Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 06:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

my first admit

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 230
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
my first admit [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 11:04
@ Indian School of Business.... (http://www.isb.edu/)

okay...no reason for a major celebration :roll: but sure feels good... :)

As i perceive, there are certain advantages that ISB has over some of the better US BSchools in US or elsewhere (at least for me)

1) Excellent faculty and 5 star facilities
Most of the faculty is from reputed foreign business schools including Kellogg, Wharton, LBS, etc. and the infrastructure is excellent

2) One year MBA => less time out of work force and since i am not planning to switch careers, it should work out fine for me

3) Costs 1/3 rd of any elite US BSchool => smaller hole in my pocket.

4) It's in India => given my long term plan of working and settling in India, ISB be is a good option...plus my wife can work and hence ease the financial burden :wink:


And then there are certain disadvantages which might finally force me to opt for a US BSchool (if I get an admit, that is)

1) Brand Name
Let me put this simply: If I wish to work outside India, ISB brand name will not help me much (at least as of now). Within India, ISB has a pretty decent reputation…comparable to IIM-A (recently called the Harvard of the East)

2) Diversity
With only a handful of full time international students, ISB can not boast of much touted diversity…and again, 40% of it’s class is typically from IT background.

There are facts which I am sure are going to add to the complexity…I foresee a tough decision ahead...
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 1023
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: my first admit [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 11:08
Congratulations ! ISB will provide you good opportunites in India. I wouldn't go as far as comparing it with IIM-A.

luminos24 wrote:
@ Indian School of Business.... (http://www.isb.edu/)

okay...no reason for a major celebration :roll: but sure feels good... :)

As i perceive, there are certain advantages that ISB has over some of the better US BSchools in US or elsewhere (at least for me)

1) Excellent faculty and 5 star facilities
Most of the faculty is from reputed foreign business schools including Kellogg, Wharton, LBS, etc. and the infrastructure is excellent

2) One year MBA => less time out of work force and since i am not planning to switch careers, it should work out fine for me

3) Costs 1/3 rd of any elite US BSchool => smaller hole in my pocket.

4) It's in India => given my long term plan of working and settling in India, ISB be is a good option...plus my wife can work and hence ease the financial burden :wink:


And then there are certain disadvantages which might finally force me to opt for a US BSchool (if I get an admit, that is)

1) Brand Name
Let me put this simply: If I wish to work outside India, ISB brand name will not help me much (at least as of now). Within India, ISB has a pretty decent reputation…comparable to IIM-A (recently called the Harvard of the East)

2) Diversity
With only a handful of full time international students, ISB can not boast of much touted diversity…and again, 40% of it’s class is typically from IT background.

There are facts which I am sure are going to add to the complexity…I foresee a tough decision ahead...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: my first admit [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 11:17
luminos24 wrote:
Within India, ISB has a pretty decent reputation…comparable to IIM-A (recently called the Harvard of the East)

Congrats luminos! I recently came across an article which said McGill was the Harvard of Canada :)
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2006
Posts: 133
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 12:18
The placement stats look impressive. $$$
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 1855
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: my first admit [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 17:38
Paul wrote:
luminos24 wrote:
Within India, ISB has a pretty decent reputation…comparable to IIM-A (recently called the Harvard of the East)

Congrats luminos! I recently came across an article which said McGill was the Harvard of Canada :)


Actually, my Canadian friends call Harvard the McGill of the US. They're particular that way.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Posts: 155
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 17:44
Congrats luminos!! Finally you've a reason to party on.. :-D
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 18:04
congrats, luminos, even if you are not completely decided an admit will ease the tension. go party!

Cheers. L.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 230
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 19:50
lhotseface wrote:
Congratulations ! ISB will provide you good opportunites in India. I wouldn't go as far as comparing it with IIM-A.




thanx...

i think ISB is generating vibes of it's own kind in India...give the fact that it's only 5 odd years old...maybe i shouldn't go as far as comparing it to IIM-A...

Paul wrote:
Congrats luminos! I recently came across an article which said McGill was the Harvard of Canada :)


hahahaha...yeah...Harvard of the east is stetching it a bit too far...i just stated what i read recently

thanx for you wishes Paul

MoonShine wrote:
The placement stats look impressive. $$$


they are actually! ...and that makes the ROI even more impressive...

mbadart07 wrote:
Congrats luminos!! Finally you've a reason to party on.. :-D


thanx...but then...who needs a reason to party!! :wink:

lepium wrote:
congrats, luminos, even if you are not completely decided an admit will ease the tension. go party!

Cheers. L.


thanx lepium...it sure will go a long way in soothing my nerves (especially after a ding from MIT w/o interview)...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2006
Posts: 123
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 06:26
Congrats luminos24! Getting into ISB is no mean feat.
It will be a nice problem to have if you get accepted to some of the other schools that you've applied to!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 665
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: my first admit [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 06:35
luminos24 wrote:
@ Indian School of Business.... (http://www.isb.edu/)

okay...no reason for a major celebration :roll: but sure feels good... :)

As i perceive, there are certain advantages that ISB has over some of the better US BSchools in US or elsewhere (at least for me)

1) Excellent faculty and 5 star facilities
Most of the faculty is from reputed foreign business schools including Kellogg, Wharton, LBS, etc. and the infrastructure is excellent

2) One year MBA => less time out of work force and since i am not planning to switch careers, it should work out fine for me

3) Costs 1/3 rd of any elite US BSchool => smaller hole in my pocket.

4) It's in India => given my long term plan of working and settling in India, ISB be is a good option...plus my wife can work and hence ease the financial burden :wink:


And then there are certain disadvantages which might finally force me to opt for a US BSchool (if I get an admit, that is)

1) Brand Name
Let me put this simply: If I wish to work outside India, ISB brand name will not help me much (at least as of now). Within India, ISB has a pretty decent reputation…comparable to IIM-A (recently called the Harvard of the East)

2) Diversity
With only a handful of full time international students, ISB can not boast of much touted diversity…and again, 40% of it’s class is typically from IT background.

There are facts which I am sure are going to add to the complexity…I foresee a tough decision ahead...



Congrats time to

:woohoo :musband :wave

Can You share youre profile with us?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 07:42
CONGRATS MAN!! :-D :-D :-D :-D
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 230
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 10:41
gauravgoyal_g wrote:
Congrats luminos24! Getting into ISB is no mean feat.
It will be a nice problem to have if you get accepted to some of the other schools that you've applied to!


thanx Gaurav...i agree the getting into ISB is no mean feat (given the huge number of applicants) and i am glad that i made it...and yes...it will be an interesting situation if if if i get accepted at Haas/Tepper...let's see...that's one problem i would love to solve :wink:

venky1979 wrote:
Congrats time to

:woohoo :musband :wave

Can You share youre profile with us?


Thanx Venky....i have the usual profile which is oh-so-common around here :wink:

GMAT: 760, Q:50, V:44, AWA:4.5
TOEFL: 114/120
GPA: 3.0
Work experience: FT 7 years at matriculation
Nationality: Indian
Age: 29
Extra-curriculars/community: Good
Area of interest in MBA : Information Systems, Strategy

rhyme wrote:
CONGRATS MAN!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Thanx rhyme...i owe this in part to you too...after all, you did review my essays....thanx for that! :-D
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1390
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 12:28
luminos24 wrote:
gauravgoyal_g wrote:
Congrats luminos24! Getting into ISB is no mean feat.
It will be a nice problem to have if you get accepted to some of the other schools that you've applied to!


thanx Gaurav...i agree the getting into ISB is no mean feat (given the huge number of applicants) and i am glad that i made it...and yes...it will be an interesting situation if if if i get accepted at Haas/Tepper...let's see...that's one problem i would love to solve :wink:

venky1979 wrote:
Congrats time to

:woohoo :musband :wave

Can You share youre profile with us?


Thanx Venky....i have the usual profile which is oh-so-common around here :wink:

GMAT: 760, Q:50, V:44, AWA:4.5
TOEFL: 114/120
GPA: 3.0
Work experience: FT 7 years at matriculation
Nationality: Indian
Age: 29
Extra-curriculars/community: Good
Area of interest in MBA : Information Systems, Strategy

rhyme wrote:
CONGRATS MAN!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Thanx rhyme...i owe this in part to you too...after all, you did review my essays....thanx for that! :-D


Wow congrats!! ISB is a good school.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2006
Posts: 513
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 16:58
Luminos,

Why do you say it's not a reason for celebration? It's a good school and given that your long term plan is India, it sure will be a strong brand in the coming years.

Enjoy and celebrate!
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 20:54
Congrats Luminos

Great going
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 444
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 09:46
Congrats!! Great job!
  [#permalink] 12 Feb 2007, 09:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
My first admit popew626 11 21 Feb 2006, 11:30
My first admit bsmith75 8 17 Jan 2006, 18:52
My first Admit - Wharton!!!! banerjeea_98 53 22 Dec 2005, 07:37
My first Admit carsen 6 19 Mar 2005, 11:56
My first Admit carsen 1 19 Mar 2005, 11:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

my first admit

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.