Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My first Manhattan CAT experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 19:38
OK, so i finally buckled down and did my first Manhattan CAT tonight. Matter of fact, it was my first CAT, period. I should mention that I didnt set any of the time limits; I wanted to see what I could do under an un-timed situation, just to get a feel for things.

I ended up with a 690, with a Q score of 41 and a V score of 42. My Q was in the 66th percentile, while my V was in the 93rd. Suffice it to say that I know what I have to work on.

Now, I'd like to know how indicative the Manhattan CAT scores are. Im saving the GMAT preps for the end, so I havent cracked those yet. Does it make sense to get a 690 with the Q/V split I had ? Does the Verbal part count for more or something ?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2008, 21:50
pmenon wrote:
OK, so i finally buckled down and did my first Manhattan CAT tonight. Matter of fact, it was my first CAT, period. I should mention that I didnt set any of the time limits; I wanted to see what I could do under an un-timed situation, just to get a feel for things.

I ended up with a 690, with a Q score of 41 and a V score of 42. My Q was in the 66th percentile, while my V was in the 93rd. Suffice it to say that I know what I have to work on.

Now, I'd like to know how indicative the Manhattan CAT scores are. Im saving the GMAT preps for the end, so I havent cracked those yet. Does it make sense to get a 690 with the Q/V split I had ? Does the Verbal part count for more or something ?

Manhattan GMAT is just not an accurate representation of Verbal .beware!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 04:02
Thanks. Is Manhattan verbal supposed to be easier or tougher than the real thing ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 05:47
easier
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 06:23
pmenon,

Even if it does not correlates with the real GMAT, I would say this score is encouraging and flattering. This should encourage you to go for even more.

When are you taking the real thing?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 06:26
hey maverick, thanks for your comment. i havent set a date for the real thing. noticed youre in toronto as well; all the toronto centre exams start at 8 AM. Not gonna work for me ... I will probably end up writing in Pickering.

to tell you the truth, i was suprised to see a 690, considering how horribly i did on the math section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 06:26
I got a 39 on the verbal on the real GMAT and my verbal range on manhatann was 32-36 (3 tests). So I thought grading was harder at the least, but I can't really see the differente between "easy" and "hard" verbal.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 06:49
I took my MGMAT CAT 1 too past weekend, the Quant was brutal, struggled with time the whole section scored a 42 but for some reason I did very poorly in verbal ended up with a 32 and my final score was humbling a 590.

I was told most ppl tend to do the MGMAT CAT's with timer off? is that true?

Anyway, it was a frustrating CAT.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 08:45
I actually took my 2nd MGMAT CAT yesterday and scored 620 (37Q, 37V) but Id say the Verbal was harder than others. I really do believe any sort of practice helps, regardless of what the consensus is. In order to get better at either section, consistent understanding of concepts and keeping error logs are key.

I would probably say the ranges of Verbal/Quant scaled scores on MGMAT are still +/- 2 or 3 near your true measurement.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2008, 13:32
cool experiences!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2008, 05:59
mgmat CAT has a more forgiving scoring system. Their previous tests (not adaptive) were notoriously difficult, but not impossible like the Kraplan ones.

I wouldn't be too encouraged about your score since it was un-timed. Honestly, from this point on, you should time everything. One of the skills that the gmat tests is time management.

Other than that, it's a great start. As for the GMATPrep, if you've read my posts, you'll know that I think it's golden. However, don't wait until the last week to take it. That would be too late in the game. I took my first GMATPrep after I confidently learned almost all of the concepts that was tested. After that, I took the second one about 2 weeks before the actual test, the night before the deadline to reschedule. I told myself I had to break 700 on GMATPrep2, otherwise I would have to delay the actual test. That was great motivation.

Good luck
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2008, 09:52
The MGMAT verbal is a little off. I would be careful with it, it’s just not the same as the real GMAT, and extensive studying of it may not prep you for the actual exam. This is especially true of the RC and CR. The OG11 is the way to go.

I used the MGMAT extensively to build quant endurance. The quant questions are more tangled than the real GMAT, and it takes more time to get to the root of the issue. Working on these questions, under a time crunch, builds your ability to ‘crack the nut’ of the problem quickly. It also helps you eliminate silly mistakes.

I wouldn’t recommend doing CATs without the clock ticking. If you want to study, I’d do the problems in the official guide. Not only are they are more relevant, but you'll want to save the limited number of CATs that are around for when you are ready for endurance work.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2008, 10:08
Regarding the timing: I can't emphasize enough how important timing everything is. I timed every question. For each answer choice, I had three stats:
1. right or wrong
2. my confidence, basically, did I guess? how sure am I with the answer?
3. how long it took me to solve the problem.

Even if it takes you 5 minutes to solve a problem, you need to take note of it and recognize why it took you so long and whether it's feasible or worth it to learn the concept that would help you get the answer.
Re: My first Manhattan CAT experience   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2008, 10:08