Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Baner,
I was busy for a while. Many Congratulation. You deserved it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATS banerjeea for all the admits :P You have happy problem to chose between these distinguished schools. Awesome achievement!!

Please stick around to help us.

duttsit
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Man..You are acing every thing !!!

Great...

BTW..Many experts talk of "Essays Quality improves with Iteration " etc

Did you find any such thing ? ..

you Applied to 4 /5 in Round 1 with a close deadlines and aced 2....dinged at 2.....ANy insight on why Kellogg/MIT were dinged and how Wharton/GSB were a success...was it passion about these schools in the essays?

Did u get the essays reviewed by any one ...

share ur thoughts

Cheers

Yes iteration is necessary, but overdoing it kills the original flavor. Have no more than two ppl review as too many feedback may not be advisable. Also I am got dinged from Kellogg and Columbia and not from MIT (yet). Kellogg was a surprise as I thot my app there was even stronger than Wharton. Columbia was a backup for me. So I on purpose delayed scheduling the interview for >30 days and I think adcomm realized that Columbia was a backup for me as I was waiting for Dec 22 for Wharton decision. Anyways none of which matters as Wharton, for me, surpasses them all. Altho I didn't like Philly much compared to Chicago, it is still Wharton for me. Altho I will attend both Welcome Wknds.....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the insight mate!!

Wish you good luck from MIT as well....you are rocking man

cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
banerjeea. Congrats. I have been off the boards here for awhile. After I submitted all my 2nd round apps, and take a nice vacation after to reward myself, I have been able to get back to this forum. It's nice to see people getting into school. It's very inspiring. Anyway, thanks for choosing to go to Wharton. I applied to the Chicago GSB full time, so I know that one spot for admission will not be taken by you :-D

Congrats again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats Baner! You certainly deserve to be where you are. You have worked hard enough.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys I am still in India....will respond to all ur PMs and queries once I return. Sorry for the delay.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
great news banerjeea_98, I guess I won't be seeing u @ chicago then
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Happy you picked your choice baneerja. May I ask you to be an ambassador for Wharton?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul wrote:
Happy you picked your choice baneerja. May I ask you to be an ambassador for Wharton?

Sure Paul, I wud love to be the ambassador for Wharton, if that is where I end up. That's how it seems to be unfolding for now.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi baner! I haven't been here for some time and have just heard this great news. Just want to say congratulations!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
banerjeea_98 wrote:
Thank you all for your wishes. Now that I am done with my apps, I have lil time to write a short write up abt my exp.
Also I will be vacationing starting from today and all thro Jan, so I will be checking msgs few times within now and then.

As some of u might know that my journey started with GMAT. Being in indian pool, I was drilled into my head abt scoring
750+ to stand a chance in top 5. So I thot I needed 750+ and scored 760. Altho I am not sure whether my admit has anything
to do with my score but I didn't want to keep any stones unturned as being a 30 yo, I needed to start MBA now.

Once I was done with GMAT, I took few weeks off and started the harrowing journey of apps. Initially I liked it but towards the end I was sick and tired of it. Joined BW forum and Wharton's s2s. Based on my engg background I knew I needed to show
that I am more than just an engg. So I chucked everything abt engg and tech and in all the essays focused on my soft skills
and leadership roles. Plz know that "leadership" doesn't just mean that u have to have someone reporting to u (that's what I
thot and sweat abt it). It is in everything u do....ur initiative, ur team skills......try to identify ur small and big accomplishments. Remember nothig is small, all u need is to think abt how it added value to u and adcomm will see it too. Being an engg is hard,as we don't have hard numbers to show tangible accomplishments, however, if u lead projects etc highlight it as ur leadership skills. Once leadership and team skills angle are addressed, leave an essay to talk abt ur unique family background etc.

I know if u read BW forum and Sandy's msgs, one wud think that all the ppl from India r clones of each other, but that is BS as each and everyone here has unique life, so reflect to it and show it in ur essay as to how ur background and family life was unique and how it helped u develop. If u have good acads and GMAT, forget abt showing ur academic potential, let ur score
and GPA do the work for u, so don't waste even a single line on ur essays abt ur academic achievements.

Re: school research, I used "MBA Game Plan" and websites. I didn't bother going to classes and on-campus visit, I think
it is overrated. I only went to HBS and MIT as they r within driving distance, that's all. I had only one rule of thumb. If ur
schools is small like Tuck or Cornell, then take the extra effort an go as they r sensitive to their yield and think ppl
use them as backup, but if ur school is big they don't care. Also as another rule, if ur school gives interviews to everyone
then it is not that imp to go on-campus for interview, however, if it is invitation only then go to on-campus, if possible. I was suprised that in the school visit when I asked what makes ur school unique, they all gave me same BS abt community, leadership env etc. It was ironical that schools expect from us that we be unique but at the sametime can't come up with something unique to distinguish themselves from peers :-D

Make sure u show lot of knowledge and passion for the school in ur essays and work in any alumni names that u might have talked to (I tried talking to atleast one from each school - good fodder for essays). Look at adcomm interview in BW for
schools and try to work in the same "buzzwords" that adcomm says in the interviews in ur essays e.g. HBS is all abt
leadership, empathy etc. In u r why school X ques, make sure u talk abt some courses and then talk a lot abt the clubs
etc that will help u. But don't just list all clubs, make sure they tie into ur passion (e.g. music in my case) and goals.

U need to workin ur leadership, team skills in all ur essays in equal proportions for all schools.If u only talk abt leadership then adcomms mite wonder if u cud be an effective team player and vice versa.

Lastly, there is lot of BS abt MBA app process, so don't believe in everything u hear in forums, consultants etc. Specially I have a feeling that some consulting services try to instill fear in some app groups (e.g. Indian subgp) to get more business. Remember, no matter if u r an engg, IT type (I hate that word !) or not, u r unique in ur life, exp, personality. Bring these in the table and u will be all set.

Stay +ve and aim high, u will get there!

Hope the write up was helpful....shoot me any questions, preferably post it here instead of IM as it will help everyone in the forum.

Good luck to all......I will be checking the forum intermittently.....

first congratulations to you for being accepted in schools such as chicago and wharton.

also thanks for your detail posts with invaluable insights and inputs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATULATIONS, banerjeea!

I joined this group few days back and have already come across your valuable inputs. Your experience sharing is very encouraging to me esp. your attitude toward "IT type" :) Thanks for all inputs.

Lets top it!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats.... [#permalink]
Thats one achievement.

I'm aiming for TOP 5 too. I know its easy to say and tough to accomplish but I would try my best.

I would be frequent to these msgs boards now.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you all for wishes......Now that I am back from my long vacation....I will be frequent on these forums and will try to help out as much as I possibly can before the "real deal" starts in Fall'06.....Have questions? Shoot....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi banerjeea_98,
I'm also in IT field. I'm thinking about switching my career to Management Consulting or Finance, but heard that it's very difficult to do so. Do you intend to stay in IT after MBA?
Thanks.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
bento wrote:
Hi banerjeea_98,
I'm also in IT field. I'm thinking about switching my career to Management Consulting or Finance, but heard that it's very difficult to do so. Do you intend to stay in IT after MBA?
Thanks.

Guys, small news from my side......Wharton gave me a merit-based fellowship of 20% tuition waiver for 2 yrs of study....that seals the deal in favor of Wharton for me...... :-D

Bento,

No I don't intend to work in IT after MBA.....I will shoot for MC.....I know many engg who have made the switch easily......where did u hear that it is tough to move to MC?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3