Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:06

Hurry Up:

Last day of registration for Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V, 5.5 AWA)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V, 5.5 AWA) [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2008, 14:49
Let me preface my breakdown by saying thanks those who have responded to my questions and provided support while I've been perusing the site. Although I'm quite disappointed with my results today, I must admit I needed a bit more time. As a background, here were my CAT results pre-test:

Kaplan CAT #1: 510 (forget the breakdown), this was with about 2 weeks of studying
GMATPrep CAT #1: 480 (33 Q, 23V) - I dont know what happened here!
MGMAT CAT #1: 560 (36Q, 31 V)
MGMAT CAT #2: 620 (37 Q, 37 V)
MGMAT CAT #3: 600 (39Q, 34V)

So, as you might conclude, I was not nearly ready to achieve my goal of 650+ today. I believe I made the mistake of rushing to just get my first experience out of the way. I dont think I was solid enough on the core quant concepts and really need to focus on geometry, work/rate and combo/perm questions. My verbal could certainly use a shot in the arm in regard to SC and CR.

Here were my study materials:
OG Guide 11th ed.
OG Quant & Verbal Review Books
MGMAT SC
Kaplan 2008 w/ the disc
Kaplan Math Review book
PR Crash Course to GMAT (bought a week before the test, just used for some tricks/tips)

To my surprise, I wasnt as nervous as I thought Id be today. I went to bed by midnight for my 1pm exam. Woke up at 930, solid amount of sleep. Ate well in the morning w/ some oatmeal, almonds and a banana. Made sure I hit the bathroom before my test and brought a few kashi granola bars with me for the breaks. I knew where the test center was since it was close to home and made sure I got there by 12:15. I was able to sign in early and start by 12:45 or so after reading the GMAC rules they hand to you as well as showing my ID and getting through the digital fingerprinting. Additionally, I chose a locker for my stuff and stored my watch and cell...man Im still using transition words for my post! :lol:

Just a notice to anyone who lives in the NYC area, I heard some horror stories about the test centers in Manhattan so I decided to head to White Plains, NY. Since my fam lives in that area, I felt itd be less stressful and/or crowded. The facility was nice and the women working there were very pleasant.

As for my testing experience, Im pretty sure I rocked the AWA. I was under the impression that Id get a raw score for that today, but didnt have anything on the unofficial report printout. I made sure to use an introduction, 3 points and conclusion. I used transitional wording and chose a side on the Issue and exposed flaws in the Argument.

My quant section hit me with quite a few x,y graph/coordinate questions, wasnt too ready for those. I barely studied that part of the quant section. Also, I had a timing issue as I had to guess on the last 4-5 questions. As I said earlier, the geometry, work/rate and combo/perms questions are my biggest weakness. Im wondering if buying the GMAT Club challenges would be to my benefit. Ive read that its only beneficial to those who score in the 40+ range.

As for the verbal, I had a few SC questions at the beginning and then saw the dreaded science RC passage next. I thought I was doing well and then got a 2nd consecutive RC passage. Ughh. Not once did I see a practice test with two consecutive RC sections. I thought I was getting some tough CR questions toward the middle of the section and then I started getting some easy SC questions, wasnt happy. By the end, I had to rush the last few questions and guessed on the last 2-3.

Overall, it feels great to get this first try out of the way. I now know what to expect from the testing center, process and atmosphere. I feel I can work on all my weak areas over a 8-10 week period and take the test again by the middle of May or so.

Hope my review was useful to some of you out there. I know Id be happier to give one of these with a 650+ next time!

Last edited by kilograms on 07 Aug 2008, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V) [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2008, 18:54
Ohh,

So are you plannig to retake? I would recommend you to retake, and plan for atleast 3 months (if you have a full time job).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V) [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2008, 20:19
yeah.. takes about 3 months to prepare fully...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V) [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
You can get the score you want in due time. 3 months may work for you and expect 100 more points. Hey the real GMAT is good prep in itself. Next time you'll know what to expect to some extent. At least you are improving, just keep it up.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V) [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 04:32
Also, the MGMAT word translations book may help your weak quant areas.
Intern
Intern

Re: My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V) [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 05:26
tick66 wrote:
Also, the MGMAT word translations book may help your weak quant areas.

Thanks Tick, Ill probably buy that. I liked the SC book, really do need to continue with that as well.

I know I can get there.
Intern
Intern

Re: My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V) [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 07:38
Hey guys,

Im back posting after a few months off but have continued my lurking every so often. Im getting back into the GMAT now, studying this weekend will be my first time since March or so. I know I shouldnt have taken so much time off, but I needed a break. Plus Ive concentrated on my overall resume and visited a few schools this summer.

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone could offer advice for a new study plan. My old materials are listed in the first part of this thread, and I was considering adding a few more pieces to focus on. I.e.;

Jeff Sackmann's Math Bible
GMAT Club Challenges
MGMAT Number Properties Book
MGMAT Word Translations Book

I can admit, I did not fully go through the OG11 the first time around. I know Ill be doing so this time.

Im aiming for 40s on both sections as verbal has always been my stronger area. Id like a good balance and as 700 is my goal, 650+ would be gravy.

Would love to hear some of your thoughts! Good to be back in the swing of things...Im ready for this.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V) [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 09:32
dude i personally feel,if you do Og 11,Og 10(It has lot of PS/DS questions) and OG supplement seriously and work out on your weak areas,You can easily cross 45 mark even with few wrong answers.Rest should be fine since verbal score is pretty good.The moment you get a split like 46,36 sure you :-D will be in the late 600's...may be touch 700 too...All the best.Happy gmatting!
Intern
Intern

Re: My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V) [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 12:46
suyashjhawar wrote:
dude i personally feel,if you do Og 11,Og 10(It has lot of PS/DS questions) and OG supplement seriously and work out on your weak areas,You can easily cross 45 mark even with few wrong answers.Rest should be fine since verbal score is pretty good.The moment you get a split like 46,36 sure you :-D will be in the late 600's...may be touch 700 too...All the best.Happy gmatting!

Thanks bro. I might just go with the OG books for a bit and then purchase the GMAT Club challenges. If need be, the MGMAT books will be a supplemental purchase as well. 46/36 would be great. If I can bring both sections to the lows 40s, Id be pleased.
Re: My first GMAT experience today...570 (34Q, 34V)   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2008, 12:46