Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 11:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Experience 630(48Q,28V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

My Experience 630(48Q,28V) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 18:05
well... today was my day.

I am not an active participant in the club, but I have gone through a lot of discussions that were very useful to me. Thanks for those who helped me in clarifying some of the concepts.

I ended up with 48Q,28V(630). Though my target is 700+, based on my mental condition just before the test, I expected atleast 670-680, but was not lucky enough.

Just for those who are going to take the test:
-- Quantitative is exactly like the GMATPrep. Not hard but each question involves a bit logic. A lot of number property questions. Couple of easy probability. Also, some of the questions involve computations. So, we really need to practice to do the question in 2 minutes.

--Verbal. I felt sentence correction questions a bit hard. There were few questions for which answers were very close(I remember one question testing on 'focus on economics' vs focus in economics' ). Though I was hitting 80-90% on most of the practice questions, I was not sure why I felt so hard in GMAT. I felt CR questions very straight forward. First RC(short) & last RC(long)'s were easy. I had no clue on what were presented on 2nd & 3rd RCs[I think that is when I lost my score in Verbal](btw, there was a RC on something to do with Pakistan in 1530s-- i don't even remember the topic now).

My Story:

I did a stupid mistake of reviewing grammer points and going through AWA topics etc the day before the test. I think that had a huge impact on my verbal score. Though I was able to concentrate during Quant section, I had no clue what I was doing during the verbal, especially, in the first 10 questions[which we all know is very important]. I really felt that my eyes and brain were not connecting enough to comprehend the content. May be that is why I felt verbal was hard.

I am planning to take the test one more time:-

I want to focus especially on the below:
-- Improve the grammar
I think I need to start with the basics before attempting GMAT SCs. Though I was able to answer in many occasions during the practice, I had never felt confident in choosing the right answer. I really appreciate if anyone has any suggestion on some good grammar books/online resources

-- Improve RC.
Planning to practice 1000RC.

Ofcourse, I need to keep up with my Quantitative & CR skills.
I welcome any suggestions.

All the best for those who are planning to take the test. Keep your minds cool before the test.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 18:41
I met with RC on Indian writer whose work is political literature
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 20:55
keep your head up man! 48Q is solid. If you can duplicate that and boost verbal to ~36-38, you are gold.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: My Experience 630(48Q,28V) [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 05:21
you are in good track. 630 in first shot is a good score. prepare for the next shot for 700+. focus on verbal.

good luck........

Last edited by Professor on 15 Aug 2006, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 06:59
I had that Indian writer question too! Something about a story written around the turn of the last century, where it was a microcosm of Indian political life, and she was influenced or possibly copied Emily Bronte and Jane Austen?

That was my longest RC on the real test. The only confusing part was the use of all of the Hindi words...thought I got that passage correct...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 07:05
Eventhough I'm not so sure about the answer but after that Indian lady RC
I met with boldface CR so I assume that I'm still on right track at that point
but overall score still be very low. I might answer second half nearly all wrong
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 07:16
630 is great!!! don't be disappointed!!! and of course, more improvement is possible should you go for it!

Good luck and CONGRATS!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 01:53
rkatl
i am in the same boat as yours..same Q+V combo and same score of 630!..same feeling of numbness in the middle of the test :(

re-taking it on 4th Sep.

All the best to you..
  [#permalink] 22 Aug 2006, 01:53