Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My experience is just starting... and it sucks.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 6

CAT Tests
My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 19:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there,

My application experience is just getting started so I wanted to post something, if nothing else, to keep myself sane. I plan to follow-up with some updates and, hopefully, this can provide a real-time view into the mind of a dark horse candidate.

I have a very slim chance at getting accepted to even a half-decent program. Plain and simple. This is primarily because of my horrific GPA. No, I'm not talking about some of the GPAs I see on here that people think are bad (I think the lowest I've seen is 2.4). I'm talking about 2.2. Yep, you read that correctly: the double deuce. :shock: And no, I wasn't a varsity athlete, I wasn't curing cancer in my spare time, I wasn't volunteering at the local shelter, and I wasn't serving my country. I was being a kid in college who wasn't dumb by any means. I just didn't apply myself - that's the whole story. I found I could skate by with Cs in a very difficult major without doing any of the homework/reading. I got in trouble with the school and logged a D and an F freshman year, was put on school probation that same year, and although I quieted down socially, my grades limped along until I graduated. No upward trend to be seen. I ended up wasting an incredible opportunity at a very good school for no other reason than just deciding not to apply myself. I literally just wanted to play intramural sports and hang out with friends. Consequently, it is, without a doubt, the most embarrassing and regrettable period in my life.

Now, I'm 29, and have some solid work experience in finance; it's not i-banking or consulting, unfortunately, but it's good enough to show that I'm very capable. Everyone I work with has MBAs from the top schools and I've been dodging the questions of "so, when are you going back to school?" because I think they would have a stroke if I told them the truth: "Well, believe it or not, boss, my GPA at _______ College was 2.2 so I don't think it's even worth the application fee... Sir?... SIR!?! Someone call an ambulance!"

Anyway, I just needed to get this out of my head. I've never told anyone exactly how low my GPA was, not even my parents. You, dear reader, are the first person other than myself to know of this so consider yourself lucky. I've never lied about it but I've said "under 3.0" in more interviews than I care to admit. I've managed to get this far without confronting my 2.2 but now I need to face it straight up for the applications. A preliminary sit-down with a pen and pad brought quite a lot of self-reflection, surprisingly. I knew applying was difficult but writing about the most shameful experience of your life and having no excuse for it is absolutely wrenching. So now, I'm prepping for the GMAT and about to enroll in an online class for my "alternate transcript" with the hope that admins will only chuckle and not collapse on the floor in a fit of unstoppable laughter when they read my transcript.

If you've made it this far... thanks! Updates to come.

This should be fun! :-D
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 11

Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 04:55
Hi GPAlbatross!

Welcome to the GMAT Club! I definitely feel your pain (I think I'm the other GPA that you saw :shock: :shh: ). College was a fun time, but on paper I've limited myself severely moving forward...

I'm starting my applications now and I'm aiming for all reach schools.

My advice to you is to keep your head up and focus on the upcoming GMAT!

It sounds like you have some excellent work experiences to draw on for you essays and I'm sure you'll have no problems getting into the right program for you!

If you're ever feeling down and out feel free to PM me or reach out to this awesome community! The support and information here is priceless and it inspires me to keep trucking on through my apps.

Good luck and let us know how your doing! :-D
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 05:32
Just excel on the GMAT and add supplementary letter explaining your immaturity in college. If you have achievements in sports you could add that also.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: HEC Jan'16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 30

Reviews Badge
Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 16:22
hey , i can understand how you feel but trust me its not the end of the world. I have a friend with an absolute horrible GPA which would be even lower than yours ,if he were to convert it , yet he managed to make it to a very good Canadian program. The key is to offset your GPA by a very strong GMAT score or as you are planning - an alternate transcript.

Its been done before and I am sure you will do it as well. Just give it all you have :)

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get!!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9474 [0], given: 3703

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2014, 08:22
Expert's post
Many thousands more people have attended MBA programs than top 10 schools.
Sure it will be much harder to get into the top 10 (not impossible) but you can get into hundreds of other schools. It is not horrible or terrible. Many people here have gone to non-top-10 and have done very well for themselves. Some have even dropped plans to attend as they found really good jobs/opportunities and MBA was no longer a needed step to their end-goal.

There are many roads to the final destinations. MBA is just one of them, and it is not an easy one.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 14:20
A low GPA isn't the end of the line for your application. Frankly, most programs care about a low GPA less than your more recent accomplishments and the factors that will more directly affect their rankings (read: GMAT and employability/salary potential post-MBA). In your essays you will need to both explain your past performance (the eloquent and honest passage above is a good start) and detail with evidence why that phase of your life is no longer an accurate measure of how you would perform in an MBA program. Strong work performance will be key, but you might also consider enrolling in one or two applicable night courses to prove that you can now perform well in an academic environment.
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 35

Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 22:17
Hi,

So to balance out the low GPA, two thoughts come to mind:

- Since you've been out of school for a while, solid work experience essays/reco letters can significantly improve your story (as GPA becomes a less accurate indicator of your ability so long down the road)
- Work really hard on your GMAT to cover up for GPA
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 35

Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2014, 22:18
Hi,

So to balance out the low GPA, two thoughts come to mind:

- Since you've been out of school for a while, solid work experience essays/reco letters can significantly improve your story (as GPA becomes a less accurate indicator of your ability so long down the road)
- Work really hard on your GMAT to cover up for GPA
Current Student
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.57

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 17:14
Have you considered going for your CFA designation? Is that common in the type of finance you are currently pursuing? Do you want to stay in finance, or switch careers? In many contexts (at least in the investment management world), a CFA with work experience is an acceptable substitute for MBA (although some places can be a bit snobby about getting Top 10 MBA grads).

I'm not an admissions consultant, but the hundreds or potentially thousands of dollars you might spend to get into an MBA program of some stature may still not yield the results you want (and then there's actually paying for the program). I also generally subscribe to the belief that your finishing degree should be equal to (or better) than your undergraduate institution in terms of prestige.

Why do you want your MBA? Is it just because your profession expects it? Nowhere in your post did I see any genuine desire to go back to school, other than to perhaps improve your academic record. Studying for CFA Level 2 in my opinion was harder than RC year finance courses at HBS - and getting the full designation is a recognition to be proud of.

I'd be interested in hearing more from you, OP.
Manager
Manager

Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2014, 06:58
GPAlbatross

How's it going so far? Any updates on your GMAT or applications?
Manager
Manager

Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks. [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2014, 04:33
Well, even though I didn't really start this thread, I thought I'd hijack it to vent a little.

It's been almost 6 months since I took the GMAT and convinced myself that I could get into business school. Like GPAlbatross, I knew I had an uphill battle from the start because of an abysmal undergad GPA, but after talking with several people over the months, doing endless research and even hiring a consultant, I thought I had a decent shot (calculated about a 50/50 chance of getting into at least one of my schools).

Now I know that it's still "early" in the b-school application season, however as I begin to see interviews begin to role out, I am starting to lose hope. I have been able to get one interview (from Kellogg however it appears they try to interview everyone), but after getting one clear ding I am getting another sinking feeling about the remaining schools. At this point, I think I'll be surprised with even one waitlist. I've already determined that I won't be applying to any more schools this year and I think once I get the official rejections from the other schools, I'll take a good long break away from all of this to see if I really want to make another go at it.

As a re-applicant next year, I don't know what I'll be able to do to make myself a stronger applicant. I've already gotten a masters degree and performed better than I did in undergrad (although still not stellar I guess). I can try and retake the GMAT (I do think that I could improve a little given I ran out of time just before answering the last IR question and I started both the Quant and Verbal sections late because my breaks ran longer than anticipated), however I've been told that it wouldn't do too much to improve my candidacy.

At the end of the day, maybe I'm just too much like everyone else, but with a past that has now finally come back to haunt me. I know there's a couple of more weeks before R1 is over, but I'm going to start to look for other ways to change my career. The unfortunate thing is that at this point in my career I think it's extremely hard to make a change without a degree and I do have more obligations (bills) now that I'm married and own our place (mortgage). As the years go by, it'll be even harder to make significant career changes due to these growing responsibilities.

For now, I'm just glad that I have gotten my thoughts out and I guess we'll see what the next few months brings.
Re: My experience is just starting... and it sucks.   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2014, 04:33