I don't like them. Even those who like them for practice ould agree that MGMAT CATs are an awful diagnostic tool.

If you want to gauge your performance, you have to take GMATPrep or at least Power Prep. Your real exam score could have easily been significantly above those 470 from MGMAT. We should know more when you submit Gprep or PowerPrep score.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My diagnostic test story [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 16:28
From my limited experience - the Manhattan GMAT CATs are slightly harder than the real thing. You're definitely within 50 points of that score. But it's easy to improve from 400 or 500. Good luck.
Re: My diagnostic test story   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2009, 16:28