Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pelihu,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, you are right, I am an Indian. I am presently in the US. I have good experience consulting with various blue chip clients and can also get some good recommendations. However, I agree with you that my GMAT score needs to be more than this to get admission into good schools.

I have decided to give GMAT another try. I am actually changing my goal from 700 to 750. I am going to prep hard and make this happen. If I score 750, I think I will have a good chance of getting into one of the schools of my choice.

I always felt my quant is good and can score 49/50. I have to concentrate on my verbal.

As I did in my last attempt I am going to use the GMAT site as much as possible and I am confident that I will make it happen.

Thanks again for your feedback. I hope I will score higher next time.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
One quick question Pelihu. How is the demographic decided? What if somone is an Indian, but kinda settled in the US. (May be has a green card). Would he be pooled with Indian group or the US group?

I still don't have my GC but hope to get it soon. If I get it, will it make any difference? Do you know?

Thanks
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have heard that if you are a US citizen or PR you will not be grouped with the Indian demographic from India. The bad news is that the Indian ethnicity demographic from the US is very strong as well, and is overloaded with engineering/IT/software types.

I think you are making the smart choice with the GMAT. Getting into a top school will open up many more opportunities for you down the road (as I'm sure you know as you are targeting top 5), and a higher GMAT score will be an important part of the puzzle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Off topic a bit, but if they are considering ethnicity in the admissions, could't that be considered a violation of EO? At least in PhD programs, some apps don't even show your age to help curb the possibility of age descrimination being a deciding factor... but maybe all schools are different on this.

Pelihu is a lawyer I gather and might be qualified to answer ...

thanks!
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
josh478 wrote:
Off topic a bit, but if they are considering ethnicity in the admissions, could't that be considered a violation of EO? At least in PhD programs, some apps don't even show your age to help curb the possibility of age descrimination being a deciding factor... but maybe all schools are different on this.

thanks!

Well, the Bakke decision from the Supreme Court still controls. Basically, they the Court in that case was split, and what some would argue was the least persuasive argument in the case prevailed, because the other 8 members canceled each other out. To summarize, the Court ruled that people could not be admitted or denied based on race, however race could be one factor in the admissions process.

There are two more recent cases on the subject that made it to the Supreme Court, one involving the Michigan Law School, and one involving the Michigan Undergrad (I was at Michigan Law School when these cases were launched). The cases were separate, but were considered together by the Court. The Court did not make new law in these cases, the simply interpreted the admissions policies based on the Bakke decision.

They deemed the admissions process for Michigan Undergrad to be a violation of the earlier ruling. Michigan used race as one of many factors in admissions, (Michigan used a point system), but the points assigned to underrepresented minorities was greater than the weight given to GPAs & SATs and everything else put together. The Court ruled that this policy was not narrowly construed under their Bakke ruling. Michigan was forced to revamp their policy - I do not know how it currently stands.

The admissions policy for Michigan Law School was challenged at the same time, and their process was upheld even though there was literally no crossover between the scores of admitted student populations of Whites and Asians (few Indians apply to law school) and the scores of underrepresented minorities. In other words, the lowest GPA/GMAT combo for White/Asian that year (I'm just recalling off the to of my head) was something like 3.2/163 or something. There were no minorities applicants that exceeded this lowest score. The Supreme Court ruled that the law school policy was narrowly construed and was the only way to meet a constitutionally acceptable goal.

That's a very very brief summary of a subject that just begs for hours of discussion.

There was also another decision that affected the UC school system (strangely, I was at UCLA when this policy went into effect). The details are really vague, but if I recall, this was an action taken by the UC Regents and was not a court mandated change, but the UC system disallowed the use of race entirely. The very next year, schools with traditionally very high minority representations (most schools in California do) went to less than 5% minority. At the same time, the Asian populations jumped to over 50%. The most drastic changes (not surprisingly) were at UCLA and Berkeley, where for years (probably decades) Asians were severely punished for their ethnicity.

In any case, it's no fun being on the wrong end (as I was for college and law school), but I believe most schools policies are constitutionally valid.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
josh478 wrote:

thanks!

Well, the Bakke decision from the Supreme Court still controls. Basically, they the Court in that case was split, and what some would argue was the least persuasive argument in the case prevailed, because the other 8 members canceled each other out. To summarize, the Court ruled that people could not be admitted or denied based on race, however race could be one factor in the admissions process.

There are two more recent cases on the subject that made it to the Supreme Court, one involving the Michigan Law School, and one involving the Michigan Undergrad (I was at Michigan Law School when these cases were launched). The cases were separate, but were considered together by the Court. The Court did not make new law in these cases, the simply interpreted the admissions policies based on the Bakke decision.

They deemed the admissions process for Michigan Undergrad to be a violation of the earlier ruling. Michigan used race as one of many factors in admissions, (Michigan used a point system), but the points assigned to underrepresented minorities was greater than the weight given to GPAs & SATs and everything else put together. The Court ruled that this policy was not narrowly construed under their Bakke ruling. Michigan was forced to revamp their policy - I do not know how it currently stands.

The admissions policy for Michigan Law School was challenged at the same time, and their process was upheld even though there was literally no crossover between the scores of admitted student populations of Whites and Asians (few Indians apply to law school) and the scores of underrepresented minorities. In other words, the lowest GPA/GMAT combo for White/Asian that year (I'm just recalling off the to of my head) was something like 3.2/163 or something. There were no minorities applicants that exceeded this lowest score. The Supreme Court ruled that the law school policy was narrowly construed and was the only way to meet a constitutionally acceptable goal.

That's a very very brief summary of a subject that just begs for hours of discussion.

There was also another decision that affected the UC school system (strangely, I was at UCLA when this policy went into effect). The details are really vague, but if I recall, this was an action taken by the UC Regents and was not a court mandated change, but the UC system disallowed the use of race entirely. The very next year, schools with traditionally very high minority representations (most schools in California do) went to less than 5% minority. At the same time, the Asian populations jumped to over 50%. The most drastic changes (not surprisingly) were at UCLA and Berkeley, where for years (probably decades) Asians were severely punished for their ethnicity.

In any case, it's no fun being on the wrong end (as I was for college and law school), but I believe most schools policies are constitutionally valid.

I could have never studied law. I'm glad we have people as devoted to it as u Pelihu.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts