Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My first AWA attempt...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
WE: Operations (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 68

My first AWA attempt... [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 11:04
I was going to just take the Verabl/Math portion of the Veritas free test, but I decided to go ahead and attempt everything. I really havent put forth any effort in preparing for the AWA, but I'm glad I incorporated it in this practice exam as it was more difficult than I expected. Any advice would be appreciated, but go easy on me I'm an enginner major who hasnt written a formal paper in 6+ years.

Also, is the Veritas prep considered easy? I scored a 740 which is much higher than I had been scoring on the MGMAT test, but maybe I just turned a corner....I hope so.

The following appeared as part of an article reviewing summer camps for children.

Parents, if you need a summer camp for your children look no further than Federville Farms. In a recent survey, Federville Farms ranked first in both overall camper satisfaction and in food quality, and second in the variety of outdoor activities. Federville Farms has been family owned and operated for over forty years, so you have nothing to worry about when it comes to your child's safety, and it employs more Red Cross certified lifeguards than any other camp in the state. If you seek the best camp experience for your children, Federville Farms is the best choice you can make.

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

The above article tries to persuade parents of future summer camp students to attend the Federville Farms summer camp because of positive recent survey feedback and because the camp is safe, overall. The claims in the article are ill founded as they inaccurately jump to conclusions without sufficient evidence. For example, the article highlights safety at the camp, but provides no real evidence, it fails to adequately provide a correlation between the fact the the camp is family owned and the safety of the attendees. Furthermore, the review discusses the number of lifeguards, but does not address the more important number, the proportion of life guards to campers. Lastly, the paragraph on Federville Farms does not provide the details on the cited survey.

First, the article illogically draws a correlation between who actually owns the camp with the overall safety of the attendees. The fact the camp is family own does not prove that Federville Farms is any more safe than any other camp. To more accurately judge this statement the author might cite the number of safety incidents at the camp over the past ten years as compared to other camps with similar activites. Again to compare safety to who actually owns the camp is illogical.

In additiion to being family owned, the review also cites numerous lifegaurds as a sign of safety at the camp. Again, the comparison lacks merit. To properly judge the merits of this argument one would need the proportion of lifeguards to the proportion of students. Furthermore, the number could be irrelevant becuase, in theory, ever other camp in the state could be complety void of lifeguards becasue of lack of need. That is to say that maybe Federville Farm's might be the only camp in the state that has water activites associated with the camp. If this were the case the point is completely invalid as it relates to comparing the safety of Federville to other camps.

Lastly, the survey that the review uses fails to provide any information of the source of the survey or of whom was surveyed. Surveys are easily manipulated and are often used to persuade consumers' decision making. For the survey in the article to hold merit, the reader needs to know the validity of the source, the sample size, and who was all included in the sample. In theory, the survey could've been conducted using only repeat campers of the Federville Farms who are more likely to give positive feedback.

In conclusion the review lacks pertinent information needed for the consumer to properly make a judgment. Is the survey valid? Whats the proportion of lifeguards to campers and how does that compare to other camps in the state? Also, the article jumps to the conclusion that the camp in safe becasue it is family owned and has been for forty years, but in reality, there is no correlation between the two. Overall the article lacks substance and illogically jumps to conclusions.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
My first AWA attempt...   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2014, 11:04