Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Experience with GMAT 740

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: My Experience with GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 05:06
wow, man, sudip135, awesome! It is amazing that you studied up so late. I just get so tired by 10. Spending time with kids is a priority too, so cannot study in the evening. But you showed me the light. If you want a great score, you need to put efforts in studying. No excuses.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My Experience with GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 08:43
Hello Dada,
It is really great to see this kind of study plan because I am also always very busy in work.
I will be very happy if u can share few things about RC, whether you face problems in English ,as you are not a native speaker , or how you prepared for RC

Thanks ,
Arun
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke, NUS,Rutgers
WE 1: Health & Life Science

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: My Experience with GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 12:01
Thank you Sudip!!!

Very Inspiring Debrief...

All the best for your Application process

Divakar!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: My Experience with GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 14:27
Amazing! Would appreciate if you could share more on the AWA.. and y insead is looking for a different profile? like whether a score of 740 is good enough for it. . . or ....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

Re: My Experience with GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 21:09
Congratualtions on your score, your hard work paid rich dividends :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: My Experience with GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 22:23
RC:
1. My test experience: pretty simple and straightforward passages. Lot of fact-based and strengthen/weaken Qs.
2. My preparation: mostly during mock tests. and around 15 passages from OG.
3. My test strategy: Read passage in reasonable time (3 mins avg), read Qs, if reqd go back to the passage
4. My time strategy: 6 - 7 mins for small passage; 8 - 9 mins for big passage
5. Suggestion (Must do): complete the OG passages under time-limit. If u r very good in SC, then u can spend some more time in RC.
6. Suggestion to Improve: Reference Kaplan. Understand various types of Qs and how to answer them differently. In this forum I hv read about other books/ ref mat like MGMAT/ Power Score/ RC Bible, but never tried. Someone else might help.
7. Be cautious: specially for inference Qs. Those can be tricky
8. Reading speed: if u hv studied in english, read the english newspaper and hv read english thrillers, then speed shouldn't be a problem. But still if u wanna improve, grow the habit of reading the english newspaper daily under time-limit. still better, read obscure articles from the internet - thr's no dearth of trash articles on the net; and reading from a computer screen simulates the test situation

AWA:
1. My test experience: very easy/ generic management topics. and surprisingly i finished before time :shock:
2. My preparation: almost nothing. always skipped these during mock tests. i think i hardly tried these in 2 or 3 mock tests. in addition, wrote 3 or 4 more under time pressure. most of the times i was unable to finish in 30 mins. fifteen days before my test, i gave it a thought and realized i need to do sth abt it. so started using the template (I'm really thankful to the person who posted the template in this forum. it's a GEM).
3. My test strategy: write down the logic/ points in first 3 or 4 mins. then use the template to elaborate
4. My time strategy: there was none. i just knew that it would tough to finish in time. so after writing the intro, i would write the conclusion just to ensure that the passage doesn't look unfinished.
5. Suggestion (Must do): use the template. but be flexible enough to modify it as per your comfort level. writing the points in the beginning really helps. so devote 3 or 4 mins for this. in the Argument essay the template is most important. In the Issue essay follow the pattern: Intro-Points for ur conclusion-conclusion.

In general the verbal section is very critical for us (non-native speakers). It could help a lot to improve the score. In case you wanna know sth more specific on RC/ AWA feel free to revert.

Thanks guys!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Experience with GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 11:42
Appreciate the detailed debrief, lots of good information for my own 5 week GMAT prep plan :?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: My Experience with GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 19:53
Amazing debriefs...Loved them.. I was so bogged down early in the day with my prep and was almost exhausted after long drive (50 min) to office. However, the debriefs just made me so feel so relaxed and spirited that I plan to double up my time for the prep now........
congratulations on the score and best of luck for your apps....great going
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: The Earth organization, India
WE 1: SAP consultant-IT 2 years
WE 2: Entrepreneur-family business 2 years
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: My Experience with GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 10:14
sudip->i have been searching a review on Kolkata test center.

If you are still active on this forum can u please let me know the details about the facility ?

Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: My Experience with GMAT 740 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 21:09
@ bblast - sorry but what facility are you talking about? You can share the details or connect with me
Re: My Experience with GMAT 740   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2011, 21:09