Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 12:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My experience through GMAT- No pressure, works wonder.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

My experience through GMAT- No pressure, works wonder. [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 23:20
When I first gave my GRE last year in Oct 2011, I never thought I would give GMAT in future. But I did and here I'm writing my experience of it. Perhaps because of my disastrous experience of GRE (980) in the old pattern I went on to taking a coaching for GMAT. I knew somewhere I lagged in my basics and in my preparation for the exam.

My first attempt was unexpectedly a disaster. I thought I did well because Math came out really well and english was tough though. My score was 430 (math: 38 and verbal: 12). I was disappointed despite being coached to give the exam. But the thirst for giving it a second shot did not dry up at all. The very next day I enrolled for the next exam date- one month after the first date. But my one month of preparation for the second attempt was very bad. I only concentrated on English and I was exercising at least half-an-hour a day. Sometimes not even that was practiced. Because work took over its toll on my prep.

The date came closer and closer by then I almost gave my ambition of pursuing MBA up. So there was no pressure on my mind. I finished giving my second attempt too. But the mark I secured was great for me. From 430 to 590 (math: 42 and verbal: 28). A 160 point increment as opposed to the average score increase suggested by the board of GMAT. For me it was a great achievement- for a person who's not that great either in math or in English, from the view of competitive exams. At least it is a competitive score setting a platform for me to swim and get through. I felt great and I'm gonna join a B-school in India with 3+ years of exp. My counselor told me I even have chances of getting through top B-schools such as SP Jain, XLRI, ISB and Great lakes.

The moral of the story is GMAT is an exam that not only tests the IQ of a person but also the person's caliber when put on pressure. That is why the time span given for each section is less than sufficient. I had no pressure that day simply because my ambition to pursue MBA almost diminished that day. So go and give the exam as though you are only giving for the sake of giving it or find some other way to make your pressure less prominent in your my mind. So that it becomes a cake walk for you. When there is no pressure you tend to work at your full potential. Because there is nothing to daunt your mind anymore. And your mind is free to work.

One suggestion is that don't get terrified or demoted by these articles shared and published online. Because most of them are mere imagination than reality. Not all the articles but at least most of them. I would rather suggest the prospective aspirants to find a new way for yourself to excel the test. Have these articles as an inspiration and have your own method as a determination. This way you can make your own method a strong choice to excel than someone else's method. "NO MATTER IF YOU FAIL, AT LEAST YOU ARE ALIVE TO ATTEMPT THE NEXT TIME."
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
My experience through GMAT- No pressure, works wonder.   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2012, 23:20